Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (Dedicated DAC) - Review, FAQ & Info Thread
Feb 17, 2013 at 3:20 PM Post #61 of 166
I am really enjoying my Maverick Audio Tubemagic D2 DAC and thought I would take the time to post my impressions.

I elected to purchase a "open box" D2 DAC with the upgraded GE5670W tubes which was $20 off of the list price.   The unit was shipped to me from a Florida address instead of China.  And it arrived quickly and in perfect shape.

I plugged in the D2 to my 2 channel listening setup which includes: Parasound 2100 preamp, two Parasound HCA-1000A amps biamping a pair of Magnepan 1.6QR speakers.  I have a music PC which drives via USB a Firestone Bravo SPDIF reclocker which is spec'd at 50ps jitter which in turn (via a RCA to BNC cable) drives the D2's BNC input. 

I listened to the D2 and was very happy with the sound.  Clear, 3D-like, and distortion free.  I had previously been using a ebay DAC called the SMSL SD793.  I compared the tube outputs as well as the normal solid state outputs of the D2.  The difference is really very subtle.  Over time I came to realize that the tube output just sounds more pleasant and enjoyable over a long listening session.  Not really a dramatic difference in sound, but rather one of "comfort".  Hard to describe really.

I then decided to see what some simple MODS could do. 

First up, I notice that the D2 came with a really low end looking power cord.  I am not one to go for a super expensive super duper high end power cord.  However, I used my Greenlee GT-16 electrical field tester (http://www.amazon.com/Greenlee-GT-16-Adjustable-Non-Contact-Detector/dp/B001QIJOW0) and noticed that the standard D2 power cable was spitting out significant power line noise indicating very poor shielding.  I swapped out the standard power cord for a Volex 17660 ($10) power cord.  The 17660 is a very well made and more importantly well shielded power cord.  Retesting with the Greenlee GT-16 was now dead silent.

Second, I took a hard look at the BNC connector on the back of the D2.  BNC connectors come in several flavors including 50 ohm and 75 ohm.  For SPDIF you want 75 ohm to minimize "reflections" of the signal which can, if large enough, introduce sound quality robbing jitter errors.  It is important to maintain a 75 ohm connection all the way thru the signal path which includes the jacks, plugs and cable.  Now RCA jacks/plugs are not truly 75 ohm, so there is not much you can do there.  But the BNC connector is supposed to be 75 ohms.  Looking closely at 75 ohm female connectors you should see that the insulation ring around the center female pin should be smaller then what is commonly found on a 50 ohm BNC connector.  Without expensive test equipment you cannot absolutely measure for sure what type of connector you have.  Also, at the signal frequency of SPDIF (7MHz or so), the signal impact of a mismatched less then 1 inch connector should be small (but not zero).  However, the D2 BNC connector appears to be a 50 ohm connector and seemed like it would be easy and inexpensive to replace.  So I replaced it.  You can see the pictures below.  Note in the picture where I am holding the original (on left) and replacement (on right) connector you can clearly see the difference in the width of the center pin insulation material.

Original D2 50ohm? BNC (Left), Replacement 75 ohm BNC (Right)

To replace the BNC connector, simply loosen the nut on the inside of the D2 chassis holding the BNC connector inplace.  Use a wire clipper to cut the solid wire going between the BNC signal pin and the D2 main board.  Remove the old BNC connector but leave the shield/ground solder tab in place.  Solder a short copper solid core wire to your signal solder cup of a new 75 ohm BNC chassis/bulkhead connector (sourced from digikey, mouser or newark). 

I used this one from digikey:  http://www.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?WT.z_header=search_go&lang=en&keywords=A33815-ND&x=0&y=0&cur=USD 

Cut the solid core wire so that it is long enough to extend down to the D2 main board.  Melt some of the existing solder from the old connection to the new solid core wire.  See the picture below for details.

The power cord and the BNC connector swap did make a difference in the sound quality.  A sharpening of the sound.

Next up, I tried some OPAMP rolling.  Stock the D2 has the fairly good OPA2604.  Maverick Audio sells and recommends the OPA627 OPAMP as an upgrade.  Both OPAMPS are FET style OPAMPS.  Generally, if one does not know the specifics of the rest of the circuit design, it is safest to stick to the same technology (FET for FET, BIPOLAR for BIPOLAR).  I had OPA827, LME49880, and ADA4627-1 FET OPAMPS on hand to try out.  I exchanged email with the ever helpful Ryan@Maverick Audio and he told me that the D2 supplies +/- 15VDC to the OPAMP socket which is also a needed piece of information for selecting compatible OPAMPs.  The OPAMP candidates above all are ok with 15VDC. 

In general the newer higher performance OPAMPS require power supply capacitor bypassing and decoupling to operate at spec and deal with signal noise coming in from the power supply lines.  Since I was not sure what was in place in the standard D2 circuit design, I added the bypassing capacitors between pin 4 and 8 of the SOIC to DIP adapter boards I was using for the replacement OPAMPS.  Pin 4 and 8 carry the +/- 15VDC.  You can see the orange capacitors in the close up figure below.  The D2 requires 3 dual OPAMPS to operate.  All 3 must be swapped together per Ryan@Maverick Audio. 

