Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jul 31, 2010 at 8:50 PM Post #1,741 of 2,660
Would high gain be a problem with SR80i? I do not think that they would require moving to volume knob further than 9 or 10 o'clock, Also the guy, who sells it says that he only experienced problems with pre-amp, which I am not going to use. I think I will go for this one anyway as it is quite cheap.:wink:

Jul 31, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #1,742 of 2,660
or vice versa on the newer units you should be able to perform the same tweak in reverse, though probably the best solution for the next dac from Maverick Audio would be adjustable gain.  On top of that a version with no tube pre-out.  A slightly higher case for HDAM's would rock as well, since nothing beats the standard metal casing in functionality(keep the bad stuff out similar to a computer case like RFI/EMI) while remaining sleek.

Quote:
Before you buy it, ask for the serial number and e-mail it to Ryan to see if it is a model with lowered gain or not. Basically what it does is, it limits the amount you can move the volume knob (not physically) before your headphones get too loud. A lot of people with the high gain unit don't get past 10 oclock on the knob. It can add hiss but as far as I know, it doesn't reduce quality. By soldering 2 resistors into the PCB you can fix the gain to a more acceptable level.

Aug 1, 2010 at 11:43 PM Post #1,744 of 2,660

On the Maverick D1, the Tube pre out, is basically like a tube-stage preamp, and the normal out is solid state preamp out. Some people prefer the tube sound, thus the D1 gives us both options. Hope that helps. :) sp70.
Quote:
Hi all,

This is a dumb question but what is the difference between the pre tube out and the normal out?

Cheers
Paul

Aug 2, 2010 at 3:16 PM Post #1,746 of 2,660
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor00179 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I would like to know whether it is possible to use Grados and other (in future HD650)higher impedence cans with the solid-state oone.

I've got one of the newer ones with the lowered gain and it works great with everything from SE530s to DT990/600s.  You don't get a whole lot of room on the volume dial to play with if you're using IEMs, but the background is very quiet and the channels are perfectly balanced.  You'll have plenty of room to play with if you're using grados (I have a pair of SR80s) and it also drives my HD650s quite well.  It drives HD800s quite well, for that matter.  It will also get plenty of bass out of K701s as well.  It's powered everything I've had a chance to plug into it.  It'd probably do well with any dynamic short of a K1000, and I've never got to try an ortho on it, but from the specs, I'd imagine it should just fine.

Aug 4, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #1,750 of 2,660
Hello all, just wanted to say that I got a secondhand D1 yesterday and am already loving it. Briefly tried it with my DT880 (250Ω) and Macbook via optical out, and there seems to be no obvious colouration of music, good soundstage, and a great deal of clarity even at 8-9 o'clock on the volume pot. 
Have also tried it with my 360 (using analog in) and Red Dead Redemption was none the worse for it. Played 1 or 2 hours without suffering audio fatigue...can't say the same for my eyes though, haha.

Aug 5, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #1,751 of 2,660
Hmm the ribbon cables(the ones tied together with the blue and white ribbon cable).  I think it might be that specific cable.  Anyway there seems to be problems with it as of late... its making my sound cut off on one ear.  I thought it was the opamp at first but then I accidentally poked it(and it fixed itself) as I remembered noticing this earlier.

Seems to be awkward, doesn't look damaged.  None of those wires look damaged but it definitely has to do with this area of the mav. 

edit:
I removed all ties on the blue/white ribbon and poked on the wire a bit and nothing happened.  I guess they were pinching it a little harder when they were previously disturbed.  Regardless left and right channels sound perfectly fine now(it was always the left channel that bugged out)

Aug 7, 2010 at 5:07 AM Post #1,752 of 2,660

I just won an ebay auction for a 396A WE for 15.51$. Happy
biggrin.gif

@Ninji: Have you contacted Ryan about it?
@ReiserFS: Sad to see you're selling your modded D1 on the FS forum.

Aug 7, 2010 at 11:51 AM Post #1,754 of 2,660
I am not upgrading for a long while more than likely.  Unless I have to~

My next upgrade(and probably last DAC upgrade since it doesn't get any better) is going to be a Benchmark DAC.

I am going to replace my soundcard as transport pretty soon though, just so I can delegate it to its gaming potential, replacing my astro mixamp with a JVC DH-1 for DTS decoding.  That setup is going to be replaced with the beyerdynamic headzone one day though :wink:

Quote:
     Quote:
I'm really sad as well to let go of my precious baby, but the time has come to upgrade my DAC. Probably keeping it if it doesn't sell within two weeks though.

Aug 9, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #1,755 of 2,660
I am having problem with the tube out of my Maverick D1. I can still here the sound, but it is on very low volume level and it sounds very badly distorted. Solid stade out and headphone out works perfectly ok. I have tried to swap the tube to another one, but the problem persists. I have also tried to check the internal wiring and change the yellow wire that should transport the signal to the tube, but this did not help. I can do some voltage measurments, if needed. I hope somebody could give me hint how to fix this very annoying problem!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back