Maverick Audio TubeMagic D2 (Dedicated DAC) - Review, FAQ & Info Thread
Sep 27, 2012 at 1:32 AM Post #46 of 166
You've been a great help Spanky.

I think im just going to buy my friends NuForce Icon HDP for $350. It's new in box. It seems to be a DAC/Amp all in one without opamps.

Also it has a 6.3 headphone pluggin in the front which makes things easier for me so i won't have to change to headphone 3.5mm adapter.

In your honest opinion, do you recommend this?

Here is the link for the product: http://www.nuforce.com/hp/products/iconhdp/index.php

I hope its at the same level as the Maverick D2 or better.

- Tim

Sep 27, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #48 of 166
Thanks!

I bought the NuForce icon HDP for $350.

Will see which one sounds better. D2 vs HDP.

Oct 17, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #49 of 166
Hello,

I'm checking back here.

Ryan was selling the Burr Brown OPA627AU's for $45 which is outrageously expensive so i was able to get three on ebay for $22.50

Pop'd them in and the sound exceeded that of the OPA2604. It was a somewhat clearer, more detailed, and less grainy than the one before. The OPA627 is much better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pieces-Dual-to-Mono-OPA627AU-OPA627-FREE-SHIPPING-/120763718688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1e141c20

the op amps were running a little warm so i put some aluminum heatsinks on  them, also added a 80mm below and above the sound card for good air flow cooling. :L3000: Datasheet says they can go up to 125C, but i did it just in case.

Now going to buy the LM4562 Op Amp which people say beats the OPA627 in term of sound quality and see if this is true when applied on the Maverick D2. I will re-listen to all three again (OPA2604,2x OPA627AU SOIC,LM4562) and let know what i think.

Thanks for the link to ebay for the OPA627AU. I just got them installed today and I am glad you took those pics as well. I didn't even have direction in which directions the OPA had to be installed.

After, seeing your pics and installed there was a dramatic difference. I have to say it opened up a lot and the music is just more clean and clarity even more. It's a 100% improvement for just less than $25. Worth every penny.

Oct 18, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #50 of 166
Quote:
Hello,

I'm checking back here.

Ryan was selling the Burr Brown OPA627AU's for $45 which is outrageously expensive so i was able to get three on ebay for $22.50

Pop'd them in and the sound exceeded that of the OPA2604. It was a somewhat clearer, more detailed, and less grainy than the one before. The OPA627 is much better.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pieces-Dual-to-Mono-OPA627AU-OPA627-FREE-SHIPPING-/120763718688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1e141c20

the op amps were running a little warm so i put some aluminum heatsinks on  them, also added a 80mm below and above the sound card for good air flow cooling.
L3000.gif
Datasheet says they can go up to 125C, but i did it just in case.

Now going to buy the LM4562 Op Amp which people say beats the OPA627 in term of sound quality and see if this is true when applied on the Maverick D2. I will re-listen to all three again (OPA2604,2x OPA627AU SOIC,LM4562) and let know what i think.

has anyone tried the LM4562?  Results compared to the OPA627.  Also, where did you buy them?  Thanks.

Nov 16, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #51 of 166
Have any of you guys compared the D2 to any of the mhdt products like the paradisea, havana, or the canary? I am really intested in a dac with a tube preamp to pair with my Glite, but there aren't that many companies making them (it seems, anyways). The D2 is obviously much cheaper than the mhdt products -> so the question is: buy a d2 now? Or save and get a mhdt later? Any able to make a comparison? Thanks!

Nov 23, 2012 at 1:02 PM Post #52 of 166
Quote:
Have any of you guys compared the D2 to any of the mhdt products like the paradisea, havana, or the canary? I am really intested in a dac with a tube preamp to pair with my Glite, but there aren't that many companies making them (it seems, anyways). The D2 is obviously much cheaper than the mhdt products -> so the question is: buy a d2 now? Or save and get a mhdt later? Any able to make a comparison? Thanks!

I'm in the same boat you are right now.  The D2 is just so much cheaper.  My question is:  Can the D2 DAC be modded at all?  Can I replace Caps?

Also, what tubes can be rolled with this?

Nov 25, 2012 at 12:21 AM Post #53 of 166
Quote:

I'm in the same boat you are right now.  The D2 is just so much cheaper.  My question is:  Can the D2 DAC be modded at all?  Can I replace Caps?

Also, what tubes can be rolled with this?

If you're proficient enough in soldering and electrical knowledge, you can replace caps on anything. I would just be very careful of the tube cap. Be sure to discharge it :)

Dec 19, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #54 of 166
Has anyone tried playing 88.2kHz music files? I note the USB receiver chip used is the Tenor 7022L and my understanding of this chip it that 88.2kHz not possible. On Mavrick Audio website, there is support for 88.2kHz only on the coax and optical inputs, but missing on the USB interface.

Steve

Dec 20, 2012 at 8:13 AM Post #55 of 166
Quote:
If i got the A1 i think it would be meaningless to run it from the D2 > A1 > Audioengine A5 right? Since two ampliers will just create more noise.
That said, it seems the A1 would only benefit me by amping my headphones a little. So it's kind of a waste of money right?

So do you recommend any Desktop Amps mainly for headphones?

I bought the A1 as an impulse, and now I'm resisting the D1 plus edition that was released.
I have 3 amps, 3 pairs of speakers, but only 1 pair is set up to be used... so I never get around to using the A1.
I tried the A1, it sounds very good, however my ears is the bottleneck. The A1, Topping TP21, and AudioEngine N22 all sound the same to me more or less.

I had the A5's connected to the A1, and the tones and everything was all muddled from the tube pre-out. So it's going to be only used as a speaker/headphone amp.

I read that you already bought a headphone amp, but instead of asking here for an amp recommendation you should have browsed the headphone amp section for other users reviews. 

Feb 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM Post #57 of 166
I am a new owner of a tubemagic d2.  I have several opamp's on hand to try out both FET and Bipolar technologies.  What is the voltage supplied on the pin 4 and 8 of the D2 opamp sockets?  Several of my opamps with lower voltage specs run +/- 15 (AD4627-1) and some are +/-13VDC (AD8620).

Feb 8, 2013 at 11:17 AM Post #59 of 166
Hi guys,

I just bought a D2 for a few days.  My D2 is running with Magnet SA-01 Integrated Amplifier and Wharfedale EVO2-8 Speakers.  The sound is good and lovely to my taste for audiophile songs that I enjoy.  I use Foobar2000 and JRiver MC18 as a transport via WASAPI (PUSH) driver.  However, I would like to try ASIO which is aclaimed to have a superior sound over WASAPI.

I am not successfully set up the ASIO for my D2.  So, I am wondering whether this cute DAC supports ASIO?  If so, your suggestion to setup the ASIO is very welcome.

Thank you.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:35 PM Post #60 of 166
Quote:
- D2's Normal Out > 2x Sunfire SDS-8 subwoofers (Stereo sub setup)

My D2 is GE 5670 tube + BB 627 OpAmp upgraded

I have the same D2 627 that I've been enjoying for a while, now.  Just to confirm, are the composite outputs from the D2 adequate for sending bass signal to suwboofers that accept composite signal?  It won't be too much because the subwoofer is being fed higher frequencies as well as lower ones?  Do dedicated subwoofer outputs from a pre-amp/receiver output all frequencies as well, or only low frequency.  Thanks, guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back