MB Quart Phones 85
Apr 27, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #16 of 293
I'm not a huge fan of the slider being at the front, but it does its job I suppose. Also, haveing the cable exit at the rear of the left earcup is a little strange. I think I will end up recabling my pair at some point.
smily_headphones1.gif

Otherwise, I quite like the design... especially when compared to other floats.

Apr 27, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #19 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel Pusher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Following in the footsteps of a well-known K340 fiend.
very_evil_smiley.gif
Here are some additional pics of the box and of my K1K in comparison to the 85's for size reference:

How do you like the sound?

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:10 PM Post #20 of 293
LOL... was just looking at the box. 'Completely Open' is right.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 4:51 PM Post #21 of 293
Here's a little treat for you from the files of WertherDVX:

peerlesspmbseriesun6.jpg

Clockwise from top left: PMB100 orthdynamic, PMB Silvertone SL, QP85, and the elusive PMB500 electrostat. I have a PMB100 and QP85 and sold my Silvertone to Werther. I've not yet been able to find the 500, 1000, or dual-driver PMB85. Note that the headband slider is only on the QP85; the rest have different means of adjustment. Also the baffle is different on the older PMB versions, as you can see in my pics on the orthodynamic roundup thread.

Apr 27, 2007 at 6:49 PM Post #25 of 293
Which one? All of the different floats used different bias voltages, ranging from 1200-1550v. I think the Hirschmann connector replaced the DIN as the standard issue HV connector when the bias increased so we shouldn't read to much into it. I need to get a set of these!
tongue.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 7:25 PM Post #26 of 293
****, now the stax mafia is on the case. I've got no chance.
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:29 PM Post #28 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
How do you like the sound?

I honestly haven't listen to them for more than 1/2 hr thus far. I'm currently on 75+ hrs of burn-in, will have an good listen sometime this weekend though. From what I gather, the quality of sound is quite dependent upon proper fit. Unfortunately there's no manual on how they are meant and designed to be worn.

Thanks so much facelvega for the comparative pics above!

Apr 27, 2007 at 8:37 PM Post #29 of 293
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pixel Pusher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I gather, the quality of sound is quite dependent upon proper fit. Unfortunately there's no manual on how they are meant and designed to be worn.

I have this impression as well. I moved them around my head and depending on the tilt and the height of the driver the sound changes dramatically. They are also extremely sensitive to QE settings, much more than other headphones I have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back