Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 24, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #796 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by matt27 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I figure the cmoy wouldn't be enough to drive them

That's probably one of the top reasons why the bass sounds more precise and detailed after I upgraded from the Penguin CMOY. The D1 certainly isn't a bad investment even if you already have a X-Fi. I've said it before and I'll say it again... I don't regret getting the unit and I'm very pleased with the sound quality, features, support and price.

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:58 AM Post #797 of 2,660
Quote:

I have the victor su-dh1 which is similar, although im almost convinced it has a bit of sound lag in games. oh well. would running it through the d1's headphone amp make any noticeable improvements to sound or would it mess with the dolby headphone positioning technologies?

For one the Victor su-dh1 is using last generation tech, the astro is using upgraded DH
wink.gif
. The Victor supports DTS though, and is more configurable to suit your DH needs. Every step of processing between you and the source adds a delay, generally it is small but some people do notice it. You might be one of those sensitive to that small delay.

Secondly instant I connected my 360 to the D1 I got static. The d1 can't process a dolby stream at all. And dolby headphone doesn't work properly without a 5.1 stream or pro logic stream. Had to change my settings to digital stereo.

Though you might be able to connect the SU-DH1 before the D1, I havn't tried this but slapping it into the Line in and just manually switching cables might work fine since I Just read up on the SU-DH1 and it doesn't amplify. This should have no bearing on the mixed stream, but could have an impact on SQ. My predicament is mines is an amplifier so the results would probably not be very fun. If you get the D1 tell me how it works out if you try this, if it is good i'll grab one just to be able to mix DTS/AAC 5.1 streams. Though I prefer a direct link to the D1 for music.

Would be amazing if they made a D1 with this stuff built in on a toggle.

Jan 24, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #798 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
regarding gain...

A. Lowering the gain of the headphone amp:
Lower R54/R55 (default value should be between 22k ohm and 30k ohm) to 15k ohm or lower. Mine has 4.7k ohm at this moment.
best regards.
bearmann

I use 32 Ohm Senn headsets, i'm presently using a 10K resistor to in place of the 30K (R54/55) that's virtually got shut of hum, i need to fit a slightly lower to be 100% satisfied

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #799 of 2,660
I forgot to mention, my upgrade to the LT1364 & LM4562 has almost entirely eliminated the hum at lower volumes! It struck me as strange when I first put my 'phones on but now I realize that there is a huge difference. Like I said, the LT1364 & LM4562 are the best upgrade for the money you can do for the D1.
At the risk of sounding even more strange, not only has it lowered hum/hiss at lower volumes with my low ohm phones, but the volume seems quite a bit more linear. For instance, I can take it up to 12 o'clock for certain songs, whereas before that would have blown my hearing with the stock OPAMPs.

Jan 24, 2010 at 7:40 PM Post #801 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by sp70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I forgot to mention, my upgrade to the LT1364 & LM4562 has almost entirely eliminated the hum at lower volumes! It struck me as strange when I first put my 'phones on but now I realize that there is a huge difference. Like I said, the LT1364 & LM4562 are the best upgrade for the money you can do for the D1.
At the risk of sounding even more strange, not only has it lowered hum/hiss at lower volumes with my low ohm phones, but the volume seems quite a bit more linear. For instance, I can take it up to 12 o'clock for certain songs, whereas before that would have blown my hearing with the stock OPAMPs.

I have a few LT1364s laying around. Can I use both of these for the opamp upgrades? thanks

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #803 of 2,660
Do you guys normally order 1 opamp at a time or multiple?
Also can anyone recommend an opamp for the dac end since im using speakers only. Im already gonna order a LT1364 and and LM4562 and i guess try the combo. If i don`t like the LT1364 I can always roll the LM4562 for the dac. Lol, its always tricky trying to figure out if everyone rolling opamps are using it for the headphones or not. I usually just assume you are....

Jan 24, 2010 at 8:43 PM Post #804 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Horizons /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a few LT1364s laying around. Can I use both of these for the opamp upgrades? thanks

Go for it. Definitely in the DAC but I'm not sure how it would sound in the HP opamp.

Quote:

one question for everyone: will the D1 drive the dt880 600ohms adequately?

Someone else asked about 600ohm headphones and that is at least one of the reasons why the gain is so high, to support and drive ALL headphones properly.

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #805 of 2,660
Well....time to break my Head-Fi virginity......a Tube Magic has been ordered. Currently stuck in chinese customs in Shanghai, but really looking forward to be getting it. I'm gonna use it with my computers s/pdif out, and it's gonna feed my Swans M200-MKIII.

Already ordered some replacement tubes as in Raytheon 5670 and WE 396a both NOS. Have some opamps from a previoys project which I'm gonna try out..... OPA627BP and 637 BP mounted on Browndogs and LME49720HA mounted on adapters as well. The fit for the browndogs may be a bit tight, so I figure that I can stack another socket in between to get the height required for the browndogs. Really looking forvward to be getting back into the Tube-world.....really miss the sound since I last tried it.

Anyone tried Tube-Dampers on the Tube Magic?

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:53 PM Post #807 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hey tommo, Do you know if we need single or dual opamaps for the mav? Im guessing dual right? Would i only need one 627/637 for the mavs dac?

Well, as I've understood it you need dual opamps. So the 627's and 637's are single channel only, so you need at browndog adapter to fit two of these opamps, a total of 4 if your gonna change for both the headphone out and the DAC-out. Please correct me anyone if I'm wrong!

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #809 of 2,660
k then the 637/627 are out, don't really wanna spend 80 on 2 opamps. As for the LM4562 and the LT1364 no adapters are required right? Sorry to ask so many questions and thanks for all the feedback so far.

Jan 24, 2010 at 11:09 PM Post #810 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by muad /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As for the LM4562 and the LT1364 no adapters are required right? Sorry to ask so many questions and thanks for all the feedback so far.

No adapters needed. Pop out the old ones, pop in the new ones and it's done. No need to apologize either, this thread is for learning and sharing experiences
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back