Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Mar 31, 2010 at 9:26 PM Post #1,381 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjikiran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can't tell you about the SQ as I have never heard the e-mu 0404 USB(or PCI). But from a technology standpoint based on what I see online

E-MU 404
-Better driver support(possible native ASIO which imo if you use vista is moot since WASAPI is better for music, but for instruments and audio creation that is a different story).
-Audio creation and recording features.
-Purely a pre-amp/DAC far as I can see

Mav
-Swappable Opamps/Tube
-Headphone amp built in(though you can always output to a stand alone amp)
-Tube output for colored experience

Still couldn't tell you about the more subject SQ comparison which is more important but that SQ would also be dependent on the amp matched with the E-MU404.

Still I enjoy my Mav and I don't think you would regret purchasing it. My typing is a little floaty atm, low blood sugar and hunger levels are up.

Hmmm, from what I've heard the e-mu is a bitch to get drivers working. I think I am gonna go with the maverick. I'm super cheap and some how get into all the expensive hobbies and the maverick seems like the best bang for your buck so it looks like my machine xD

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:47 AM Post #1,383 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by numbskull /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone here with AKG 70X using the Maverick headphone out? It gives the power AKG needs?

Yes, it works perfectly. My k702s are my first full-size headphones, so I can't compare to other models. I haven't experienced any gain problems, I never have the knob beyond 12 o'clock.

It's a bit funny that the headphones are a bit more bassy when I connect them directly to my laptop (Dell E6400) - I am NOT saying that this is in any way better than the sound of the D1.

I swapped the opamps as soon as I got my unit and I have taken the tube out to save electricity (insert environmentalist smiley here).

Apr 7, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #1,384 of 2,660
Hi, I think I'll buy a maverick but I'm still not sure. If I'll buy it, I think I'll buy also an OPA627 and a LM4562, as suggested in this forum. I'm not sure because there is so much stuff in it, I mean, is really everything good? I would use every component of this dac/amp, from the headphone amp to the valve preamp.
Has anyone compared it with a Zero dac?

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:23 PM Post #1,385 of 2,660
There have been a few people that like the Maverick D1 over the Zero. Personally, I haven't used the Zero but I can say that in this thread there hasn't been any reports of bad build quality (like the Zero's thin PCB). Also the Maverick has the added tube and fantastic support. Sure it costs more but I think it's well worth it.

Apr 7, 2010 at 5:48 PM Post #1,387 of 2,660
It looks like it has the same components. The differences are in layout and features. Ryan had added USB but I think since then the XS model has had that added too. I don't think anyone has commented on sound differences between the two. I think that the larger differences would be price and customer support. It's really hard to beat Ryan's support especially in a chinese-made unit.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #1,389 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It looks like it has the same components. The differences are in layout and features. Ryan had added USB but I think since then the XS model has had that added too. I don't think anyone has commented on sound differences between the two. I think that the larger differences would be price and customer support. It's really hard to beat Ryan's support especially in a chinese-made unit.

The Maverick DAC is the Xiang Sheng DAC identically in terms of sound quality. Ryan took it originally and resold it. Then he began to modify it, to add the line in, on the faceplate, and a few other changes, but there will be no sound quality difference.

Apr 8, 2010 at 12:52 AM Post #1,390 of 2,660
I've lived with the D1 for about three weeks and still maintain that it's a screaming bargain! Better yet, with the M2tech feeding it from my Mac (I prefer Coax to either USB or Toslink).

I had had initial reservations about using it also as a tube preamp because of what I perceived to be bad synergy with a Threshold 400A amp, driving KEF monitor speakers—seemed that it didn't have enough gain. Well, that has been put to rest with added burn-in and a change to a WE tube. The imaging is wonderful and the sound has gotten fuller and warmer (using original OpAmp). With headphones, it's an eminently worthy partner to my DV 3322 (prefer the DV to the D1 for headphone output) and HD-800. An also very fine-sounding Paradisea 3 (WE tube) has gotten very little attention, so little that I am pondering selling it. The D1 has a larger soundstage (very importatnt to me) than the Paradisea, and doesn't take a back seat to it in SQ.

Sinophobes (none here on my couch) needn't worry with this product or manufacturer.

Apr 8, 2010 at 1:07 PM Post #1,392 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mambosenior /img/forum/go_quote.gif
... With headphones, it's an eminently worthy partner to my DV 3322 (prefer the DV to the D1 for headphone output) and HD-800. An also very fine-sounding Paradisea 3 (WE tube) has gotten very little attention, so little that I am pondering selling it. The D1 has a larger soundstage (very importatnt to me) than the Paradisea, and doesn't take a back seat to it in SQ.

Sinophobes (none here on my couch) needn't worry with this product or manufacturer.

Mambosenior: thanks for sharing your experience. Currently I used D1 exclusively with my HD650. Wonder what might differ had I add a tube amp (e.g. LD MKIII) between D1 and HD650. It appears that you used D1 as DAC and DV3322 as headphone amp. With respect to connection, do you connect DV3322 with the normal preamp out (opamp) or the tube output ? How different the headphone output of D1 comparing to amped through DV3322 ?

Thanks

Apr 8, 2010 at 3:56 PM Post #1,393 of 2,660
sfrancis,

I have connected to the DV from both the outputs of the D1. At the moment, using the tubed. However, the SS has many good qualities (maybe a little bit more resolution of details). About a week ago I could swear that I enjoyed the SS more than the tube. So, you see, good for me to have both options as my listening moods and expectations do fluctuate.

I prefer the headphone amplification much more from the DV than from the D1 (sounds fuller and has better imaging). However, please note that I now own only the HD-800. Persons with other ’phones may find the D1's SS headphone out preferable to the tubed. When I connect using the D1 as a preamp, I use the tubed output.

I owned the HD-650 when I first bought the DV 3322 and found that this amp-headphone combination sounded spectacular. I never owned or have auditioned any of the LD amps, although I've read many positive notices about the company.

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:51 PM Post #1,394 of 2,660
Thanks, Mambosenior. That brings me one step closer to a tube amp.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back