Mayberry's Trippin Balls: Fairfax, CA cross-coastal meet.
Feb 3, 2008 at 5:59 AM Post #31 of 246
I've actually done more listening that I normally do at meets, but perhaps that's because I arrived with the early crew and got a chance to hang out all weekend.

Most impressive and pleasantly surprising was the DIY amp that Frank (don't know his username, sorry, I think he's mostly a lurker at this point) managed to put together just in time for this meet. Here are the pics of the amp again:

Quote:

Originally Posted by tyrion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MayberryOnAcid022.jpg

MayberryOnAcid025.jpg

It uses some tube types that I had never heard of before which really sort of added to the allure of its striking (and distinctively non-DIY) looks, but what really floored me about this amp was the way it made me melt into the listening chair with the K1000's. What a match made in heaven! Vicky seemed equally impressed when she had her go with this rig, hours later, as I overheard her asking Frank (as I had) what it would cost to convince him to make another one for her (which would be the 3rd one he would make, after making the 2nd one for me!).

More than anything, the sound was as analog-like as I've ever heard from a digital source, and this was especially surprising with the K1000's which do tend to have a sort of digital sound in the upper registers. Frank had some interesting explanations as to why this was the case, and it certainly was his goal in designing the amp, but I didn't understand much of the technical mumbo jumbo. What I did understand was the fact that he has achieved a rather interesting and completely relaxing yet highly involving sound, and one that translates well from the K1000 to the HP1000 to the L3000 and so on. Well done, Frank. I seriously think this amp could become a highly successful commercial product if ever you were so inclined.

The rest of the K1000 room sounded quite nice as well. I was reminded of how much I enjoy my Stax 4070 which I thought performed quite well when compared directly to the Omega II (first and second editions in brown and black, respectively) and the HE Audio 1.2, all through the Emm Labs front end and Singlepower ES-1 amp. It was a really enjoyable listening session all around featuring top gear from top to bottom. Speaking of the ES-1, it will be a really great day (whenever that day may arrive) when my ES-1 shows up on my doorstep.

Another Emm Labs stack (Al's front end) and Singlepower SDS-XLR was a big hit downstairs for a wide variety of balanced dynamic headphones, all of which were sounding as good as they ever get (K701/Moon Audio black dragon, Ultrasone Edition 9, and Headphile AKG K340). This is extremely high end gear and no matter what music you throw at it, the results are simply stunning! Speaking of the SDS-XLR it will be a really great day (whenever that day may arrive) when my SDS-XLR shows up on my doorstep. As you can see, one of the great things about my Singlepower orders is that they have given me a chance to practice my cut and paste skills. Really top notch gear when you can get your hands on it.

The other highlight was ironbutt's reel to reel system. Interesting story about his username as well. Apparently it comes from an interview he heard some time ago where Mike Judge (creator of Beavis and Butthead) was describing one of his childhood friends who believed that his posterior was immune to pain and encouraged people to kick him there. In any case, his reel to reel rig really kicked butt. I had never had the privilege of hearing such amazingly clear source material before. It's also quite cool just to watch the tape being fed as I listened. An Eddie Current Zana Duex amp provided the amplification. Sweet sounds, but not at all a cheap setup considering that finding top notch source reel to reel material is not an easy task these days. The tape I was hearing cost $200. That's right, $200 for a single performance. CDs are cheaper, last I checked. But they sure don't sound like this!

Oh, and Vicky's ATH ESW9 portable woody headphones were also quite nice. I listened to them for quite a while last night with an iPod and portable amp of one variety or another (that she handed me). They and the Cowboy Junkies helped me to ease into a mini nap. I'll probably end up with a pair one day. If for no other reason, they just look so cool and would make a great photo with my W1000 and EW9.

There was more. I heard quite a few other things as well, these were just the ones that stuck out in my mind. Boy, do I ever love those Singlepower beastly amps. Reminds me of why I ordered mine.

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:05 AM Post #32 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There was more. I heard quite a few other things as well, these were just the ones that stuck out in my mind. Boy, do I ever love those Singlepower beastly amps. Reminds me of why I ordered mine.

Great impressions all but I could not help but smile reading this line above thinking of the TV show "Home Improvement" and under my breath saying Garrr! Garr! Garr!.
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:25 AM Post #34 of 246
More images.....

mayberry01.jpg

mayberry03.jpg

mayberry04.jpg

mayberry05.jpg

mayberry06.jpg

mayberry07.jpg

mayberry08.jpg

mayberry09.jpg

mayberry10.jpg

mayberry11.jpg

mayberry12.jpg

mayberry13.jpg

mayberry14.jpg

mayberry15.jpg

mayberry16.jpg

mayberry17.jpg

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #36 of 246
Oh yeah, there are more images....

mayberry18.jpg

mayberry19.jpg

mayberry20.jpg

mayberry21.jpg

mayberry22.jpg

mayberry23.jpg

mayberry24.jpg

mayberry25.jpg

mayberry26.jpg

mayberry27.jpg

mayberry28.jpg

mayberry29.jpg

mayberry30.jpg

Feb 3, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #37 of 246
Man they keep coming.......

mayberry31.jpg

mayberry32.jpg

mayberry33.jpg

mayberry34.jpg

mayberry36.jpg

mayberry37.jpg

mayberry39.jpg

One of the greatest things I have every heard.... too bad you cannot buy it.....

mayberry40.jpg

All packed up again......

mayberry41.jpg

Ready to Go......

mayberry43.jpg

Back home again.....

mayberry44.jpg

I think that I will unpack tomorrow. I will give impressions soon.....

Great meeting everyone it was a great time.

Cheers to Voltron......

Thanks all......

Cheers,

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #38 of 246
now things are starting to get good. lots of very nice gear.

i'm definitely interested in any impressions about the EH-1.2/.3 and comparisons to the O2 and HE90, assuming the latter were present.

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:25 AM Post #39 of 246
A truly amazing meet. Of the several I've attended (including the international) this was my favorite. Good people and really extraordinary gear.

For me there were a lot of highlights (ironbut's tape rig, the various electrostats plugged into the ES-1, all sorts of high-end K1000 rigs, etc.), but the most surprising had to be FrankCooter's DIY amp. Plopping down into the comfy leather chair next to it, plugging in HP-1000s, and getting lost in the music was pure heaven!

Thanks Voltron!!

Feb 3, 2008 at 7:47 AM Post #40 of 246
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
now things are starting to get good. lots of very nice gear.

i'm definitely interested in any impressions about the EH-1.2/.3 and comparisons to the O2 and HE90, assuming the latter were present.

x2.

In one of the pictures, it looks like they're all plugged into the ES-2. Looks like a great meet with lots of great gear!!

Feb 3, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #41 of 246
Although this is officially a "mini-meet", but in reality the scale is not at all smaller than the San Jose Int'l Meet, only thing missing is the vendor tables. Other notible missing is Icarium's Qualia and Single Power system.

I am very glad to audition HE Audio's 1.2 and 1.3 electrostat phones, especially with Neil's awesome Senn HE90/60 + Esoteric + ES-2 set up. HE Audio's phones are very impressive given the price. I did pick up some HE90 hints from them. The sound stage, detail, air, bass(!), are exceptional. HE90 wins in better mid range in my opinion and a few other head-fiers that I talked to.

HE Audio version 1.2 (thanks to immtbiker):
IMG_0845.jpg

HE Audio version 1.2 and STAX SR-007 Omega MK II (thanks to agile_one) :
IMG_0846.jpg

Sennheier HE90 and HE Audio version 1.3 (thanks to Neilvg) :
IMG_0959.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back