Maverick Audio D2 Dac Cover off with OPAMP rolling candidates shown right.

Close up of Maverick Audio D2 with replacement OPAMPs on SOIC to DIP adapter sockets.  Note orange bypass ceramic capacitors.

I listened closely to the sound before and after each OPAMP rolling experiment.  I noticed a significant jump in sound quality moving from the stock OPA2604 to the first OPAMP, the OPA827 I tried.  The sound was clearer and the instruments in the music sounded like they had better separation.  The higher pitched female vocals sound much smoother especially in the "S" sounds.  However, when I swapped in the ADA4627-1 everything seemed to really come together with a very smooth yet detailed sound.  I have yet to try the LME49880, but I will at a later opportunity.  For now I am happy with my upgraded power cord, BNC connector and ADA4627-1 OPAMPS.

Mar 22, 2013 at 12:38 AM Post #66 of 166
Well, I have D2 my over a month, pair with my A1. I don't why the Maverick Audio gear is not get more attention. With the tube preamp out from D2 to A1 (especially the headphone stage). Audio heaven with the HD650's.

Mar 31, 2013 at 4:18 PM Post #67 of 166
What is the value of the bypassing capacitors (between pin 4 and 8 of the SOIC to DIP adapter boards) ? 0.01uf ?

Some online part stores have both ceramic single-layer and ceramic multi-layer capacitors, does it matter which type to use in the ADA4627-1 power supply bypass ?

I have ordered the D2 and am looking around to order the 3 ADA4627-1 from one of the online part stores. Seems to me the B grade (i.e. ADA4627-1BRZ) has a lower offset voltage than the A grade. Which grade of the ADA4627-1 did you use in your test ? Just trying to exactly replicate your upgrades to my D2 when it arrives.

Thanks.

Mar 31, 2013 at 10:29 PM Post #68 of 166
See page 15 of the Analog ADA4627 data sheet.  "Each supply should be bypassed with a 0.01μF ceramic capacitor..."

I believe that I used the following bypass cap in my setup:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/SR215C103JAR/478-5739-ND/2136299

My ADA4627-1 are the -1BRZ variety.  I did not have any of the A's on hand to try.

best of luck on your D2

Apr 4, 2013 at 7:38 AM Post #69 of 166
I've been doing a lot of reading regarding this DAC. So far, I'm intrigued. However, I have only been able to read about the Emotiva Mini X A 100 speaker amp set up. Does anyone know if the Schiit Asgaard 2 would be a good combo? Currently have the HE-400/500 and HD650's. Any information is appreciated!

Jul 2, 2013 at 4:55 AM Post #70 of 166
popcorn.gif

Aug 13, 2013 at 10:34 AM Post #71 of 166
Got my D2 initially without any upgrades. Hooked it up with a Tech VRDS-7 CD player through its coaxial input. Its tube output is sent to a two channel system made up of a Bryston pre-amp, Bryston power-amp and a pair of Paradigm Studio Monitor speaker. Out of the box, I can notice the difference the D2 has made - it sounded fuller and warmer especially in the mid range than what I was used to. As a result, music sounded less "digital" and more live like. The overall sound quality was not bad out of the box and was quite pleasant to listen to. At this point, I was very intrigued by the possibility of further upgrading my D2 by swapping the op-amps as stated by dumpingground in his initial post.

With a lot of help from dumpingground my D2 is now upgraded with the ada4627-1brz op-ams (6 of them on 3 adapters with a by-pass cap on each). Powered it back on, I can tell right away the high frequency range are much cleaner than before the upgrade while the mid range remain full and warm.

After spending more time listened to the upgraded D2 I must say it now sounds a lot cleaner in the whole spectrum than before the upgrade. The overall sound quality is very detailed with depth, together with its fullness and warmness, the reproduced musics are mesmerizing, very enjoyable to listen to.

Thanks dumpingground for posting your findings and for going through all the troubles helping me to upgrade my D2 !

Sep 27, 2013 at 11:06 PM Post #73 of 166
This was my first DAC purchase as I attempted to gain interest in higher end audio/headset equipment.  I don't really have much to compare it to.  I will say the support at Maverick audio was great.  The DAC is sleek looking and easy to use.  Had I a bit more skill with a soldering iron I'd probably make a Crack amp.  Anyways my only beef was the high shipping cost (25$), which is about 10% of the price of the unit itself.  Having multiple inputs and allowing two outputs (one tube, one SS) was very nice, as well

Sep 29, 2013 at 3:23 PM Post #74 of 166
Can the D2 play audio files above 24bit/96Khz? I thought I read somewhere that it cannot. I would be using the D2 primarily with an airport express which outputs up to 
16/44.1 optical but ​
occasionally I would connect directly to my computer via USB where I do have some files that are above 
24bit/96Khz​

Users who are viewing this thread

Back