Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Feb 20, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #1,201 of 2,660
i'm using this way...

computer soundcard(HT claro) optical out -> D1 optical -> headphone out

smile_phones.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 12:37 PM Post #1,205 of 2,660
Desktop optical out > D1 > Swans M-200MKIII Powered speakers(Tube out) and XTZ 8.16 Sub(Normal out)

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #1,206 of 2,660
USB Desktop/Digital Coax to SB3 > D1 > Denon 1802 > Hafler DH200 > Strata Mini's.

Feb 20, 2010 at 1:45 PM Post #1,207 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by sfrancis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious as to how people use d1:

1. headphone amp -- connect headphone directly to D1. This is what I'm doing now.
2. DAC -- use D1 as DAC to feed into another amp;
3. pre-amp: I guess to connect pre-amp output of D1 to another amplified and then to speaker ? -- I plan to try this sometime, i.e., connect the pre-amp output to my Pioneer Receiver and then to a bookshelf speaker to compare.

Thanks

2 and 3 option

Use As Dac
Preamp output SS and Tube to amps

Feb 20, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #1,208 of 2,660
Weiby, with the maverick the A5's sound excellent. With my old xfi the highs were very shrill. The d1 smoothed out everything. Definitely made the Audioengine's very easy to listen to, less fatiguing than the xfi. What do you mean by opens up the resolution? The sound stage is great, and depending on the recording it's very easy to pick out every instrument and every note. BTW with the A5 speakers the maverick sounds amazing with the opa627 in the preamp.

Also, the other day I took my A5's over to a friends house. He was thinking of buying a pair to use with his auzentech prelude. After we set the card up right it sounded ok but it needed something. I went and got my maverick... within 10 min he decided to order one and a the opa627. I personally think they're a good combination, but I've never heard another quality dac with it...

And another thing, the a5 are extremely positional. For example with the maverick and opa627 it seemed to me that Ive lost my highs and some mids, they were extremely recessed. The A5's were already raised up to ear level, 6 inches from the back wall and as far apart as I could get them (40"). I fixed the lost frequencies by pulling them off the back wall about 14 inches, so they're an arms length plus 6 inches from me. That put all the frequencies back to where they belong and put me in the middle of the soundstage
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 20, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #1,209 of 2,660
Thanks for the feedback. It's interesting that quite a few use D1 as pre-amp.

I wonder how does the D1 headphone output compares with a dedicated headphone amp for HD650 ? e.g., Little Dot II/III.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #1,214 of 2,660
I think I may have put my foot in my mouth. After long listening sessions I found an issue with the opa627. The vocals in some songs get lost in the mids. Songs like coldplay's "42" for example and others. No real separation on that frequency I suppose. Listening to the LT1364's open and airy nature shows the contrast quite well. It's too bad really, the opa627 sounded very very clean. I think it sounds great depending on your taste in music. But I listen to every genre (except country of course) and the opa627 doesn't cater well to some of them. The LT1364 is more well rounded, Ill just have to give up that ultra clean sound.

Feb 21, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #1,215 of 2,660
Important: for the LT1364

I was doing some research on opamps and read that the LT1364 is a high speed opamp and that in some circuits it can run hot. Well it's pretty damn hot to the touch after a couple of hours but I get no distortions with it. Just to be safe, putting a heatsink on the opamp could possibly prevent any damge to the opamp and the socket/maverick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back