Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 23, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #2,521 of 2,660
Now that you mention it, I remember having tracking and all that on the D1, but not on the D1+. Huh. Maybe trying to save a buck and pass it on, what with the cost of shipping going out of sight lately ...

Anyway ... ordered mine Dec 20 and had it in hand on Jan 3 ... not bad at all for halfway around the world during the holiday rush.

This thing just keeps getting better and better. Still haven't swapped in the OPA627s yet either - just the GE tube ... sweet! It's probably got around 60 hours on it now as is - maybe I'll fire up a playlist and let it talk to itself overnight to speed things up. Nice thing about DACs, you don't have to have the speakers cranking during break in. The components are still cooking as long as there's output from the DAC itself.

Jan 23, 2013 at 8:20 PM Post #2,523 of 2,660
Quote:
Now that you mention it, I remember having tracking and all that on the D1, but not on the D1+. Huh. Maybe trying to save a buck and pass it on, what with the cost of shipping going out of sight lately ...

Anyway ... ordered mine Dec 20 and had it in hand on Jan 3 ... not bad at all for halfway around the world during the holiday rush.

This thing just keeps getting better and better. Still haven't swapped in the OPA627s yet either - just the GE tube ... sweet! It's probably got around 60 hours on it now as is - maybe I'll fire up a playlist and let it talk to itself overnight to speed things up. Nice thing about DACs, you don't have to have the speakers cranking during break in. The components are still cooking as long as there's output from the DAC itself.

20th to 3rd with 2 major holidays in between isn't bad at all. 

Please keep us all updated, but your updates don't make the wait any better. 
L3000.gif
 Swapping the e17 and e9 around with the D1+ is going to be a ton of fun for me.

Jan 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM Post #2,525 of 2,660
Quote:
^ The upgraded OPAMP and the tube comes separately? Or are you referring to your own personal swapping that you experimented with?

http://www.mav-audio.com/store/index.php/tube.html

Both the tube and op-amp upgrades make for significant improvements but are available separately. There's a lot of different op-amp upgrades you can make, but the OPA627s are a strong contender for top honors without having to do any major mods to the box as with the HDAMs.

Not saying there's anything "wrong" with the basic box - just that there's a lot more "right" with it with the upgrades.

If I had to chose between either the tube or op-amps ... I'd get both. <G>

If I really really really had to chose, I suppose I'd go with the op amps first. Maverick does the install and burns 'n tests them prior to shipping, so no worries, eh. Swapping tubes is pretty basic. Hard part is getting the dang cover off.

Also, that's a very reasonable price on a quality tube. You can certainly get better (see the posted list) but it'll set you back a bunch more. Certainly safer buying from Maverick than off the fleabay. There, ya takes yer chances.

Jan 24, 2013 at 3:15 AM Post #2,526 of 2,660
^ That is what I did. I love technology but not enough to want to dig into the box. Did that enough as a teenager. Destroyed many a tape deck doing that.
My HE400 has just shipped the race is on now!
beyersmile.png

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:36 PM Post #2,527 of 2,660
So my HE400 arrived from Hong Kong yesterday. My maverick just shipped now. They must have need some extra time with the upgrades and burn in testing to complete the order. Very lucky I was just about to order the Compass 2 from Audio GD. It does have a tracking number you just have to log into your Maverick account and it will be there if they have shipped it. :)

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:37 PM Post #2,528 of 2,660
Ooh! I wonder ho the HE400's will run on the D1(or D1+?). can't wait to read.

Jan 30, 2013 at 6:45 PM Post #2,529 of 2,660
Quote:
Ooh! I wonder ho the HE400's will run on the D1(or D1+?). can't wait to read.

I will let you know. I unfortunately won't have the K702 65th Anniversary around to compare with it though as I got my RMA info finally. Wanted to sell it in Canada but I just didn't have the patience to keep the auction up. I really don't like the AKG house sound vs my HE400s.

