Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 (Hybrid Amp) - Discussion and Review Thread
Nov 18, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #136 of 232

Quote:
If it's impedance related you can always get a 10$ impedance adaptor
And do listen to the Raytheon tubes, they're great!

impedance adaptor will change the sound, but I already think maybe that's the only way. (note: no tone at my MS1, dead silent)

then guess what? my friend also want to loan me a DIY tube amp, it's made from a man who usually make amp for home audio. I guess that DIY Tube will come this weekend, can't wait to compare A1 to it (that DIY amp is a little bit cheaper than A1) :)

Nov 18, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #137 of 232

Quote:

But at the other side, I've found something that make me think to doesn't buy the A1, even with really good sound it has. The cause is I can hear "tone" when I plug in my PRM to A1, I think it's like A1 is too powerfull for PRM (40 ohm, 101db). Note : that tone even show up when I plug my PRM to A1, with vol pot at 0, and there's no DAC connected.

If the tone problem is disappear, almost 100% I'll buy this amp :)

did you mean a humming voice?

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #138 of 232

I am using ATH A1000X (42ohms) and I don't hear anything humming sound when I am not playing anything through A1. It might be the tube problem. What tube are you using?
Quote:
Ok, my loan A1 has arrived this morning, after do test with some songs, here is my short initial impression: (with standard tube)

This thing is not as tubey as what I thought before, it still offering nice clarity, though definitely I can feel the warmness come to my music. Actually my PRM is already almost free from sibilance with really forward vocal, A1 make the different for make it even smoother (dunno why but I think the extension is not special here, I've to check it later), and the vocal presentasion is a bit more laidback which is good cause sometimes I feel PRM has too forward vocal. PRM can make my ears fatiguing after long listening, and I like how A1 offering this less aggresive sound to tame the PRM.

The other things that what make me like A1 is the detail sound, it's surprising good, though I doubt it can give detail as good as Linearossa K3 (my previous amp), but still I think the detail is really good. And for the ultimate is, the staging, whoa, I really like it, it isn't really wide, but depth and height it awesome for this price, better than K3 I bet. My PRM already has wide staging, but not with depth, then A1 comes and cover the PRM's weakness, great! :)

But at the other side, I've found something that make me think to doesn't buy the A1, even with really good sound it has. The cause is I can hear "tone" when I plug in my PRM to A1, I think it's like A1 is too powerfull for PRM (40 ohm, 101db). Note : that tone even show up when I plug my PRM to A1, with vol pot at 0, and there's no DAC connected.

Nov 18, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #139 of 232

Quote:
Quote:

I think so

Quote:
I am using ATH A1000X (42ohms) and I don't hear anything humming sound when I am not playing anything through A1. It might be the tube problem. What tube are you using?
Quote:
Ok, my loan A1 has arrived this morning, after do test with some songs, here is my short initial impression: (with standard tube)

This thing is not as tubey as what I thought before, it still offering nice clarity, though definitely I can feel the warmness come to my music. Actually my PRM is already almost free from sibilance with really forward vocal, A1 make the different for make it even smoother (dunno why but I think the extension is not special here, I've to check it later), and the vocal presentasion is a bit more laidback which is good cause sometimes I feel PRM has too forward vocal. PRM can make my ears fatiguing after long listening, and I like how A1 offering this less aggresive sound to tame the PRM.

The other things that what make me like A1 is the detail sound, it's surprising good, though I doubt it can give detail as good as Linearossa K3 (my previous amp), but still I think the detail is really good. And for the ultimate is, the staging, whoa, I really like it, it isn't really wide, but depth and height it awesome for this price, better than K3 I bet. My PRM already has wide staging, but not with depth, then A1 comes and cover the PRM's weakness, great! :)

the standart tube, 6J1

Nov 19, 2010 at 8:33 PM Post #140 of 232

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I think so

Quote:
Quote:

the standart tube, 6J1

I am almost certain it is a tube issue. The standard testing procedure for us is to test the unit with a 32 Ohm sennheiser PX100 headphone, to make sure there is absolutely no background noise within the comfortable listening volume. Although we did aging the unit for 48 hours, some tube will have higher noise level after a certain time of using. By switching a pair of matched high quality 6AK5 tube, I am sure the noise will go away.

Nov 20, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #141 of 232
well, that awesome seller also promise me to give loan A1 again when the upgrade tube has come, let's see what I'll get then :)

and I think it's a bit weird, I was though that my MS1 is a sensitive headphone, but now PRM has surpassed it.

Dec 4, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #144 of 232
It's way too quiet here
biggrin.gif

Yesterday I visited Halfin (one of the worlds leading tube dealers) in Brussels (halfin.com) and I bought some Matched NOS genuine Mullard M8100/CV4010 tubes for the A1 (the real ones with the Mullard print and codes)

the codes say:

R9I4

and

R9I5

What I found out:

TTC
FYMW

Tube Type Code
Factory Year Month Week

For my tubes: "59" means it's a CV4010 and "2" means its the 2nd iteration of the CV4010
Factory = R = Mullard Mitcham (UK)
Year = 9 = 1959
Month = I = September
Week = 4 and 5

So I'm guessing My tubes were made in the Mitcham plant in the UK in september 1959

A little research helps, oh I do love tubes :D

Dec 4, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #145 of 232
wow cool!

both of my mullard tubes are

R3C3

meaning that they came from the Mitcham plant too =D

how does the Raytheon tube sound against mullard? I am still loving WE403B the most though. The Mullard tube just sound too bright with the metal can in my D1.

Dec 5, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #147 of 232

Quote:
wow cool!

R3C3

how does the Raytheon tube sound against mullard? I am still loving WE403B the most though. The Mullard tube just sound too bright with the metal can in my D1.

I'm thinking those are 1963 march week 3
I actually find them sounding pretty simular, maybe a little bit brighter and just a little less bass, but it's minimal
But the Mullards still need to burn in, luckiliy I have 2 A1s
biggrin.gif

Dec 26, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #148 of 232

Quote:
wow cool!

R3C3

How come you're selling your A1 and D1 :frowning2:

Dec 26, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #149 of 232

Quote:

Quote:
wow cool!

R3C3

How come you're selling your A1 and D1 :frowning2:

Hmm I am thinking of upgrading my entire audio line up and Maverick happens to be the bottleneck =(
It is the king of sub $500 DAC and Amp but pales in comparison to the big names of Stello/Burson Audio/PS Audio/Benchmark/Lavry.

Jan 21, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #150 of 232
I remember reading something on the D1 about it being developed with a HD600 or HD650, but I can't find it anymore.
Was this also the case for the A1? I listened to a friends HD600 yesterday on the A1 and we all were very impressed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back