Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 (Hybrid Amp) - Discussion and Review Thread
Nov 12, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #121 of 232

Quote:
If you intend to use A1 as a headphone amplifier and if you do posses bright sounding cans with high impedance, A1 is perfect for you.
If you are using low impedance headphone or if your headphone is already dark sounding, you may want to audit them on the A1 first. I have audited several audio technica cans with A1 and they don't mate well.

My A1 is now being 'left on the shelf' as I use D1 as the Dac for my speaker set up and iQube V2 as my headphone set up.

Ok, so I can get loan A1, and I guess tomorrow it will arrive, I'll let you guys know about my impression for A1 paired with my ATH :)

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:41 AM Post #122 of 232
I've been fiddling around with speakers that go well with the A1+D1 in the similar price range (i.e. good value for money).  My current setup is D1 -> A1 -> JBL E20.  The E20's cost me about $100 (GBP 89 to be exact), and the system as a whole is very good value for money.  Just for kicks, I even did a iPod nano -> A1 -> E20 to see what its like, and the A1 does try unbelievably hard to power the speakers :)

The other speakers I've been recommended to try in this price range ($100-200) are:

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2
Q-Acoustics 2020
Quad 9L2
Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

What speakers do people connect to their A1, at all?  I do mainly use the A1 for its headphone out, but I like having my E20s during the evening when I need to sleep and cant do so with headphones on :)

Nov 12, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #123 of 232

Quote:
Quote:
If you intend to use A1 as a headphone amplifier and if you do posses bright sounding cans with high impedance, A1 is perfect for you.
If you are using low impedance headphone or if your headphone is already dark sounding, you may want to audit them on the A1 first. I have audited several audio technica cans with A1 and they don't mate well.

My A1 is now being 'left on the shelf' as I use D1 as the Dac for my speaker set up and iQube V2 as my headphone set up.

Ok, so I can get loan A1, and I guess tomorrow it will arrive, I'll let you guys know about my impression for A1 paired with my ATH :)

so it is true that the A1 have a mellow/warm sounding while the D1 more toward to bright side?

Nov 13, 2010 at 2:44 AM Post #125 of 232
had just switched my D1 Dac Opamp to LME49720HA and the A1 tube back to Tung-Sol 6AK5.

Tried it with ATH A1000X. Sounded awesomely beautiful! =DDD

Finally found an audio technica can that mates well with A1!

Anyway, all the impressions on A1 and D1 are highly dependent on the opamps/tubes used.

With the correct opamp D1 will not sound bright.

However, the sonic signature of SS amp and tube amp will still be there - detailed vs tubey.

Nov 13, 2010 at 10:14 AM Post #127 of 232
what do you mean by 'standard tube'? you mean the NOS 6J1 tube?

maybe someone else could advise on this as I got the upgraded version and has no stock tube to compare with...

Nov 15, 2010 at 10:23 AM Post #129 of 232
Have just received the mullard tube. Out of the box it sounded bright, detailed, analytical on A1. Bass is certainly on the low side compared to Tung-Sol.

Will let it burn in before posting further impressions. =)

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #130 of 232
Since receiving my A1 and 2nd D1 (1st is in bedroom, and the combo is for downstairs small office), I've been using my PC as source --> foobar2000 --> via USB to D1 as a DAC only (w/ LT1364 opamp) --> A1 via RCA line out (not the tube out) --> powering NuForce S1 speakers (made for and paired originally with NuForce Icon DAC/amp/headphone amp).

So, yes, I'm using NuForce A1 speakers coupled with a line out (tube out on D1) to a NuForce subwoofer (made for use with their S1 speakers).  As near field speakers (I'm 2 1/2 to 3 feet away in listening position), the S1s and the D1/A1 combo produce terrific imaging and a decent sound stage width and depth.  I think the combo is still a little bright, so I roll off the highs with EQ in foobar.  The NuForce sub has a variable phase adjustment, so I can tailor it to reduce or eliminate the boominess in the room.  I can also adjust the volume of the sub using the D1's gain (which also affects the A1's volume, but it's easy to strike a nice balance between the S1 output and the bass from the sub by adjusting the D1's gain.

I also listen through headphones from the A1's headphone output.  It has the upgraded Raytheon tubes available now from Maverick Audio.  With my HD600s it's a relaxed, laid back but detailed presentation.  With my Denon D2000s it is a little clearer, but I have a little too much bass response because I haven't done the Markl mod to them.  My Grado 325is sound terrific, if a little bright.  I'm amazed at the bass the Grados will produce with the D1/A1 combo.

I'm thinking of moving the A1 to mate with my original D1 upstairs for my bedroom 2.1 setup.  Right now the D1 acts as a DAC/preamp feeding my Marantz NR1501 AVR (it's only 50 watts) powering some Polk RtiA1s and a KEF sub.  If I move the A1 up there, it will be my preamp and headphone amp.

I've got a Jolida JD 103B integrated tube amp on the way.  I'm planning on using it in my home office with the D1 and some Usher S-520s also on the way.  It should be a very nice little home office rig.

Heh.  Probably a little more than you wanted to know, but hey, you got me started and I had a tough time stopping.

