Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 22, 2010 at 2:12 AM Post #751 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by thearrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, does anyone have a better place than ebay to buy some 5670 Raytheon Windmill Getters?

I wouldn't hesitate buying from that eBay seller. I personally got great service and quick shipping from them on the Windmill getters.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:21 AM Post #752 of 2,660
My unit does not wobble at all as well. No hum as well. Just a little hiss for my sensitive AD2000.

In addition , i stick four 3m rubber feets on top of that to make sure my set is "bolted" to my table. It does not move around easily now.

I'm using LT1364 for the DAC and LM 4562 for the headphone amp. So far so gd I would say.

Anyone using different opamp for DAC , care to share their results ?

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 6:14 AM Post #753 of 2,660
I looked more carefully at the Mav box tonight. I have concluded that the wobble is not caused by the stamping of the metal. It's caused by the rubber feet themselves. I can see, based on the molding marks on the feet, one foot is about 1 mm shorter than the others. This causes the wobble. So, it's a double non-issue now.

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #754 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just a quick update on opamp rolling:

- AD823:
120/180mV DC offset. Sounds very nice and kinda "forward / in your face". Probably a good choice for laid back / warmer headphones, but you probably knew that already... DC offset is critical though, at least in my unit.

- LME49720:
120/180mV DC offset (yeah, exact same as with AD823). Very neutral and natural but less kickbass than the AD823, I think.

- LM4562NA: 0/0mV DC offset (!). It's now my opamp of choice although I thought that LME49720NA = LM4562NA... I guess not.

- OPA2132: 0/0mV DC Offset... didn't listen very closely to this one.
wink.gif

best regards.
bearmann

What DMM do you have? Didn't you say couple of pages back that you got that 120/180mV also with LM4562? So, unless your DMM is not of high quality and very accurate, that variance between measures and different op-amps could resemble your DMM's inadequacy to measure such low voltages?

Jan 22, 2010 at 1:24 PM Post #755 of 2,660
I'm using a normal Fluke DMM , the LM4562 is within the so called "safety" range , DC offset measured very low iirc less than 10mv.

Jan 22, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #757 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by thearrow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The auction ended and they stopped relisting it.
frown.gif

get from mavaudio website direct ?

imo , it is worthwhile.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:52 PM Post #758 of 2,660
Mine wobbled when I got it, but I flipped it over and saw a little round ridge from the molding process was visable on three of the feet. I used a little piece of 220 grit sand paper and knocked the ridges off and it is stable as can be.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:58 PM Post #759 of 2,660
OK, I have stated publicly that I would never sit and listen to music on a pair of headphones.....this after spending 4 years in the Navy listening to headphone for 8 hours a day
triportsad.gif
. I do have a pair of Grado SR60s that I pack when I travel so I can have SOME music in the hotel rooms at night....but was never taken buy the sound.

Yesterday, I bought my D1 into my office from my family room and hooked it up to my computer along with my music external harddrive. WOW,
darthsmile.gif
I never thought headphones could sound so good. I ment to do it just so I would not wake my wife with my music but I gotta say, I was impressed. Now, I am thinking about ordering another D1 just for my office. Damn, I knew I should have never started hanging out here.
smile_phones.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 4:45 PM Post #760 of 2,660
OK, I have a question and a comment.

Does the headphone side of the D1 "burn in" or is it burned in as I have been using it as a preamp in my main system?

I can hear "air" when there is no music playing and it get, not exactly loud, but very noticable when I crank up the volume. and, the first two clicks on the volume knob don't do anything then the third click is at a perfect listening level. Beyond that, it is too loud.

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #761 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcluded /img/forum/go_quote.gif
get from mavaudio website direct ?
smily_headphones1.gif

I was talking about the Raytheon Windmill Getter replacement tubes, not the mav itself, I already have one.
tongue.gif

Jan 22, 2010 at 7:56 PM Post #763 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by djnagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I have stated publicly that I would never sit and listen to music on a pair of headphones.....this after spending 4 years in the Navy listening to headphone for 8 hours a day
triportsad.gif
. I do have a pair of Grado SR60s that I pack when I travel so I can have SOME music in the hotel rooms at night....but was never taken buy the sound.

Yesterday, I bought my D1 into my office from my family room and hooked it up to my computer along with my music external harddrive. WOW,
darthsmile.gif
I never thought headphones could sound so good. I ment to do it just so I would not wake my wife with my music but I gotta say, I was impressed. Now, I am thinking about ordering another D1 just for my office. Damn, I knew I should have never started hanging out here.
smile_phones.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by djnagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OK, I have a question and a comment.

Does the headphone side of the D1 "burn in" or is it burned in as I have been using it as a preamp in my main system?

I can hear "air" when there is no music playing and it get, not exactly loud, but very noticable when I crank up the volume. and, the first two clicks on the volume knob don't do anything then the third click is at a perfect listening level. Beyond that, it is too loud.

@first post, I told you so
wink.gif

@second post,
Happens with sensitive low impedence headphones on the D1. The new production batch of the D1 might of been better for you since the gain was lowered, only way to fix it now would be a relatively simple mod. I don't get it on my headphones and the volume knob has a little more range between low volume, listening normal, and high. They make my headphones shine on new levels
wink.gif
so much so I integrated them with my entire system. I also am not completely sold on burn-in so can't comment on that.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #764 of 2,660

Users who are viewing this thread

Back