Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Feb 11, 2010 at 3:46 AM Post #1,066 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by blitzpirate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) it cannot even fit in the socket due to the components around it 2) the HDAM is too tall so you cant put the cover on

Would stacking a opamp socket or two give enough clearance? I'm a custom desktop computer builder and I'll probably pull out my dremel to solve issue #2
smily_headphones1.gif
Just a matter of money to buy the HDAM's...

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:21 AM Post #1,068 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Would stacking a opamp socket or two give enough clearance? I'm a custom desktop computer builder and I'll probably pull out my dremel to solve issue #2
smily_headphones1.gif
Just a matter of money to buy the HDAM's...

i just updated my post with some pictures, tell me if that answers any of your questions. and i just checked maybe if you stacked 2 sockets it might fit, but you really want a HDAM stick out at the top of your case? i guess it might look kinda cool lol

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #1,069 of 2,660
Quote:

2 sockets it might fit, but you really want a HDAM stick out at the top of your case? i guess it might look kinda cool lol

Oh, thanks. I did rough measurements and I don't know if the HDAM will fit inside the case with it closed, let alone 2 HDAM's so I figured the easiest way would be to cut a hole in the top. Were you able to close the case on yours? I was thinking of putting 1 HDAM between the PCB and the power supply then another HDAM in the area by the HP amp socket. What would you think of the space on this? I'm also concerned with shorting out against metal and other components.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:41 AM Post #1,070 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, thanks. I did rough measurements and I don't know if the HDAM will fit inside the case with it closed, let alone 2 HDAM's so I figured the easiest way would be to cut a hole in the top. Were you able to close the case on yours? I was thinking of putting 1 HDAM between the PCB and the power supply then another HDAM in the area by the HP amp socket. What would you think of the space on this? I'm also concerned with shorting out against metal and other components.

The space between the PSU and PCB is really tight and some parts do touch, i was afraid the heat generated from the PSU might either short or damage the whole unit or the hdam alone, and i dont think you can fit the hdam in the HP area as that is even a tighter squeeze. These HDAMS are super fat. if you need me to take a picture of a particular area for u too see just let me know.

P.S yea i could close the case with the extension of the hdam in the dac however i felt it was too risky so i didnt bother to turn it on. i even manage to ground the wire.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:45 AM Post #1,071 of 2,660
Quote:

The space between the PSU and PCB is really tight and some parts do touch, i was afraid the heat generated from the PSU might either short or damage the whole unit or the hdam alone, and i dont think you can fit the hdam in the HP area as that is even a tighter squeeze. These HDAMS are super fat.
i even manage to ground the wire.

Thanks for the info. I've been wanting to try it for myself but getting info from someone that has one is the next best thing
smily_headphones1.gif
I guess eventually I'll order them and check out various locations with the extensions and if nothing else, just cut holes in the case and stack opamp sockets.

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:47 AM Post #1,072 of 2,660
ordered on the 2nd, or 3rd and recieved it on the 10th, very fast shipping from china, im not sure why it has all this oily stuff all over the case tho. Using the usb setup for now, need to get a TOS link cable

Feb 11, 2010 at 4:56 AM Post #1,073 of 2,660
o yea btw spanky heres my quick comparison of the zero and maverick. Strictly from a Headphone out perspective, my Zero is equipped with hdam earth+ 2x lt1364 in the headphone amp section. my Maverick is now with LT1364 in the dac and 2xlm4562 in the headphone amp section. I actually prefer the maverick over the zero, the bass out of my hd650 is actually stronger a little too much, not as refined or tight compared to the sound coming out of the zero+Little dot MKiii. the lm4562 does help the maverick alot. If i was on a budget and i just needed a good dac/amp for My headphones right now i would choose the maverick because like everybody said, the build quality is excellent the case is heavy and pretty. knobs feel of quality and many more output+input options and its only about 50+70 dollars more then the zero. But as a dac for any tube amp, i would actually choose the zero because the case is alot bigger leaving you room to roll different types of Opamps on browndog adapters or HDAMS, and its bigger so you can stack your amp on it,but like i said i just got the maverick ill see how things go. I really like the preamp section alot, that is mainly why i bought it so i could get the tube sound for my speakers without separate dac/tubeamp combo.

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:03 AM Post #1,074 of 2,660
question. The tube amp function of this DAC is for use as? a pre amp? or is it another amp in itself. The reason i ask is because if i use the AMPED RCA outs to my bravo tube amp for example arent i amping the signal twice? So in theory i should just use the regular RCA outs in which case im just utilizing the DAC chip? So then what is the proper way to use the tube output if this is the case. RCA amped outputs to some sort of speakers/headphone?

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:20 AM Post #1,077 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi igotyofire,

The maverick doesn't have amped rca outs. Only the headphone out is amped. The tube and ss out will work fine as a preamp.

i thought the reason it goes thru the tube is to amp the signal and either rca out way a digital input uses the dac chip?

Feb 11, 2010 at 5:38 AM Post #1,078 of 2,660
In the maverick the tube isn't used to amp the signal. Its to achieve a tube like sound from the preamp. Although some people on this forum were saying the preamp tube out is hotter than than the ss preamp. It works really well in my case since I'm using powered speakers so it's the only way for me to get a tube out.

Feb 11, 2010 at 6:22 AM Post #1,080 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In the maverick the tube isn't used to amp the signal. Its to achieve a tube like sound from the preamp. Although some people on this forum were saying the preamp tube out is hotter than than the ss preamp. It works really well in my case since I'm using powered speakers so it's the only way for me to get a tube out.

by hotter if u mean louder yes a bit....i just re read on the site it says its used as an output stage i guess to influence sound, and it also says the other one is the solid state out which i guess is the dac chip, but doesn't the dac chip also have to be utlized before it can make its way to the tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back