MB Quart Phones 85
Apr 28, 2007 at 2:35 AM Post #31 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great pics. Can you describe how PMB100 sounds in comparison to QP85? Are they completely different headphones?

If the QP85 is like an ice crystal, the PMB100 is like flowing lava. For me the QP85 sounded good right away, while I didn't like the PMB100 at all at first-- but in the end it's the 100 that feels indispensable, for me. It has a lot to do with the way it handles voices. For general use, the 85 is the better option. The Silvertone barely deserves to be called a Jecklin; it's overdamped to the point of ruining the soundstage and has inferior drivers to begin with.

In both cases, though, the bass-canceling backwave (due to the 'completely open' design) is a nuisance-- the drivers are producing great bass, but it doesn't all reach the ear. You can hear it if you block the baffle with tape, but it will ruin the soundstage. Theoretically some thinnish felt damping applied either behind the driver or flat behind the baffle should fix the bass without too much soundstage degradation. It's a pretty easy frame for potential modding, like working on the engine of a seventies truck-- plenty of room to see what you're doing.

Did someone ask for details on the stats? Sorry, can't find the bias voltage listing. But I do have this, courtesy of MB's Willi Pressuti:

pmb5001000electrostaticwf5.jpg

Apr 28, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #32 of 293
Quote:

Quote:

One more pic. You can see the slider here on the side.

QP85_3_s.jpg

Beautiful set of headphones!
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a little treat for you from the files of WertherDVX:

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/805...bseriesun6.jpg

Clockwise from top left: PMB100 orthdynamic, PMB Silvertone SL, QP85, and the elusive PMB500 electrostat.

Ok, I now have a task; Tracking down a pair of MB Quart PMB500 or 1000!
Might end up being a hopeless task. But I will give it a go...

Apr 30, 2007 at 4:22 PM Post #33 of 293
I must say that after a little weekend listening to QP85 I do like them a lot. Now the question is how do the QP95 sound? They look nothing like the PQ85 and seem to be similar to the current Quart model QP400. What are they worth on the used market and are they worth getting?
confused.gif

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:18 PM Post #34 of 293
Quote:

I must say that after a little weekend listening to QP85 I do like them a lot. Now the question is how do the QP95 sound? They look nothing like the PQ85 and seem to be similar to the current Quart model QP400. What are they worth on the used market and are they worth getting?
confused.gif

QP95 is very nearly the same headphone as the current QP400 or its closed sister, the QP450-- supposedly there has been a driver tweak, no more AFAIK. It has bigger drivers than the QP85 but no more detail and lack the Jecklin soundstage, of course. Similar in construction to the old DT990, but from the sound probably much closer to the DT931 (from what I read, never yet heard a 931). Read my review of the QP95 here. Among other head-fi members who know this headphone, Nikongod and Flyinghigh had a QP400 some time ago, and my old QP95 is now in the hands of Vitopanch.

Apr 30, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #35 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Among other head-fi members who know this headphone, Nikongod and Flyinghigh had a QP400 some time ago, and my old QP95 is now in the hands of Vitopanch.

Thanks so much for all the info. You are like the knowledge base of all things Quart.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2007 at 5:44 PM Post #36 of 293
I just bought a pair of these. Does that mean I'm joining Team MB and Team Jecklin with one purchase?

May 1, 2007 at 7:21 PM Post #37 of 293
Maybe... though I like the sound of 'Team Float' more than 'Team Jecklin'.
smily_headphones1.gif

I am warming up to my pair, and think I will be using them as my permanent gaming/computer headphones with my Sol Headphone Amplifier. I do intend to mod/recable them at some point and see how far I can push them, but I don't see how they could displace my K340's for my music listening.

May 1, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #38 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just bought a pair of these. Does that mean I'm joining Team MB and Team Jecklin with one purchase?

I think we should both join.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 1, 2007 at 7:59 PM Post #39 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by ericj /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I prefer the name Team: Swiss Crash Helmets.

May 1, 2007 at 8:20 PM Post #40 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That's probably the more inclusive way to go about it - Joerg Jecklin didn't personally have anything to do with the Ergo design (iirc?), but it's clearly a swiss crash helmet.

May 2, 2007 at 12:26 AM Post #41 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by philodox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't see how they could displace my K340's for my music listening.

It's true, for all their virtue, they couldn't really be called an all-rounder by any stretch. Glad you're liking them, though!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Say it in German, lads, it shortens it neatly: Team Sturzhelm.

May 2, 2007 at 12:48 AM Post #42 of 293
With proper amping these QP85 sound superb with acoustic jazz. I just listened to Christof Lauer - "Bluebells" album and think that in some respects they sound better than my A900, a lot better. The soundstage and details are excellent and with my JFET/tube hybrid the tuba actually sounds very lifelike.

May 7, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #44 of 293
I'm pretty sure that the short answer there is "No."

My guess is that the backwave is cancelling out some of the bass. If you add damping, you lose some soundstage. No two ways about it.

Tried applying some eq and/or bass boost?

May 7, 2007 at 7:46 PM Post #45 of 293
I did use EQ when listening to wavs and mp3s on my PC. I was able to add a nice amount of bass and was amazed that the headphones are actually capable of reproducing that much bass, however this becomes problematic with CDs. I don’t like to use analog EQ since it’s kills the sound, unless you have something as good as Cello (lol).

Did you get your already? If you did how do you like them so far. I am hoping more breakin will help.
basshead.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back