Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Nov 26, 2010 at 11:21 AM Post #2,011 of 2,660
It depends really. If you're not into rolling tubes and changing the sonic character of the D1, then you could save yourself 20 bucks. It's probably good to try the stock tube first, get used to it and then roll in something else if the need arises. Sometimes stock can be quite good depending on what you have running... 

Quote:
I'm pretty close to buying a D1 to satisfy my home DAC and amp needs, but I see there is the $199 model and the $219 model with a different tube pre-installed. I do not plan on doing any tube rolling myself for a while, so is the extra $20 worth it? 

So, I'm no tube expert but I know people who have been tube aficionados all their lives and having a fan blowing at the tubes to try and keep them cool is NOT a good idea. Apparently this kills them faster. It's better to just let them be. As many people have put it, tubes are meant to run hot and they won't overheat and self destruct on their own.

Quote:
etteoh & ninjikiran thanks :)

i use this for protect my DAC from hot

i put in upper DAC

is a notebook cooler

Nov 27, 2010 at 7:12 PM Post #2,015 of 2,660
@etteoh , thanks for your information about the tube  
normal_smile%20.gif

after use op-amp LME49720HA in DAC   & Headphone section ,

at this time is best op-amp for me ( my opinion / filling )

i agree about this opinion of this op-amp like etteoh said  before 
happy_face1.gif

i am newbie in audio ,  just share user , can't  review

thanks @ALL 
beerchug.gif

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #2,016 of 2,660
Very nice lepel and it's great to know you are enjoying the metal can. I don't believe they require much run-in (if any is required at all). I remembered they sounded great when they were new and their characteristics / sound didn't really change over time. Definitely keepers in my books. Happy listening!

Quote:
@etteoh , thanks for your information about the tube  
normal_smile%20.gif

after use op-amp LME49720HA in DAC   & Headphone section ,

at this time is best op-amp for me ( my opinion / filling )

i agree about this opinion of this op-amp like etteoh said  before 
happy_face1.gif

i am newbie in audio ,  just share user , can't  review

thanks @ALL 
beerchug.gif

Dec 5, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #2,018 of 2,660

Quote:
Did you buy them pre-installed like that Lepel?  If I got those tin cans I wouldn't mind paying a bit of a premium to be a lazy bum.

yes Ninjikiran 
smile.gif

i have use op-amp LME49720HA about 1 week

i try review song of Susan Wong

Killing Me Softly

source :

PC - Mav DAC - Sennheizer HD555

volume at 10.00 clock

vokal is clear

at beginning i can hear Susan Wong breath

guitar pick soft & clear

saxsophone sound tunefully

kettledrum sound the nicest one & clear ( this is i most liked )

drum sound fit

thanks
beerchug.gif

Quote:
NB : i use online translate , for some words , i hope not wrong translate
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2010 at 6:32 AM Post #2,019 of 2,660
has someone in here compare with Cambridge DAC ? 

i read in here Mav in Win
smile.gif

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net.au/index.php/audio-reviews/digital-source-reviews/item/80-maverick-tubemagic-d1

Dec 12, 2010 at 9:44 AM Post #2,020 of 2,660
i think few would have compared this with cambridge audio dac.

From what I read, even though cambridge dac is running on wolfson dac chip, many people are not that satisfied with their purchase (as compared to maverick d1).

I have been running both the LME49720HA as well as the Bendix tube on my D1 for quite some time. Coupled with my VDH glass toslink cable, the sound reproduction are very accurate and real, sound stage is wide. I have never heard voice reproduction in my movie so real as with this setup.

However, my only complain is that the sound is too detailed and the attack is too fast. It exposes all the flaws on bad recordings. Can't be help though, metal can with glass cable.
On good recording nonetheless it sounded brilliant.

I switched my tube to Raytheon 5670 and immediately the details got reduced dramatically. The voice of the singers sounded a little off (the same as for other tubes) but the overall tonal balance of the music is better for bad recordings. I guess that is the kind of sacrifice I have to make.

Bendix tube sounded awesome with sweet sounding cables and opamps.
Raytheon tube sounded best with bright cables and opamps.
WE tube sounded above average for all setup (too bad i sold it to etteoh).

Now I am wondering how will the raytheon tube sound on A1. Hmmm.

Dec 12, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #2,022 of 2,660
hmm to what i know, M8100 sounds bright and has little presence on the low ends, making the music sound 'thin'

Raytheon however, has strong bass presence and is not as bright as the mullard, making it sound 'fuller'

maybe your beyer's impedence is too high XD

Dec 14, 2010 at 8:27 AM Post #2,024 of 2,660

Quote:
hmm to what i know, M8100 sounds bright and has little presence on the low ends, making the music sound 'thin'

Raytheon however, has strong bass presence and is not as bright as the mullard, making it sound 'fuller'

maybe your beyer's impedence is too high XD

M8100 are supposed to produce a fat and warm sound afaik. they're used a lot in Little Dots just for that reason

Dec 15, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #2,025 of 2,660
I have owned the A1/D1 for a couple months now (was following this thread behind the scenes). And I must say, I love this setup. I know everyone has praised Ryan from here to heaven...but he really does deserve kudos. I will look to him 1st if he starts making higher level gear no doubt. Amazing how a little customer service goes a long way.

I am horrid at taking pictures. (no money left for decent cam)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back