Quote:
I've been fiddling around with speakers that go well with the A1+D1 in the similar price range (i.e. good value for money).  My current setup is D1 -> A1 -> JBL E20.  The E20's cost me about $100 (GBP 89 to be exact), and the system as a whole is very good value for money.  Just for kicks, I even did a iPod nano -> A1 -> E20 to see what its like, and the A1 does try unbelievably hard to power the speakers :)

The other speakers I've been recommended to try in this price range ($100-200) are:

Monitor Audio Bronze BX2
Q-Acoustics 2020
Quad 9L2
Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom
Wharfedale Diamond 10.1

What speakers do people connect to their A1, at all?  I do mainly use the A1 for its headphone out, but I like having my E20s during the evening when I need to sleep and cant do so with headphones on :)

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #131 of 232

Quote:
Have just received the mullard tube. Out of the box it sounded bright, detailed, analytical on A1. Bass is certainly on the low side compared to Tung-Sol.

Tubes, plural you mean? :)
Are they Mullard M8100? They're supposed to sound warm and bassy.... Do the Tung Sols deliver more bass? Which one tames the highs most?

thx!

Nov 15, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #132 of 232

Quote:
Since receiving my A1 and 2nd D1 (1st is in bedroom, and the combo is for downstairs small office), I've been using my PC as source --> foobar2000 --> via USB to D1 as a DAC only (w/ LT1364 opamp) --> A1 via RCA line out (not the tube out) --> powering NuForce S1 speakers (made for and paired originally with NuForce Icon DAC/amp/headphone amp).

So, yes, I'm using NuForce A1 speakers coupled with a line out (tube out on D1) to a NuForce subwoofer (made for use with their S1 speakers).  As near field speakers (I'm 2 1/2 to 3 feet away in listening position), the S1s and the D1/A1 combo produce terrific imaging and a decent sound stage width and depth.  I think the combo is still a little bright, so I roll off the highs with EQ in foobar.  The NuForce sub has a variable phase adjustment, so I can tailor it to reduce or eliminate the boominess in the room.  I can also adjust the volume of the sub using the D1's gain (which also affects the A1's volume, but it's easy to strike a nice balance between the S1 output and the bass from the sub by adjusting the D1's gain.

I also listen through headphones from the A1's headphone output.  It has the upgraded Raytheon tubes available now from Maverick Audio.  With my HD600s it's a relaxed, laid back but detailed presentation.  With my Denon D2000s it is a little clearer, but I have a little too much bass response because I haven't done the Markl mod to them.  My Grado 325is sound terrific, if a little bright.  I'm amazed at the bass the Grados will produce with the D1/A1 combo.

I'm thinking of moving the A1 to mate with my original D1 upstairs for my bedroom 2.1 setup.  Right now the D1 acts as a DAC/preamp feeding my Marantz NR1501 AVR (it's only 50 watts) powering some Polk RtiA1s and a KEF sub.  If I move the A1 up there, it will be my preamp and headphone amp.

I've got a Jolida JD 103B integrated tube amp on the way.  I'm planning on using it in my home office with the D1 and some Usher S-520s also on the way.  It should be a very nice little home office rig.

Heh.  Probably a little more than you wanted to know, but hey, you got me started and I had a tough time stopping.

I have been tempted to connect the 'tube pre-out' RCA port my A1 to an active (bi-wireable) subwoofer, like the Tannoy MX10.  In theory, you could do surround sound, but thats overkill :)  I think the A1+D1 combo is best suited on systems using its outputs, namely 2.0 (or 2.1 if you want to connect a subwoofer on it).  The amp still amazes me in how much power it can churn out ... almost to the point where I'm tempted to play 'how powerful can it get' on it.  Heck, the At might even be able to power something like the Klipsch RB-51 II :)  That would probably look aesthetically funny (tiny amp, huuge bookshelf speakers), but it would fill just about any bedroom (on multiple floors depending on volume) :)

Nov 15, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #133 of 232
Opps sorry. Tubes i mean. Haha.
Yup I have gotten the M8100.

Are you sure that they are supposed to sound warm and bassy?? =P

Quote:
Quote:

Tubes, plural you mean? :)
Are they Mullard M8100? They're supposed to sound warm and bassy.... Do the Tung Sols deliver more bass? Which one tames the highs most?

thx!

Nov 18, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #134 of 232
Ok, my loan A1 has arrived this morning, after do test with some songs, here is my short initial impression: (with standard tube)

This thing is not as tubey as what I thought before, it still offering nice clarity, though definitely I can feel the warmness come to my music. Actually my PRM is already almost free from sibilance with really forward vocal, A1 make the different for make it even smoother (dunno why but I think the extension is not special here, I've to check it later), and the vocal presentasion is a bit more laidback which is good cause sometimes I feel PRM has too forward vocal. PRM can make my ears fatiguing after long listening, and I like how A1 offering this less aggresive sound to tame the PRM.

The other things that what make me like A1 is the detail sound, it's surprising good, though I doubt it can give detail as good as Linearossa K3 (my previous amp), but still I think the detail is really good. And for the ultimate is, the staging, whoa, I really like it, it isn't really wide, but depth and height it awesome for this price, better than K3 I bet. My PRM already has wide staging, but not with depth, then A1 comes and cover the PRM's weakness, great! :)

But at the other side, I've found something that make me think to doesn't buy the A1, even with really good sound it has. The cause is I can hear "tone" when I plug in my PRM to A1, I think it's like A1 is too powerfull for PRM (40 ohm, 101db). Note : that tone even show up when I plug my PRM to A1, with vol pot at 0, and there's no DAC connected.

If the tone problem is disappear, almost 100% I'll buy this amp :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back