Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Mar 1, 2010 at 7:39 PM Post #1,261 of 2,660
Searched through the posts here and it appears that with HD650, a few people are using volume dial around 9 o'clock. I assumed that this is not really preferred. I'm debating if I should do the soldering thing to change R54/R55. Although I'm involved in printed circuit board design on a daily bases, I have not tried many times with soldering iron. Looking at the board layout, one of the resistor seems a bit difficult to reach. Guess I need a smaller solder iron.

Anyone who can share your tricks on changing these resistors ?

Also Ryan mentioned 4.7k value for HD650. Anybody else can confirm that ?

Thanks

Mar 1, 2010 at 7:41 PM Post #1,262 of 2,660
I ran optical out from Marantz CD to the three major contenders Maverick,Zero, and Compass at a meet this last weekend and the Maverick did run a close second among the listeners just below the Compass. But then again the Compass starts out at over 100.00 USD more.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:39 PM Post #1,264 of 2,660
sfrancis, you will have to solder initially but I highly recommend doing what bearmann did. I put it in the condensed faq thread. Basically, he cut up an opamp socket so he could swap resistors easily. This will allow you to find the one you want without having to solder a bunch of times and have a higher chance of damaging the PCB.

boomy, good to know. I think you're one of the few if not the only one that has all 3 or at least owned all 3
smily_headphones1.gif
The Compass was nice but it's sad to see that it's discontinued. There's that FUN thing now but it confuses me lol. With the Zero's reliability and lack of support and Kingwa changing a lot around, I think the Maverick D1 should rise up.

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #1,265 of 2,660
Ok, although I've seen this question posed before:

What are the most common websites to order opamps from for rolling? Preferably ones that offer free samples.
wink.gif

I want to roll a few if I can get them for free, being a cheap college student and all.

I'm enjoying the D1 alot though. I'm free from the onboard realtek ALC888! Hoorah!

Mar 1, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #1,266 of 2,660
Most of the modules that Quingwa offers are simply upgraded DACs and optical in's. The fun is the wave of the future and I agree that Maverick and Zero should also look into pop in upgrades as well as a line from the tube to the headphone out.

Mar 2, 2010 at 12:09 AM Post #1,267 of 2,660
I recently bought a D1 and had an incredibly pleasant transaction with DHL, Ryan, and Maverick Audio. The package was picked up from Mav by DHL on Thursday and arrived at my front door the following Monday ^^.

I immediately swapped out the DAC opamp, but my headphone amp opamp is still in the mail.

Also waiting for my tube amp. Then I will be a happy camper with my DT880s
biggrin.gif

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:25 AM Post #1,269 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I ran optical out from Marantz CD to the three major contenders Maverick,Zero, and Compass at a meet this last weekend and the Maverick did run a close second among the listeners just below the Compass. But then again the Compass starts out at over 100.00 USD more.

boomy3555: Thanks for sharing. Wonder what's the main advantage for compass against D1 ?

Another D1 user plan to get FUN and I'm curious on his comparison.

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:27 AM Post #1,270 of 2,660
Thanks, Spanky. I did read the FAQ and saw that implementation. Will need to dig a bit more on the details.

Anybody else feel the need to change resistor for HD650 ?

Mar 2, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #1,271 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfrancis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anybody else feel the need to change resistor for HD650 ?

I kinda want to for my Beyer's. Not sure when or what resistor I'll like though. I'll post up when I do.

Mar 2, 2010 at 2:45 AM Post #1,274 of 2,660
thearrow: thanks. Looks like they have a canadian site as well. I may order some too.

I guess one just take out the pins from the socket and solder it on ? Do let us know how difficult the soldering is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back