Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 (Hybrid Amp) - Discussion and Review Thread
Jan 21, 2011 at 9:30 AM Post #151 of 232

Quote:
I remember reading something on the D1 about it being developed with a HD600 or HD650, but I can't find it anymore.
Was this also the case for the A1? I listened to a friends HD600 yesterday on the A1 and we all were very impressed!

Haha I remember seeing Ryan's inventory when he posted in Head-fi and there was HD650. The HD600 I used to own doesn't seem to mate too well with the A1 while I was running on the Tung-Sol tubes - the overall feel of the music is awesome but I can't seem to hear what the guy's singing.. too laid back. Then again, the volume pot is either too soft or too loud, can't get the volume I want.

Not sure if that is the characteristic of HD600/The Tube/The Amp/The Pairing but that was the first time and the last time I have heard HD600. Hahah.

The gain seems to be lowered though when running on lower impedance headphone which is something that eludes me.

Maybe HD600 loves your mullard better. =)

Jan 21, 2011 at 9:39 AM Post #152 of 232
I guess so, cause it sounded really really good on the Mullards. But I do like really warm sound.
And I control the soundvolume on my laptop. I wouldn't call the HD600 @300ohm low impendance :wink:

Feb 23, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #154 of 232
Can anyone confirm the size of the speaker posts at the back of the A1?

Want to make sure the spades im about to purchase will fit (although I think they are all pretty standard).

Spades suit 5.5mm to 8mm diameter posts.

Cheers
Pauk

Feb 23, 2011 at 8:08 PM Post #155 of 232
Quote:
Can anyone confirm the size of the speaker posts at the back of the A1?

Want to make sure the spades im about to purchase will fit (although I think they are all pretty standard).

Spades suit 5.5mm to 8mm diameter posts.

Cheers
Pauk

I'm not at home right now to measure, but they are the same size industry-standard binding posts I have been dealing with for over 35 years with audio gear.  The nice thing is that they are properly spaced (unlike my Insigina bookshelf loudspeakers) from each other so you can use a molded dual "banana plug" to push INTO the jacks rather than mess with spade lugs.

More positive contact, easier to connect and disconnect, and fewer chances of a potential short circuit (including possibly an internal short circuit inside one of your speaker enclosures) that could cause the only fuse in the Maverick A1 (the mains AC power fuse on the back panel above the power cord input) to blow. (are you reading this, Ryan?  That's my best guess in retrospect.)  Other amps sometimes have speaker fuses for each channel's output that blow individually, but they can be current limiting and theoretically impair sonic performance.

I love my Maverick A1, but honestly, a molded plastic dual banana plug:

http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/BP-2/DUAL_BANANA_PLUG/-/1.html

... is a much better way to go.

Mar 25, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #156 of 232
I just got Maverick A1 delivered and got what I ordered, with Raytheon 6AK5 tube upgraded of course.  It took around 2 days since I ordered on March 23 and got them on 25.  The package is protective enough, brought them in best possible condition.  I was very exciting and forgot to took a photo when the box wasn't opened.

I have plugged them with my Xtrememusic sound card and out to Phlips SHP8900 / Sennheiser HD598.  All I can say - it is a huge improvement for overall of my system.  I noticed a different significantly, even with only hour and a half of using them.  I am wondering how well would it be after a hundred hours burned.  It does change musics, movies and even games sound into another level.  My SHP8900 is not too bright anymore and come with a fulfill middle sound at least.  HD598 is a far more improved.

I am very impressed with Ryan product and his service. :) This is a few times of excellent experiences by ordering product oversea.  Most of the time I got defected or a worse model than I ordered, even a faked one.  I must say Ryan is an honest person and his product looks promising.  It is worth for every cents I spent. 

I should not review the sound of this amplifier now since it has not burned enough.  I may come and post again later when I think the time is right. 

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:19 PM Post #158 of 232
I have connected a new set of KRK Rockit 6 monitors to my Maverick Audio D1 DAC

They worked fine for a week but then I kept losing audio from my left RCA output.

Now both of them dont work, or they work but i get a crappy quality or very low volume.

I cant believe how terrible this device is. the RCA outputs only worked for a week.

Apr 18, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #159 of 232
I have the exact setup as you. Running my RP6s from the RCA out of my D1 and it works just fine. The jacks seem to be of good quality and are sturdy and sound great.

I realize your frustration, but are you aware that the D1 has a full year warranty? Ryan at Maverick is excellent with customer service and will be happy to help you out. Email info@mav-audio.com and he'll get back to you quickly!

Apr 19, 2011 at 6:01 AM Post #160 of 232
yeah i did E-mail him and he is working on it.
but somehow I have been turned off by the D1. i have already changed the box once because the board was faulty. But after the change, somehow I felt the audio quality wasnt as good as the old set, but I didnt complain and got on with it. and now this RCA problem

I just need a decent quality DAC to hook up to my KRKs and I think even if I get the D1 fixed, I will still look at buying the HRT audiostreamer or something.

May 5, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #161 of 232
After having bought a 339 I no longer need my A1, I still like the sound but I'm not keeping 2 amps.
I'll be putting it up for sale as soon as I have time for it. But feel free to PM mee if you're interested (EU sale)

May 9, 2011 at 5:39 AM Post #162 of 232

Quote:
After having bought a 339 I no longer need my A1, I still like the sound but I'm not keeping 2 amps.
I'll be putting it up for sale as soon as I have time for it. But feel free to PM mee if you're interested (EU sale)

As you can see my A1 is now for sale :)

Jan 5, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #165 of 232
Hy all,

Has anyone tried the A1direcly power up passive Bookself speaker? Without D1, how is it? (no one mention in in detailed review), I planed to buy this amp for Wharfedale Diamond 10.1 (my next speaker)

And it has pre-amp output, how is it? I want to connect it into my Active Speaker.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back