Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Mar 22, 2010 at 10:29 PM Post #1,366 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Def /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I suppose really what I'm getting at, is that if you follow the same method described to get bit-perfect 24/96 output, can you not use the same method to have bit perfect 16/44.1? So you would force 16bit in Foobar and set the resampling at 44.1? It would mean swapping setttings each time for different file types, but it is achievable? I just got a bit confused when the tutorial said you can get 24/96 bit perfect but not 16/44.1 - I guess that just means, with that particular setup where you force 24/96 , it will then resample anything else so won't quite be bit-perfect...

No problem
smily_headphones1.gif
Yea, you should be able to. Once these clever people on the forum figured out how to get 24/96, that pretty much means that anything else is open. You'll have to do a bit of testing with your setup to find it the way you want.

Mar 23, 2010 at 12:46 AM Post #1,367 of 2,660
Excellent, thanks Spanky!
k701smile.gif

Yes it's definitely been a great help in working out how I'd go about getting the best out of the unit - pretty much sold me on my choice actually, having the load of background reading to inform my decision. Can't wait to get paid and order one now..!

Mar 23, 2010 at 1:34 AM Post #1,368 of 2,660
So my Maverick has been here about a week now. I am very happy with it. Not much I can say that hasn't been covered in the past 92 pages.

I have a WE396A coming in the mail any day and I am also going to try the LT1364/DAC LM4562/AMP combo. I actually don't use the headphone out on the D1, I send the tube out into a Headroom Micro Amp. Mostly because I already had it and to me it sounds just a hair bit better. But I'm still going to play with the headphone stage because it's fun!

Anyway, I am curios if anyone has tried LM4562 in the DAC and OPA627 in the AMP? I didn't see this combo in the thread. This seems like it might be worth a try, as I know that the 4652 is often a popular choice for DAC's in general and the 627 also has quite a following in amplification applications. I haven't ordered up a 627 yet and was just wondering if anyone had any comments.

Mar 23, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #1,369 of 2,660
Further to the bit-perfect transport question : I've also read that a 16bit -> 24bit conversion just tags 8 zeros onto the digital information, rather than doing anything which could be lossy or interfere with the sound...so if you want to swap between playing 16/44.1 and 24/96 at bit-perfect, you'd only really need to set the sample rate? I suppose technically it's not bit-perfect as you'll be playing a file which is natively 16/44.1 but if you read the output of the S/PDIF it would say 24/44.1 , but it sounds like it would just be an academic thing rather than anything percievable...just a bit like delivering a small box in a larger box...or is this debatable as to whether the 'adding 8 zeros' affects the quality or not depending on what product does it?

Mar 24, 2010 at 9:34 AM Post #1,370 of 2,660
Quote:

Further to the bit-perfect transport question : I've also read that a 16bit -> 24bit conversion just tags 8 zeros onto the digital information, rather than doing anything which could be lossy or interfere with the sound...so if you want to swap between playing 16/44.1 and 24/96 at bit-perfect, you'd only really need to set the sample rate? I suppose technically it's not bit-perfect as you'll be playing a file which is natively 16/44.1 but if you read the output of the S/PDIF it would say 24/44.1 , but it sounds like it would just be an academic thing rather than anything percievable...just a bit like delivering a small box in a larger box...or is this debatable as to whether the 'adding 8 zeros' affects the quality or not depending on what product does it?

Going from 16-bit to 24-bit is lossless
Going from 24-bit to 16-bit is lossy

Since in binary terms 0's mean nothing. Though converting a 16-bit song to 24-bit in an application like foobar is supposed to make using volume control less damaging. But you shouldn't be using any application to modify output volume anyway so this point is moot.

Setting your audio program to 24-bit won't result in anything worst, and any 24-bit files you have will not be downgraded. Though most of us don't even have 24-bit audio.

I am oversimplifying things, and some people could explain it in excruciating detail but this simple explanation should suffice.

Mar 24, 2010 at 12:40 PM Post #1,371 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjikiran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Going from 16-bit to 24-bit is lossless
Going from 24-bit to 16-bit is lossy... I am oversimplifying things, and some people could explain it in excruciating detail but this simple explanation should suffice.

