Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Feb 11, 2010 at 7:09 AM Post #1,081 of 2,660
Don't quote me on this but logically only the digital inputs use the dac to decode the digital signal. From there the signal becomes analogue and then goes to the opamp. From there it runs directly to the preamp ss output or to the tube and then the tube out. Maybe another member can elaborate on this? Im kinda interested to know more about what going on inside the maverick.

thanks

Feb 11, 2010 at 7:20 AM Post #1,082 of 2,660
muad, seems logical to me. I'm not sure you can know a whole lot more without reading a schematic which Ryan, at least now, will not release. The tube IS just for flavor which could come in handy later on for those that are just getting into audio (like me) so you can still use the D1 DAC but use the tube pre-out for a separate tube amp, such as the Bravo Audio one.

Feb 11, 2010 at 8:02 AM Post #1,083 of 2,660
Btw spanky, my opa627au's came in today. At first i didn't like it at all. Kinda harsh sounding but i think I had ear fatigue from work and then concentrating too hard on listening to the new opamp :p Im actually liking it alot more than the LT1364. Its much clearer and still smooth as silk. Im gonna leave it in for awhile till I get used to it and then swap it out and post some impressions.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #1,084 of 2,660
I've had mine running for a month or better. I move it between my family room and my home office (where I work). In the family room it is my DAC/Tube Preamp to my tri-amped all tube horn system were I have a dedicated MS. In my office I use it USB from my computer as a headphone amp. In both cases it is fantastic. I've never been a headphone guy but I REALLY like the sound of my old Grado 60s. Now I am thinking of upgrading those. One thing I have noticed is on my big system the bass is soooo much tighter, the imaging is much more exacting, BUT, the sound stage is greatly reduced.

Now I will roll the opamps and see if that helps the sound stage. Where are you all ordering opamps from?

Feb 11, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #1,086 of 2,660
I stole the opamp off my X-fi prelude(LM4562), initial impression is no change. I replaced it as the headphone output opamp(rather than the dac).

Obviously this impression is done without comparison so in a few weeks i'll go ahead and re-swap them to get a better idea on what might of changed. I replaced the opamp furthest from the tube which I assumed was the headphone out.

Edit: My brain is telling me I hear more nuances, common sense is telling me I am just listening harder than I usually do. My brain could possibly be right this time though but no way to really know until about a week or so of heavy listening and swapping.

Also thought I would add I had to exert almost no real force to take the opamp out of its socket. It popped out in a gentle tug upwards with pliers, remember someone else in this thread saying it was difficult or could of mis-interpretted.

I contacted the guy from usb-audio and he should be adding this devices PID/VID to the next driver update. Which should allow driver based asio(instead of asio4all style). That is if it even works with his driver. The interface is a C-Media USB Audio(cheap PCB they use usually for USB headphones) which is why the USB driver is very limited for windows.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #1,087 of 2,660
My Maverick arrived yesterday despite my concerns about the New Years Holiday. Thanks Ryan !!.. The case still smelled like paint so I think that thay had to rush a few out the door before the Holiday. I plan on replacing the top with Plexi-glass so the overspray on the top doesn't matter. Sounds great and the tube is still burning in (I got the stock tube). I have several other tubes to roll. but until after the meet on 2/27, I'll leave it stock.

Feb 12, 2010 at 2:43 AM Post #1,088 of 2,660
One option that KingWa from Compass suggested for his amp which also has a headphone amp seperate from it's HDAM feed was to feed the HDAM pre-out ( or in the case of the Mav, Tube Pre-out) directly back into the analog inputs. Basically feeding the headphone amp with the tube signal. He suggested making two RCA wires with Solen or MIT caps soldered in the signal path for a cleaner signal. Any Thoughts guys ??

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:02 AM Post #1,089 of 2,660
so since i just got the latest shippment of the d1 does that mean i already have a Jan 5670W tube inside? i dont want to open it up and look yet, lil too busy for tinkering around with it, just curious on whats in there so i know what im listening too

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #1,090 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My Maverick arrived yesterday despite my concerns about the New Years Holiday. Thanks Ryan !!.. The case still smelled like paint so I think that thay had to rush a few out the door before the Holiday. I plan on replacing the top with Plexi-glass so the overspray on the top doesn't matter. Sounds great and the tube is still burning in (I got the stock tube). I have several other tubes to roll. but until after the meet on 2/27, I'll leave it stock.

Do you make the plexiglass cover yourself? Now I want to do the same.
wink.gif

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:38 AM Post #1,091 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so since i just got the latest shippment of the d1 does that mean i already have a Jan 5670W tube inside? i dont want to open it up and look yet, lil too busy for tinkering around with it, just curious on whats in there so i know what im listening too

The one with the upgraded tube was the more expensive version. So it depends on what you paid for it.

Feb 12, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #1,092 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ninjikiran /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The one with the upgraded tube was the more expensive version. So it depends on what you paid for it.

215+15shipped

Feb 12, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #1,093 of 2,660
For anyone out there on the fence about ordering this unit, do not hesitate. I ordered a D1 on Friday Feb. 5th and it was delivered to my door on Wednesday the 10th. I had no idea that something could be delivered from China that quickly. I have been very busy lately at work and I have yet to even open the box yet. Guess what i will be doing now?
icon10.gif
I will be back soon with a report.

Feb 12, 2010 at 6:03 AM Post #1,094 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Suedehead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For anyone out there on the fence about ordering this unit, do not hesitate. I ordered a D1 on Friday Feb. 5th and it was delivered to my door on Wednesday the 10th. I had no idea that something could be delivered from China that quickly. I have been very busy lately at work and I have yet to even open the box yet. Guess what i will be doing now?
icon10.gif
I will be back soon with a report.

agreed, dhl shipping was extremely fast for me as well, and the crazy customs that Canadian borders charge ended up being 8 something, i was so happy i tipped the guy 5 bux

Feb 12, 2010 at 9:06 AM Post #1,095 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by igotyofire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
215+15shipped

Don't know your current at that pricing, but the chinese tube version is $199 and the 5670 tube version is $219. In USD

Quote:

Originally Posted by vvaffles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
agreed, dhl shipping was extremely fast for me as well, and the crazy customs that Canadian borders charge ended up being 8 something, i was so happy i tipped the guy 5 bux

they charge you for them to rip open your package and possibly damage it?? That is some nerve, customs once half destroyed the packaging on a Wii VGA cable I got but luckily the actual cable was undamaged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back