Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 22, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #2,506 of 2,660
I just bought D1+ with the full upgrade. I am hoping to use it flat out but if I have to I will pair it with my E9 for my K702 Anniversary and my soon to order HE400. Not sure if I need the E9 at all with both headphones but the added warmth of the tube upgrade, does it color the sound? Will hopefully be a nice pairing for both headphones.

I can report back the difference of the E09K/E17 and D1+ if anyone cares. My source will be a realtek onboard so your opinions may vary from mine.

Really hope the shipping is as fast as you all say I would love to have it by the weekend if I don't no biggie.
L3000.gif
I am sure Canada Customs will hold it they love to do that with certain items.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:24 PM Post #2,508 of 2,660
This just in for all you folk with the volume control questions.

The volume control is disabled for the analog out from the factory, BUT ... it can be enabled by switching a couple jumpers on the main board.

Those jumpers basically replace the bypass switch that was on the D1. They still recommend you leave things as is unless it's a real problem. It's all about keeping the signal path as short and clean as possible.

Jan 22, 2013 at 3:46 PM Post #2,509 of 2,660
Quote:
I just bought D1+ with the full upgrade. I am hoping to use it flat out but if I have to I will pair it with my E9 for my K702 Anniversary and my soon to order HE400. Not sure if I need the E9 at all with both headphones but the added warmth of the tube upgrade, does it color the sound? Will hopefully be a nice pairing for both headphones.

The tube output makes a major difference in the sound, and each tube will "color" that sound and add a unique flavor. Same with op-amps.

Just don't become a tube whore like me ... <G>

I switch to the standard analog out every now and then just to see what I'm not missing. I seldom use headphones, so can't be much help there. One of the major benefits of the D1 series for me is the analog out so I can get that tooby goodness from my turntable via an external phono stage also. Wouldn't need that for a cassette, R2R, or other analog unit that has adequate output. As always, experiment.

My progress report ... been putting some miles on the D1+ and it's breaking in nicely. I got it with the basic tube and op-amps and plan to switch to the upgraded components that came with the D1. Got to hear the Chinese 6N3 for the first time. It came in 4-5db lower than the tubes I've been using out of the box, but caught up at around 20 hours. Good overall performance, but a bit cramped compared to what I've been listening to, even with the improved USB output from the Tenor stage. Also had some ringing.

Switched to the GE 5Star and that woke it right up. Wider stage, improved dynamics across the band and the mids and vocals gained a whole bunch of zing. Listened to Borodin's 2nd last night, and it's never sounded better. Next part of the plan - switch to the OPA627 op amps and see what happens there.

NOTE >> I mostly use the D1+ USB stage fed by my shiny new HTPC. jRiver Media Center allows me to adjust the resolution on the fly - right now I've got everything set to output at 88/24 to the Maverick. I don't use S/PDIF (coaxial/optical) as the RealTek chipset on the motherboard has "issues". Even the D1's lower resolution USB stage ran rings around that for overall sound quality. Something for yall to keep in mind out there - it's a system, and everything has to play nice together. I suppose somewhere along the way I could start playing with add-on cards to change the S/PDIF chipset, but as well as the USB is doing, there's not much incentive. It sounds very very choice as is. And yes, the Tenor stage is a major improvement, in resolution and dynamics, and overall satisfaction. Even using the basic tube and op-amps, it keeps right up with the D1 with all the upgrades. As mentioned, it's already pretty outstanding with the GE 5Star tube, and I haven't even swapped to the better op-amps and "premium classic" tubes yet. I expect major improvements with those.

Short version ... I LIKE IT I LIKE IT!

Jan 22, 2013 at 4:56 PM Post #2,510 of 2,660
I wonder if the D1+ would be able to take the audio-gd SUN HDAM's. I am quite curious on how that will play out. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #2,511 of 2,660
Can't imagine why not - they both use the same op-amps and look to have adequate spacing available to cram them in.

I'm waiting for the mad scientists to come up with substitutes for the OPA 2604 that was added to the mix... way I hear it, that's strictly to offload IV conversion from the primary op-amps, so not sure if it'd make any difference sonically.

OPA 134 / OPA 2134? Sucks a lot of power, so maybe the board can't handle it ...

LM 6172? Similar characteristics to the OPA 134, but less demanding.

Jan 22, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #2,512 of 2,660
I think to rephrase what I mean't is how many are needed. 

Jan 22, 2013 at 9:16 PM Post #2,513 of 2,660
Quote:
The tube output makes a major difference in the sound, and each tube will "color" that sound and add a unique flavor. Same with op-amps.

Just don't become a tube whore like me ... <G>

Good news thanks for letting me know. I will be interested to see if the D1+ itself can push the K702 Annie. 

I really hope I don't as my wallet couldn't take it. After this purchase it is catch up time. 
triportsad.gif

Two more quick questions, 

Does anyone know the headphone output impedance? It is not listed on the website. I know my E9 is 10ohm.

Does it have a selectable gain? I noticed there is nothing on the front or back is there a jumper inside to switch it around. 

Thanks

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:00 PM Post #2,514 of 2,660
Way I understand it, the unit is infinitely variable and able to drive up to around 600ohm based on the position of the volume (gain) control. I do know that Maverick has modded the design several times over the course of production to address hum issues with extremely low impedance cans. They had the circuit dialed in on the later model D1, so I wouldn't expect it to be a concern any longer. Main thing is to start out with the volume ALL THE WAY DOWN, as the Mavs have an extremely wide range and can drive 600+ ohm cans nicely. Stands to reason, with your load, you'll just barely be cracking the volume (gain) control. Needless to say, you could cause serious damage with a slip of the wrist.

There are no internal adjustments that wouldn't involve swapping resistors.

Jan 23, 2013 at 1:23 PM Post #2,517 of 2,660
Quote:
They will fit in with extension cords judging by the pictures.

That is what I am thinking. I wonder if I'd need two or one. My friend has a D2 which has a similar setup to the D1+.

Jan 23, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #2,520 of 2,660
Quote:
How long did it take for you guys get get the product? I'm in the US.

Also I didn't get any sort of confirmation other than the paypal? Is that normal?

That is the same thing I got as well. No clue about tracking or any of that stuff. I am waiting as well but I did just order Morning/Tuesday morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back