Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Feb 22, 2010 at 6:46 AM Post #1,231 of 2,660
Quote:

Bingo. As well as being cheaper (cost) and having helpful and fast support.

Almost too good to be true!
smily_headphones1.gif

I was wondering if anyone with the maverick could give me some impressions of the LM4562 in the preamp/tube socket. So I have an idea before I order one...

thanks

Feb 22, 2010 at 7:00 AM Post #1,232 of 2,660
my point in posting the unit in the 1st place was just to show how there is a knock off....of a knock off now. Its amazing how the chinese are takeing away the market from each other back in forth or atleast attempting too.

Feb 22, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #1,234 of 2,660
who knocks off who , doesn't matter. in today's world , this will become a norm.

as long the price is reasonable and it performs well enough , then it is justified.

Feb 23, 2010 at 12:28 AM Post #1,235 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Almost too good to be true!
smily_headphones1.gif

I was wondering if anyone with the maverick could give me some impressions of the LM4562 in the preamp/tube socket. So I have an idea before I order one...

thanks

im testing it at the moment. got it today. its fifth different one so far and it sounds nice. better than AD8599. good control of low tones. middle and high sound good as well. vocals very natural. nothing wrong i find about its performance. it doesnt even heat much. i will have to choose between OPA627 and LM4562 now. there is one more that may sound fine with d1. its AD8620 which is on its way to me. have to give it some time to choose the right one and by the time ill probably collect ten different ones. now i need a best setup for akg k702 in headphone amp section so if anyone did something in this direction please share.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #1,237 of 2,660
This maybe a bit off topic but I hope someone can give a hand: I currently use Squeezebox Classic (SB3) as my source and connect it with D1 through optical link. In Squeeze center setting, I chose "audio output volume fixed at 100%", as this bypass volume adjustment of SB3 and allows a direct digital pass-through according to logitech. The problem is that when I do this and connect HD650 to headphone output of D1, it's way too loud at very low volume. I can barely lesson pass 9 o'clock for most songs.

BTW, my unit has the gain setting lowered according to Ryan.

Any comment ?

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #1,238 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfrancis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This maybe a bit off topic but I hope someone can give a hand: I currently use Squeezebox Classic (SB3) as my source and connect it with D1 through optical link. In Squeeze center setting, I chose "audio output volume fixed at 100%", as this bypass volume adjustment of SB3 and allows a direct digital pass-through according to logitech. The problem is that when I do this and connect HD650 to headphone output of D1, it's way too loud at very low volume. I can barely lesson pass 9 o'clock for most songs.

BTW, my unit has the gain setting lowered according to Ryan.

Any comment ?

it looks like its not low enough for your cans. play with them two resistors and surely you will find a right setup.

Feb 23, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #1,241 of 2,660
Well, when I think more about this, this should have nothing to do with my squeezebox source, as it just act as a digital pass through and all volume control is done at D1. So is this specific to HD650 ? Any other people using D1 with HD650 ?What's the volume setting you had ?

Was trying to avoid doing the soldering but looks like I may forced to do it. Now just need to find where to get these resistors.

Feb 24, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #1,242 of 2,660
I ordered the Maverick a day ago for the tube-output/DAC function only. I do not care about the headphone section. I currently interface a Beresford TC-7520 from my Squeezebox Duet to my DIY tube stereo system. As with the Beresford DAC, I care less about the ability of the HP output.

The Beresford unit makes a very, very nice sound improvement to the FLAC files stored on an external hard drive and streamed through my Duet and into my DIY tube system. Should I expect a similar sound enhancement from the tube output of the Maverick?

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:14 AM Post #1,244 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is an eBay seller named Awwan that sells inline resistors

eBay Seller: awwan: Electronics items on eBay.com

I have only purchased one from him but found it well made and surprisingly transparent.

Thanks for the lead. I will check it out.

Feb 24, 2010 at 3:26 AM Post #1,245 of 2,660
Ok, did some tests tonight as I find some time:

1. compare the following 2 scenarios:

A, set squeezebox volume to fixed 100% (bypass volume control and allow perfect digital pass through);
B. Set squeezebox volume to 60% and turn up the volume on D1

Tried a few of tracks on hi fi test CD. I definitely prefer A as it has more details and bass a lot more punch. Also when I test a track on Chesky Records (Bass resonance), with B, I can turn up volume pass 11 o'clock to get comfortable level for HD650, however, I can also hear clearly the background hiss. Turning back to A eliminate the hiss completely, although volume setting on D1 is still around 9 o'clock.

Conclusion: I will need to stay with fixed 100% volume for squeezebox;

2. Finally opened up the case to replace the headphone opamp. Took me a while to take the case out as the case seem to stuck a bit and there is no handle to pull it.

Changing opamp is just as easy as what has been mentioned here and on the FAQ thread (did refer to that thread to find which RefDes to change). Was planning to test DC offset with my multi-meter only to find that it runs out of battery. Hate the fact that it needs 9V battery. So instead used an old ipod ear phone to soak test it for about an hour while I'm doing something else before I plug in HD650.

As what has been mentioned, LM4562 does give less shrill and I definitely prefer it over the stock opamp.

Have not played with LT1364 as I find that I ordered the wrong package. Will have to buy the correct ones again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back