Edit:
My amp was suppose to come today but DHL really screwed the pooch with me. After 4 phone calls and local dispatches getting the reprimand of their lives I still don't have it in my possession. So they are switching the address to my office and delivering it Monday. The trace officer told me heads would roll if I don't have it by Monday. Wait a pain. 

Feb 4, 2013 at 5:27 PM Post #2,530 of 2,660

Look what arrived. Only had a few minutes to test it out. Does it ever have some crazy gain on it. I had it on 2 with my ksc75 and it was plenty loud and clear. Can't wait to get some better headphones on it. :)

Edit: I have been listening to this all night. I have been switching back and forth between optical and usb frequently. I can't for the life of me figure out what it is but optical sounds more natural to me. I am sure this is my brain playing tricks on me. But I just can't figure it out. 
The maverick sounds quite different then my E09K/E17 setup I didn't think it was going to but it does. The E9 setup is darker closer. Everything on the Mav sounds more distant. Not in  a bad way because it is across the whole spectrum. Drums for some reason sound so sweet with this setup. The beginning of Fiona Apples Left Alone is amazing. So stellar. But again further away compared to the E09K. 

It is just something I need to get used to. Makes me wish I had kept the HD598. 

I did have some hum when I used my mixamp with the rca input. I just unplugged everything and plugged it all in again and the hum disappeared so I must have bumped something originally. 

Any ways back to testing.

I was wonder though has anyone paired this with a headphone amp like the O2? I would like to get down to 1ohm on the output for my cal and KSC75 and lower ohm headphones like that.

Feb 5, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #2,531 of 2,660
I have received mine also with similar results.

How I would describe USB vs Optical is that USB seems to sound a lot more aggressive in attacks. As in hits sound more hard to the point where its almost displeasing on some headphones. Optical seems to be a little bit more smoother but overall the D1 (plus with upgrades) seems to be overall a very forward sounding DAC/Amp.

Tube Pre-out vs Normal RCA out: Very subtle difference and I am not sure if I could do pass a double blind on it yet. However for now the tube pre-out seems to have a slightly rounder sound that is less aggressive. 

Comparing it to the E7 as a DAC, it is noticeably more open with a better soundstage with vocals being clearly improved.

Current setup for me right now is optical to the D1 -> tube pre-out -> Fiio E9 -> AKG K702.
The amp is soon to be replaced by a Little Dot MK II. Please ask me some questions so I can have things to test before I go crazy. 

Feb 5, 2013 at 8:15 PM Post #2,532 of 2,660
I had this awfully long winded post and I closed chrome like a dork. Long day.

I am really enjoying this setup. I think I am going to try the E9 tonight through the tube.

If I was a bass head I would love the USB dac portion. I like bass and think it should have some impact but I am not a Head so I prefer the soundstage of optical. The problem is I only have bassier phones right now. It is insane the impact is kind like a punch to the ear drums sometimes.

Just listening to Weezer and the attack and speed is great, could just be the extra current though punching through my CALs. I still find the variable gain to much with weaker headphones, I would have preferred a switch or button. I am just being nitpicky though. 

So I wouldn't run a run of the mill low ohm IEM on it you would blow your ear drums out.

Junkimchi are you going to be selling it or using it as a dac to the little dot?

Edit: Just pulled out my superlux 668B which is around 60ohms. Much better and sounds really nice. 

You are right the tube preamp is smoother. Deciding if I like it more as well. It is not as engaging. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 4:42 PM Post #2,534 of 2,660
Feb 8, 2013 at 4:45 PM Post #2,535 of 2,660
Yes that is my current setup right now the Little Dot came a few days ago. 

Everything sounds really good so far, tubes are still far from burned in though. I am currently using the NON-tube out to the Little Dot, in half fear of the sound being colored too much. I also feel that the normal out is more forward with the sound signature which suits the feed into a tube amp better than the slightly weaker signal of the tube pre-out. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back