Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Mar 26, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #2,552 of 2,660
I was thinking about one of the D1+ DAC/amp units or a Aune T1 would anyone have any idea which one is better?

Mar 26, 2013 at 6:31 PM Post #2,553 of 2,660
Can't comment on which is better but I was deciding the same thing before I bought the Maverick Audio D1 Plus. Ultimately decided on the Mav Audio due to its input options as well as esthetic finish. To me, the Maverick Audio just looks more professional albeit "entry level" DAC. 

I bought it with the GE and OPA627 upgrades. Two days after receiving the unit, I decided to purchase the WE JW 2c51 396A tube and have not turned back since. It's an overall beautiful unit.

Currently setup:

Macbook Air + 27" Thunderbolt Display --> Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1+ --> KRK Rokit RP5G2.

Prior to using this setup, I've tried numerous combos of DACs including EMU 0204, Schiit Audio M&M Stack, Nuforce UDac2 plus numerous Studio Monitors such as the Mackie MR5MKII, Audioengine A5+. 

So far, this is the best setup I've liked thus far. Finally starting to enjoy my music rather than always looking to move up in the price bracket to try and "upgrade."

Mar 27, 2013 at 12:08 AM Post #2,554 of 2,660
My D1 has finally just stopped putting out any sound at all. Still waiting on a response from Maverick Audio :frowning2:

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:39 PM Post #2,555 of 2,660
Neither surprises me.  I had the D1 and it was a huge disappointment with some manufacturing defects.  Rather than fixing it, Ryan offered me $40 to shut up.  Good luck.

Quote:
My D1 has finally just stopped putting out any sound at all. Still waiting on a response from Maverick Audio :frowning2:

Mar 29, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #2,556 of 2,660
Also had a similar problem where the left channel on my D1 died. Reseated the OPAMP and it was fixed, but then later the headphone out was shot (it was terrible as a standalone amp anyways). But yeah I agree that its a very shabby unit that I wouldn't recommend to others. 

Mar 30, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #2,557 of 2,660
Quote:
Neither surprises me.  I had the D1 and it was a huge disappointment with some manufacturing defects.  Rather than fixing it, Ryan offered me $40 to shut up.  Good luck.

Thats disappointing. Sadly I still haven't received any word from Maverick about it. I tried multiple channels of communication with no avail. My first email noted that I was also interested in the A1 to combo with my D1 but since the lack of response I decided to pick up a CA 640A v2 for cheap on Audiogon. There is a local repair shop here in Seattle willing to look at it so I may take it there. 
Quote:
Also had a similar problem where the left channel on my D1 died. Reseated the OPAMP and it was fixed, but then later the headphone out was shot (it was terrible as a standalone amp anyways). But yeah I agree that its a very shabby unit that I wouldn't recommend to others. 

I'll try reseating the opamp. I took it apart already to check for shoddy solder but didn't see anything. 

Apr 7, 2013 at 11:43 AM Post #2,559 of 2,660
Quote:
Zaluss, 

Any news on getting your unit repaired?

I haven't gotten a chance to bring it in. I also still haven't heard anything from Maverick Audio/Ryan so I've pretty much given up on that. Real shame considering I really liked the unit.

Apr 7, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #2,560 of 2,660
It Sucks hearing people having bad luck with their D1.:frowning2: I k kw the early production units were finicky but figured by now it'd be okay. Best of luck to those needing repairs.

Sep 3, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #2,561 of 2,660
Hi. I need advice from experience D1 users.

1) My D1 works perfectly, I just wanted to replace the LED. But my new LED keep dying! Sounds funny but I already burnt 5 LEDs. I have checked the LED terminal using mutimeter. DC setting on multimeter reads nothing but the multimeter's needle vibrate as it reads AC voltage. On AC setting, it reads 6.5VAC? 

2) Whenever I turn ON/OFF any switch in my room, the USB connection reset! There is a loud static sound come through speaker. It was very annoying while watching movies. 

Have any of you encounter these problem before?

Thanks.

Sep 29, 2013 at 5:42 AM Post #2,562 of 2,660
What do you mean by the USB connection resets? If a connected device powers off; the computer will no longer see it as a connected device.

Feb 1, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #2,564 of 2,660
Anyone interested in buying a Maverick Audio TubeMagic A1 amp, D1 or D1Plus Dac/Amp, or the D2 DAC....price considerations.

Maverick Audio has always offered upgraded OPA627 OpAmps and NOS GE 5670W tubes for their line, but they tended to be a bit expensive compared to mods you could do on your own. It looks like they've taken notice, and started offering package pricing with the mods on their products across the board. The link is

http://mav-audio.com/store/

Additionally they are offering an additional $15 off any product using the check out code "15OFF". I just picked up a D2 DAC with all upgrades and shipping for under $300, after the $15 off. A bit less than it would have been a few months ago.

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:46 PM Post #2,565 of 2,660
Are people still having problems with these?  They look like a great option on paper, checking off everything I'm looking for.  But if they're built poorly and have poor support, I'd just as soon spend an extra few bucks on something that won't break...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back