Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 18, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #676 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by xcluded /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ya. the power plug cable for the D1.

because when i auditioned this unit back at a shop , they have this interesting power cable.

smile_phones.gif

All power cables are the same. The stock is no better than any other cable. However, I do like the Iron Lung Jellyfish ($20 USD) for flexibility and looks.

Jan 18, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #678 of 2,660
I figure I'd chime in about the power cable. For now, I just took a regular power cable I had on hand, cut it, then looped it around a ferrite ring a couple times then soldered it back together. It works and if nothing else, it raised my soldering and heatshrinking skills a pinch
smily_headphones1.gif

I do have a medical grade isolation transformer on the way though. I've never used one but it should be an interesting experience. They were cheap on eBay ($30 for 2) and they should put out enough power to run the D1.

Down the road when I have plentiful amounts of cash, I plan to re-wire the isolation transformer since the cable length is funky for my setup and I don't know if it uses shielded or not. Here's a link for a "cheap" DIY cord:
DIY Belden 83803 Mains Power Cable

I'll definitely report back if the isolation transformer does any good to the D1.

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #679 of 2,660
I turned mine on after I got home from work and i got a static sound. I am guessing it was because the tube was not warmed up. I waited a few minutes and turned on my amp and it was fine. Does that sound like what others experience?

Jan 18, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #680 of 2,660
Well i've got around ~200 hours on my unit now and the i've really felt that the highs have not settled down enough for my tastes. It prevents me from turning the volume up as loud as i'd like. Im going to try OPAMP rolling in the near future, but thus far its just a bit disappointing as to how little difference burn in past ~10 hours has changed this.

Lastly, after all these hours the main volume pot has gotten "sticky" in the lower ranges. I often fiddle with it (due to not being able to handle the sometimes blistering highs) but i'd not excpect there to be such a tactile difference between moving the volume pot at lower ranges and higher ranges noticed when my unit was turned off. Just an interesting phenomena, any idea why this might be?

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:35 AM Post #681 of 2,660
Has anyone received confirmation on their order first? I paypal-ed on the 14th and haven't heard from Maverick Audio. I also can't log into the site although I'm registered?

Jan 19, 2010 at 2:38 AM Post #682 of 2,660
Personally, I was extremely impatient and kept harassing Ryan to see if he shipped it yet
smily_headphones1.gif
I don't know if he sends you a confirmation email or not. He was fast with getting mine out even though it was around the holidays.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #683 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by ovrclkd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone received confirmation on their order first? I paypal-ed on the 14th and haven't heard from Maverick Audio. I also can't log into the site although I'm registered?

I think your shipping confirmation has been sent a few days ago, however, the email get "filtered" by your ISP. I've just used gmail to send you the tracking code. Let me know if you still didn't get it.

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:52 PM Post #684 of 2,660
I just ordered some Russian 6N3Ps and 5670 Raytheon tubes. Hope that Mavaudio is able to ship my D1 soon
smily_headphones1.gif

I opted to get my piece from new patch that is going to be in stock in Thursday according to Ryan. In new patch Mavaudio has reduced the head phone amp's gain from the original (unsure how much), otherwise it is the same.

Jan 19, 2010 at 9:31 PM Post #686 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by MartinV56 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
IMHO The best VALVES for the Maverick, XS, GF, Dac

WE396A (D getter)
WE2C51 (D getter)
Bendix 6385
Tesla 6CC42

The best OPA for the Dac

OPA 627 BP

Do you have an real use speculation on that MartinV56? Have you rolled them in the Maverick yourself I mean? I'd really like to hear your feedback on this unit itself. Thanks, sp70.

Jan 19, 2010 at 10:46 PM Post #690 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by sp70 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do you have an real use speculation on that MartinV56? Have you rolled them in the Maverick yourself I mean? I'd really like to hear your feedback on this unit itself. Thanks, sp70.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f5/mav...4/index17.html

I have the Xiang-Sheng Dac 01, with WE 396 view the photo, my amps are set, Diy DHT 45,2A3,300B. The Xiang-Sheng for the price ($195)is a excellent tube preamp and good tube buffer dac.I Replace the Zhaolu Dac 2.5 with LM4562 and bypass by Xiang-sheng and I like the XS.I try to improve the XS far as I can, if I fail in the future I think of a Paradisea or Havana Dac lot more costly

Users who are viewing this thread

Back