Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Feb 10, 2010 at 6:10 PM Post #1,051 of 2,660
I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying the D1. After having mine for a few months now I have to say its one of the best audio purchases I've made next to my Strata Mini's. Its the only piece of gear I own that I bought brand new.

I've recommended it already to several other forums I browse and many of its members are now proud owners of a D1.

Thanks again Ryan! I hope to see more products from you.

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #1,052 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zaluss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm glad everyone seems to be enjoying the D1. After having mine for a few months now I have to say its one of the best audio purchases I've made next to my Strata Mini's. Its the only piece of gear I own that I bought brand new.

I've recommended it already to several other forums I browse and many of its members are now proud owners of a D1.

Thanks again Ryan! I hope to see more products from you.

Yea I gotta say for the price I got WAY more than I expected by a long shot. Glad I put off on buying another Dac and Amp till now. The fact that it has so many inputs makes it even more worth it for that alone.

I gotta thank Ryan just for that. I don't have enough experience to compare it but to my listening ears the upgrade was there.

I think we should start making a D2 wishlist
wink.gif

Feb 10, 2010 at 6:46 PM Post #1,053 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyBuoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bottom line. I am looking to sell my EF2 now after getting my D1.

Why? The EF2 has a nice warm sound to it and it was great with my ATH A700s but it just is not up to the job on driving my D5000s to the levels I enjoy.

I had tried 2 different types of tubes in the EF2, I upgraded the wall wart from 16V/600 ma to 18V/800ma and the sound was better, and had more reserves, but still no match for the brute power of the D1 at driving my HP wiith the SQ and punch I love.

I am now experimenting with the SQ on the D1 and have swapped out the HP OpAmps for the 627B, LT1364 and LM4562 . I liked the 4562 the best.
Then I put in the "Sun" HDAM from a Compass and I have not removed it since then. The SQ of the HDAM with my D5000s is a great match. I have ordered a Burson HDAM as I have to return the "Sun" to the Compass owner soon. The Burson HDAM is very much like the one from the Compass. From what I understand Burson just has a better spec on the components that go into the HDAM (matched pairs of parts). I will let you know what that next step in price yields ($160).

Nooo! I wanted the EF2 a little because I want an amp to really make my AD700s sound nice but I also wanted an amp so that I can get some really nice cans in the future like the K701, Dxxxx, and a few others. I guess the D1 is still my best choice. I just wish there was a way I could get the tube to my cd player or something and still benefit from it.

Feb 10, 2010 at 7:26 PM Post #1,054 of 2,660
I can't wait to receive mine! ;-;

I had emailed Ryan and I found out that when my order came though on their end, the courier had just left with the last shipment on Friday! By like less than an hour if I understood correctly!

Bah. I'll just have to wait, and maintain my excitement until shipping resumes on the 20th!

Feb 10, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #1,055 of 2,660
Anyone else notice how "hot" the tube output is relative to solid state?

I ran my earphones off each line output and even with the volume knob cranked to the max, the solid state output wasnt putting off that loud of a signal.

With the tube output, I only had to crank the volume knob to 10:00 to get a decent volume into my 'phones.

What gives?

Kevin

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:51 PM Post #1,056 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannyBuoy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then I put in the "Sun" HDAM from a Compass and I have not removed it since then.

PICTURES PLEASE!!!!!! Does it fit in both sockets? How's the clearance around the other components? Did you just leave the cover off?

Quote:

Originally Posted by happykev /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else notice how "hot" the tube output is relative to solid state?

Yup, talked about a bit here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mav...thread-470639/

Feb 10, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #1,057 of 2,660
I got mine today via DHL. Careful if you swap tubes.

The manual doesn't show that while the two right feet are okay to remove, the two left have nuts on the back, and I think they go into the board. So I had two nuts rolling around before I even got the DAC open.

I through in a Raytheon 5670 windmill getter from my stash and connected it to my 6BM8 power amp with 600mv input sensitivity (IRRC) via the tube output.

Initial impression was that of a compressed sound stage vs. the Peachtree Nova. I haven't had time to play around with the SS output or listen much more, but I did throw on a 2nd track I'm familiar with with it sounds pretty nice so far. I'll give it some time to break-in and try again.

DC

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:42 AM Post #1,058 of 2,660
hey doctorcilantro

Did you also change the opamp on the preamp? It makes a difference on the tube out, since the maverick tube circuit uses the opamp along with the tube. Not sure if you already knew so i thought i'd throw that out there.

Also, please please please can we get pics of the opa sun in the maverick
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 1:47 AM Post #1,059 of 2,660
Thanks I didn't know that. I thought it was a "true" tube output. I'll read through the thread and find an opamp to plug in.

thanks!
DC

Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey doctorcilantro

Did you also change the opamp on the preamp? It makes a difference on the tube out, since the maverick tube circuit uses the opamp along with the tube. Not sure if you already knew so i thought i'd throw that out there.

Also, please please please can we get pics of the opa sun in the maverick
biggrin.gif

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:18 AM Post #1,061 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by bastogne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im guessing the matrix mini-i sounds better as it is $100 more expensive, but can anyone compare between these two?

i'm talking specifically when using both DAC and headamp together.

In this world(audio) I would say price means little vs quality. Just because something is cheaper wouldn't make it automatically inferior. Not trying to attack ya here though, just saying. With that logic there really is a difference between a $10 power cable and a $17000 one.

Feb 11, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #1,062 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a Maverick before and as DAC's the EF2 and the Maverick are very similar. The Solid state headphone out of the Mav is more powerful than the EF2 and better for cans higher than 100 ohms ( Senns, Beyers). But as all of my cans are low impedence the EF2 is my AMP of choice since I like Tubes. I did try the Tube pre out of the Maverick into both the EF2 and my RA1. but still feel that the sig of the EF2 alone is better from Headphone out. I will refrain from comparing the EF and the Compass as they are to disssimilar. At the Seattle/Portland meet on 2/27. I'll have The Maverick,Zero, and Compass all there side by side for Head-Fi'ers to A/B/C..

Anyone but me?

Feb 11, 2010 at 3:39 AM Post #1,065 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PICTURES PLEASE!!!!!! Does it fit in both sockets? How's the clearance around the other components? Did you just leave the cover off?

Yup, talked about a bit here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mav...thread-470639/

you definitely need an extension from kingwa, 1) it cannot even fit in the socket due to the components around it 2) the HDAM is too tall so you cant put the cover on, even if you somehow manage to put it in the socket.

Here are some crappy images i took with my phone to demonstrate the maverick with extension and without, also i tried to put in an opa 627 the adapter for the opa627 i had were kinda wide and couldnt go all the way in either, they were blocked by the components around them too. so for now i will just use my lt1364 until i can find an extra extention because my zero is using the cable at the moment

ImageShack(TM) slideshow

P.S anyone know where i can get another extension cable here in the states?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back