Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 10, 2013 at 6:50 PM Post #2,491 of 2,660
Very interesting! I am curious how this would sound with the SUN HDAM and the WE 396A tube. I like the bigger caps. Yummy.

I really enjoyed my 396A tube with the SUN HDAM. Outputted to my modded X-Can V2 for Headphone and AVR for speakers.
How do you find yor upgraded D1 compared to the stock D1+.

Very curious on how this compares to the D2. I'd imagine the D2 would be similar minus the headphone output.
The D2 also had 3 OPAMP chips.

It would feel like the D1+ is basically the D2 with a built in Headphone stage.

Jan 10, 2013 at 7:17 PM Post #2,492 of 2,660
Lest we forget the analog in ... that's why I went with the D1 in the first place, and why my upgrade path was to the D1+ instead of the D2 ... I really like being able to drive my turntable thru an external phono stage and then the tube out. Adds a real mellow vibe to it. If I had a complaint, it's that I can't use it to rip vinyl - still using a Behringer UCA202 for that. And really - I could care less about the headphone stage ... it's more fun cranking the big boxes at 200+ watts in the early AM. <G>

Currently, comparing the two, the D1 still comes out well on top of the D1+. Brand new tube and basic op amps compared to the upgraded OPA627s and premium tube, that's to be expected at this point. That said, using the USB input, the soundstage is easily on a par with that of the D1 and the output is technically cleaner even without the upgrades - it just currently lacks the PUNCH and flavor of the D1 w/upgrades. I'd switch the tube and op amps now, but I want to stick with my plan as described in the previous post and see just how good the basic D1+ is. Hard part right now is NOT fiddling with the system controls, as I want an apples - apples test. Also, in a perfect world, I'd have another set of each flavor tube and op amp combinations for quick A/B switching, but ... all my money's in tubes.
tongue.gif

And ya ... I imagine there's a lot of similarities in the D1+ and D2. Can't say for certain, but I expect it's analog in diehards like me that may have pushed for the D1+ hybrid and they brought that out just to stop our whining. Then again, it could have been an intermediate design that was already in the books before they decided to trash the headphone stage and analog in, and somebody figured, why waste the effort ... put it out there, and see what happens. I ain't complainin' ...

Jan 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM Post #2,493 of 2,660
Quote:
but I'm told there is a way to add the volume control back for the DAC with a couple wire swaps if necessary. 

I am a newbie here, I got the D1+ with upgraded opamp and tube for about a week now. And its my very first dac. I use it for my desktop active speakers. 
It would be nice if there is a way to use the volume control for both rca and headphone output.

Jan 21, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #2,494 of 2,660
Quote:

I am a newbie here, I got the D1+ with upgraded opamp and tube for about a week now. And its my very first dac. I use it for my desktop active speakers. 
It would be nice if there is a way to use the volume control for both rca and headphone output.

I believe the volume control bypass button switches whether or not the the RCA outputs are controlled by the volume control knob

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #2,495 of 2,660
Can any of you guys take a picture of the PCB in the D1+? Still good to know that people are adapting my initial HDAM mod. I gotta say that my finger's been itching to get a D1+ for my desktop rig and mod it.

Jan 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM Post #2,496 of 2,660

Quote:
Can any of you guys take a picture of the PCB in the D1+? Still good to know that people are adapting my initial HDAM mod. I gotta say that my finger's been itching to get a D1+ for my desktop rig and mod it.

The HDAM has been purely enjoyable. Matched with the WE 396A it is very good sounding. I've been wondering how to adapt the similar to the D2 and D1+.

Jan 21, 2013 at 9:43 PM Post #2,497 of 2,660
Quote:
I believe the volume control bypass button switches whether or not the the RCA outputs are controlled by the volume control knob

The D1 plus (newer version) doesnt come with a bypass button switch. What i do now is i set my pc volume at 100%, set my active speakes volume at 9 o'clock position, then adjsut the voulme on the media player ( foobar / youtube etc... )

Quote:

On post #2490 sKiZo poseted some high res photos, inside shot of D1 and D1+, not sure if thats what u are looking for. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:01 PM Post #2,498 of 2,660
The D1 plus (newer version) doesnt come with a bypass button switch. What i do now is i set my pc volume at 100%, set my active speakes volume at 9 o'clock position, then adjsut the voulme on the media player ( foobar / youtube etc... )

Dang that was a feature I wanted to have a fixed line out to feed my 2.1 system

On post #2490 sKiZo poseted some high res photos, inside shot of D1 and D1+, not sure if thats what u are looking for. 

Jan 21, 2013 at 10:49 PM Post #2,499 of 2,660

So the volume control on the front does not adjust the RCA outs?

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:37 AM Post #2,503 of 2,660
Can anyone throw out some observations on how the headphone amp sounds with any IEMs?

Jan 22, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #2,504 of 2,660
I just took a look at the internals of the D1+, judging by the pictures, moding them with a HDAM should be very possible without cutting a hole. The reduced length of the volume control and input pcb allows for a HDAM to be placed right there with extension cords.

Jan 22, 2013 at 12:08 PM Post #2,505 of 2,660
About to pull the trigger on the D1+ with full OPA627 and tube upgrades on my limited budget. Have been looking at the original D1 for over a year now and I think its about time.

So just to be clear the RCA outs on the back (both tube and non tube outs) are NOT controllable with the volume pot correct? This is going to be replacing my Fiio e7/e9 combo in hopes that the Tube out will warm up the sound a bit. If I sound delusional please slap me right now. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back