mb quart qp 400
Feb 3, 2004 at 8:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

naughty#9

New Head-Fier
has anyone heard these or know anything about them?

QP400_Headphones.jpg

Closed, Dynamic Acoustic Principle
Circumaural Design Principle
14-24k Hz Frequency Response
2 x 300 Ohms Nominal Impedance
> 93 dB Sound Pressure Level
Continuous power rating - 100 mW
Average pressure on ears ~ 3 N
Weight (w/o cord) - 8.5 oz.
Length of cord - 5 Feet
Straight Cord
Termination - Gold Plated 1/4" Stereo plug

Oct 15, 2004 at 7:24 AM Post #2 of 29
i havent but i was wondering the same thing
infact i was wondering the same thing about the entire mb quart line
i have mb quart speakers and sub in my car and they sound much better then anything else i have herd so i was wondering about the headphones

Oct 15, 2004 at 4:57 PM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Entropism
Knowing MB Quart from the car audio world, they're going to be painfully bright. But, the highs will be insanely accurate.

But on that same tip they are considered some of the best comps you can get for a car! I'm sure they'ed make a decent pair of phones.

--Illah

Oct 15, 2004 at 6:51 PM Post #7 of 29
Actually, I can list about a dozen brands and a lot more specific models I'd take over the Quart comps. They're nowhere near "best", they have one model that's very good. The rest are average, only because of the listening fatigue. The problem with MB Quart is, they give you probably the most accurate tweeter you can get, and it's VERY sensitive to power. Then they pair it with a flat, dull, lifeless midbass, and you end up cranking the volume to hear it. Which, in turn, turns up the tweeter to painful levels, and so on and so on. The only model I know of that Quart actually added a good midbass was the MBQ line, which was $700+ at the time, and pales in comparison to other speakers in that price range. Seas Lotus, for example, DLS Iridiums (I bought them because I think they ARE the best, my budget went through the roof on these), JBL GTi (don't chuckle till you hear these beasts, IF you can find them), Focal Utopias, etc.

Oct 15, 2004 at 8:57 PM Post #8 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by naughty#9
has anyone heard these or know anything about them?

Didn't even know MB Quart made headphones...I was so intrigued when I saw this post last night I dug around a bit. Didn't find much, but here goes:

1.) According to this ebay ad, they're manufactured by the Rockford Corporation, who also own Rockford Fosgate, Hafler, and some others. I don't know, but I suspect that the MB Quart 'phones (and possibly speakers) that are available here in the states are different from the MB Quart products made in their manufacturing plant in Germany.

2.) As Entropism said, they are reportedly bright (according to Head-Fi member Canman).

3.) They are among the most comfortable headphones that Head-Fi member Akira has ever used.

4.) I assume you've seen this site. Yuck, they make those indestructible 'phones like the ones that you find in listening stations at places like Tower, Barnes & Noble, and the Virgin Megastore.

That's all I could find out! Won't someone take a $90 bullet for the team and let us know how they are?

Oct 15, 2004 at 9:00 PM Post #9 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by naughty#9
2 x 300 Ohms Nominal Impedance
> 93 dB Sound Pressure Level

Those will probably need some serious amplification to reach even reasonable volume levels.

jesse

Oct 16, 2004 at 12:14 AM Post #11 of 29
Actually, several years ago, in a trade mag, they did a shoot-out of monitoring headphones, and the MB Quarts effectively won. The mag is defunct now -- Pro Audio Review, I think? Also, I forget which model.

Oct 16, 2004 at 8:09 PM Post #13 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReDVsion
Striking resemblance to the DT531s...

Exactly my thought. Too bad seller won't ship outside US ... otherwise I'll submit comparison report =) The one I 'own' is Quart 55x which somehow still "in the mail" since 2 months ago. Grrr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back