No no, thanks for the simple explanation, saves on the headaches
beerchug.gif
That's what I thought I understood from the 16 -> 24 / 24 -> 16 conversion. Makes it a bit easier for me to set up S/PDIF output to the Maverick; I'll just set Foobar to 24bit , and the Realtek885 onboard lets me select the sample-rate, so as long as I set the ASIO I should get a nice un-altered output if I select the right sample-rate.

I have a few vinyl rips in 24/96 (downloaded, but I do already own the recordings on vinyl and CD!) so would be nice to have them output as untouched as possible. Also have the new Peter Gabriel album in 24bit from a download code that came with the CD.

Mar 25, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #1,372 of 2,660
Quote:

No no, thanks for the simple explanation, saves on the headaches
beerchug.gif
That's what I thought I understood from the 16 -> 24 / 24 -> 16 conversion. Makes it a bit easier for me to set up S/PDIF output to the Maverick; I'll just set Foobar to 24bit , and the Realtek885 onboard lets me select the sample-rate, so as long as I set the ASIO I should get a nice un-altered output if I select the right sample-rate.

I have a few vinyl rips in 24/96 (downloaded, but I do already own the recordings on vinyl and CD!) so would be nice to have them output as untouched as possible. Also have the new Peter Gabriel album in 24bit from a download code that came with the CD.

Chaintech AV70? I think is supposed to allow Bit-Matched playback.

My Auzentech Prelude 7.1 offers bit-matched playback through spdif meaning you can use WASAPI in your audio player and the master sample rate will change to the sample rate of the song so everything you listen to will be untouched.

Mar 28, 2010 at 4:07 PM Post #1,373 of 2,660
Just rolled to a raytheon tube. I dont remember what the chinese tube really sounded like as i used to prefer the solid state out with my bravo tube amp, but now i prefer the tube out. the raytheon 5670 tube seemed to make a much more appealing sound over the stock chinese tube which i think lacked a sound which one might consider analytical. I Think it was a warmer sound with some clarity missing before, but take this with a grain of salt.

xnw683.jpg

Mar 30, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #1,374 of 2,660
Has anyone here from Canada ordered one of these? Just wondered what kind of shipping fees you paid other than the $20 shipping. From a quick google I've found that DHL isnt too bad with the brokerage fees and such but I just want to make sure.

Mar 30, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #1,376 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ihrm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone here from Canada ordered one of these? Just wondered what kind of shipping fees you paid other than the $20 shipping. From a quick google I've found that DHL isnt too bad with the brokerage fees and such but I just want to make sure.

Don't recall any extra charge. I don't think I even paid any tax as Ryan put a low value in custom declare form.

Mar 30, 2010 at 8:01 PM Post #1,377 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfrancis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't recall any extra charge. I don't think I even paid any tax as Ryan put a low value in custom declare form.

Oh thats fantastic! I was gonna see if he could do that for me, but thats great that he does it anyway.

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:58 PM Post #1,379 of 2,660
Thanks Spanky! Great right up by the way
atsmile.gif
Does anyone have any experience with the e-mu 0404? How does it stack up against the Maverick? I'm more or less wondering about the dac here though. I looked at those charts in spanky's post but tech specs don't really mean much.... Thanks!

Mar 31, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #1,380 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ihrm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks Spanky! Great right up by the way
atsmile.gif
Does anyone have any experience with the e-mu 0404? How does it stack up against the Maverick? I'm more or less wondering about the dac here though. I looked at those charts in spanky's post but tech specs don't really mean much.... Thanks!

Can't tell you about the SQ as I have never heard the e-mu 0404 USB(or PCI). But from a technology standpoint based on what I see online

E-MU 404
-Better driver support(possible native ASIO which imo if you use vista is moot since WASAPI is better for music, but for instruments and audio creation that is a different story).
-Audio creation and recording features.
-Purely a pre-amp/DAC far as I can see

Mav
-Swappable Opamps/Tube
-Headphone amp built in(though you can always output to a stand alone amp)
-Tube output for colored experience

Still couldn't tell you about the more subject SQ comparison which is more important but that SQ would also be dependent on the amp matched with the E-MU404.

Still I enjoy my Mav and I don't think you would regret purchasing it. My typing is a little floaty atm, low blood sugar and hunger levels are up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back