Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Dec 16, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #2,026 of 2,660
hahah nice photo! you can draw them out next time! =)

i am thinking of getting a sun hdam without modding my case. will having an extension cable help? or is there anything to bypass the modding part and still get to use that in D1?

i have no single tool/knowledge to mod the case.

was thinking of changing the capacitors too but i have got no idea where to get them! sigh!

Dec 17, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #2,027 of 2,660
Ok I went ahead and took the plunge, I wanted something inexpensive and fun that allowed me to use the 5670/2c51 tubes I already had.  So I figured why not try the Maverick.  Just got it about 5 min ago, listened to the stock GE tube, nice, on the mellow side a bit tubey which is what I was looking for....swapped it for a TungSol a little to much edge for me and not as tubey.  Went for the Raytheon, very very nice, full bottom end, detailed slightly forward midrange nice and clear but with a touch of tube flavor.  Order a bunch of opamps..... Nice.  This is going to be a fun Dac that will offer me some variety.

Dec 18, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #2,028 of 2,660

Quote:
Ok I went ahead and took the plunge, I wanted something inexpensive and fun that allowed me to use the 5670/2c51 tubes I already had.  So I figured why not try the Maverick.  Just got it about 5 min ago, listened to the stock GE tube, nice, on the mellow side a bit tubey which is what I was looking for....swapped it for a TungSol a little to much edge for me and not as tubey.  Went for the Raytheon, very very nice, full bottom end, detailed slightly forward midrange nice and clear but with a touch of tube flavor.  Order a bunch of opamps..... Nice.  This is going to be a fun Dac that will offer me some variety.

Looking forward to hearing your findings.

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:11 PM Post #2,029 of 2,660
Day 2

Bypassed the fuse.  I figured there must be something giving me this persistent glare no matter what tube I tried.  My first instinct was to look for something in the A/C so I tried different outlets on my AGD power filter.  Nope glare still there.  Ahhhh, the fuse, that single strand of 28ga wire interrupting my power source.  Stripped down a piece of 12 ga about the same length of the fuse and shoved it between the top rigs of the fuse holder and the plastic housing.  Instantly all glare gone.  Now I can actually hear the tube and the gear.  This evening I will swap out the stock IEC for a Furutech I have.  So far so good, I went for another round of tube swapping to listen for changes again under better conditions.  Right now a Tung-Sol is singing....nice deep rounded base, kind of rolled off on the top though, not too much air....over all tubey sound.  Oddly enough toslink sounds better than USB.

Dec 18, 2010 at 4:56 PM Post #2,030 of 2,660

Quote:
Day 2

Bypassed the fuse.  I figured there must be something giving me this persistent glare no matter what tube I tried.  My first instinct was to look for something in the A/C so I tried different outlets on my AGD power filter.  Nope glare still there.  Ahhhh, the fuse, that single strand of 28ga wire interrupting my power source.  Stripped down a piece of 12 ga about the same length of the fuse and shoved it between the top rigs of the fuse holder and the plastic housing.  Instantly all glare gone.  Now I can actually hear the tube and the gear.  This evening I will swap out the stock IEC for a Furutech I have.  So far so good, I went for another round of tube swapping to listen for changes again under better conditions.  Right now a Tung-Sol is singing....nice deep rounded base, kind of rolled off on the top though, not too much air....over all tubey sound.  Oddly enough toslink sounds better than USB.

Toslink on this unit IS better than USB.  It seems to be using a cheap USB interface.

Though I don't detect any real noticeable difference between Toslink and RCA Coax.

Taking about the fuses in your house?

Dec 18, 2010 at 5:41 PM Post #2,034 of 2,660

I thought the SQ impact you felt was on the tube output only.  Because I have had no lucks with tubes doing anything good for me on this unit. I have the GE Stock(the more expensive version,
Quote:
Well, its the power inlet for the entire unit....so it stands to reason it will.

Quote:
Never noticed that there haha, your telling me it effects the tube output?

Dec 18, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #2,035 of 2,660
Yes I have only listened to the tube portion of the Dac, but any change in the direct power going into the Dac will affect the whole Dac not just one portion of it.

Quote:
I thought the SQ impact you felt was on the tube output only.  Because I have had no lucks with tubes doing anything good for me on this unit. I have the GE Stock(the more expensive version,
Quote:
Well, its the power inlet for the entire unit....so it stands to reason it will.

Quote:
Never noticed that there haha, your telling me it effects the tube output?

Dec 19, 2010 at 8:31 PM Post #2,037 of 2,660
Yes it is awesome, at least for me how much of a difference it made.  I know people will naturally meet tweaks like this with skepticism but if you look at the fuse the filament is almost invisible its so thin, and all your AC power needs to go through that before it can power the Dac.  Imagine a power cord that narrows down one of the leads from 12ga to about 38ga.

Also the D1 likes heavier ga power cords.  Use a nice 14ga or less cord for further improvements.

Dec 19, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #2,039 of 2,660

Quote:
I am also using a VH Audio Flavor 1 power cord which may add to the improvement in sound quality.  I am just a little worried about not having a fuse, but I do not even know if I should be.  It just sounds so much better.

Well actually many components don't have fuses. 

Dec 20, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #2,040 of 2,660

Quote:
Quote:
I am also using a VH Audio Flavor 1 power cord which may add to the improvement in sound quality.  I am just a little worried about not having a fuse, but I do not even know if I should be.  It just sounds so much better.

Well actually many components don't have fuses. 

As long as the power cord connector plug has a fuse there it should be fine I guess.

Noob question: How on earth did you guys bypass the fuse/fatten the fuse cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back