Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Feb 18, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #1,172 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by weibby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like the 840/D1 combo
very very lush mids, good bass extensions.

I think with a better opamp it'll be more engaging plus the reduction of the gain and volume pot changes would not cause the highs to distort.

Yeah..I'm loving the SHR 840's so far....very comfortable and musical. I've also got the Bravo Audio V2 tubeamp on the way, and am considering to invest in the Senn HD650 as well.....It's getting expensive this...but hey....when I hear the music and how beautiful it sounds, I know it's worth it...
L3000.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #1,173 of 2,660
Hey tommo

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on preamp tube and opamp rolling. Ive got the opa627 and the ge jan 5670 right now and some raytheon windmill getters on the way. I love the sound of the 627 but Im hoping the raytheon windmill's will bring the highs out a bit more. Anyways, keep us updated
biggrin.gif

Feb 19, 2010 at 1:00 AM Post #1,174 of 2,660
Feb 20th! An exciting day for sure!

Mav Audio resumes shipping, I can finally get my D1. So excited
smily_headphones1.gif

Can't wait to hear the improvement of my Swans.

Feb 19, 2010 at 4:39 AM Post #1,176 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by tommo21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One negative thing about the D1.....that the outputs doesn't mute when using Headphones.....but that's it....
happy_face1.gif

eh,not a negative imo. im extremely happy they dont because i want to connect 2 amps up to the d1, and use the internal headphone amp, to get 3 listeners at the same time involved, anyone for see a problem with this?

Feb 19, 2010 at 6:54 AM Post #1,178 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
eh,not a negative imo. im extremely happy they dont because i want to connect 2 amps up to the d1, and use the internal headphone amp, to get 3 listeners at the same time involved, anyone for see a problem with this?

Shouldn't be a problem. I've used the headphone out along with the tube pre-amp out to my powered speakers.

muad, TMI.

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:41 PM Post #1,180 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by tommo21 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah..I'm loving the SHR 840's so far....very comfortable and musical. I've also got the Bravo Audio V2 tubeamp on the way, and am considering to invest in the Senn HD650 as well.....It's getting expensive this...but hey....when I hear the music and how beautiful it sounds, I know it's worth it...
L3000.gif

Tommo you didn`t post by the name of Andrea on another forum by any chance did you??

Feb 19, 2010 at 3:47 PM Post #1,181 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fireson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Tommo you didn`t post by the name of Andrea on another forum by any chance did you??

Nope....why are you wondering about that?

Feb 19, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #1,182 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ohhh... I figured out why the opa627's highs didn't sound quite right in the preamp.... It turns out base gets though dirty ears much easier than treble.
redface.gif

And so my cheapest upgrade yet... Buy Q-Tips from Canada at Well.ca - Free Shipping

and a little hint! They're even cheaper if you buy singles

Yep, you should go to the ear doctor every so often as well, you would be surprised what builds up in there to obstruct your audio pathway. No matter how clean you are, no matter how well you clean your ears it happens naturally.

Once I got something near my ear drum, half near obstructed my hearing, when they took it out it was like having a new set of ears. Even normal ear crud that is relatively deep inside that is not easily accessible by a q-tip can change your hearing I would consider quite dramatically.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #1,183 of 2,660
Doctors recommend that you don't use q-tips. My ear, nose & throat physician recommended the use of one of those liquid concoctions sold at any pharmacy that you dump into your ear. It reacts with the wax, breaking it down, and then you just remove the liquid, and let your ears air out. This will almost clear out all the wax without any risk of damaging your ear drums.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #1,184 of 2,660
FWIW, I just tested the high-gain version of the Maverick with the 32 ohm MS1 and there's no hiss.

Feb 19, 2010 at 9:59 PM Post #1,185 of 2,660
Here is photo of my first mods on this dac. Opamps swapped for OPA627 and AD8599 for headphone out. LM4562 and LT1364 to be tested soon but as far as i can hear 627s are the best sounding ones. Tube changed to Tung-Sol 2C51. Swapped that ugly blue LED for a dark red one. In nearest future all capacitors will be changed to OS-CON for digital and Elna Silmic for analog. Also have to change resistors in headphone amp to adjust it to my K702.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back