Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Jan 17, 2010 at 10:08 PM Post #646 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by _Spanky_ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Maybe one of these days I'll try out DDLive...

As for the DC offset... I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. I have my multimeter set at 200m on DC volts and the black lead connected to ground and the red lead to either channel. On the right channel, I'm getting a negative number that's dropping... It was around -186 and is now at -167 and still dropping... or is that rising? The left channel is steady at -186. Help!

yea its only like $5 anyway, so not much financial loss if you don't like it. I just googled it up, apparently only Auzentech offers it free. I don't know how updated the one creative sells is compared to the ones included free in Auzentech driver updates.

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:08 PM Post #647 of 2,660
Quote:

As for the DC offset... I'm pretty sure I'm doing it right. I have my multimeter set at 200m on DC volts and the black lead connected to ground and the red lead to either channel. On the right channel, I'm getting a negative number that's dropping... It was around -186 and is now at -167 and still dropping... or is that rising? The left channel is steady at -186. Help!

Ok, from what I read, different values is ok but why is one dropping? How long would it take to fry headphones? I've been using my DT770's and crappy headset with the opamps for many hours without problem.

Different values are common and no problem. The negative voltages are caused by a wrong DMM wire, I guess. That's no problem, too.

But ~180mV DC offset are definitely a problem! I have no hard facts and no (long time) experience with DC offset in headamps, but AFAIR >100mV DC offset, over a long time, can damage/alter your phones. 180mV are definitely to high!

regards.
bearmann

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:14 PM Post #648 of 2,660
frown.gif
I know I have it connected properly so unless the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter or the 1/4" plug I'm using is cross wired, I don't understand why it's negative.

Remember I said it was dropping/rising? The right channel is at -88 and the left is at -189 now although the last half hour or so I've been using the DAC and tube out for my speakers.

Is the DC offset just caused by the headphone opamp or would the DAC opamp have an effect?

Maybe it's time I look into the HDAM's =\

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:23 PM Post #649 of 2,660
Quote:

Is the DC offset just caused by the headphone opamp or would the DAC opamp have an effect?

It's just the headphone amp. And open the case and try to measure the voltage directly on the three pins on the left side of the headphone jack.

regards.
bearmann

Jan 17, 2010 at 11:55 PM Post #650 of 2,660
Has anyone else noticed that you can hear it switching inside when you go from 41KHz to 44Khz to 96KHz? I can hear it when doing it with audio input @ OPTICAL.

Should be able to make it do this on USB too, but I can't :/

Sound is better for me when using the optical connection than the USB.

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:15 AM Post #651 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by DannagE /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone else noticed that you can hear it switching inside when you go from 41KHz to 44Khz to 96KHz? I can hear it when doing it with audio input @ OPTICAL.

Yup, mine does that.

Jan 18, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #652 of 2,660
USB is limited to a single sample rate, no matter what the files sample rate is. You will always be sending this out to the maverick. Unless you can set windows sound settings to send anything higher via USB. (Also constant 16-bit)

Optical out can be variable to the maverick. (Or Bit-Perfect). As in you can send out any sample rate up to 96k, and you can send either 16-bit or 24-bit.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:10 AM Post #653 of 2,660
I'm beginning to wonder if I have a defect in my unit. Both on the LF353 and LM4562 I get about 40mv on the right channel and around 185mv on the left channel. I don't know electronics enough to even speculate... I'm going to send this post to Ryan.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:13 AM Post #654 of 2,660
@ spanky & bear :

is there any other opamps that we can upgrade without fearing of the dc offset ?

the stock unit still got that high shrills at times....i wonder if a long burn in may reduce it.

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:15 AM Post #655 of 2,660
xcluded, I think you're safe with my combo of the LT1364 and LM4562 since I get acceptable readings on the right channel but if I were you, I would definitely measure it if you can.

OH OH OH and!!!!!!!
I found out that the Audio-GD HDAM will not fit inside the Maverick. Simply a lack of space. I mocked up a cardboard box roughly the size of the HDAM and there wasn't a spot for it to sit that would allow the lid to close. However, I'm tempted to order anyway and disassemble the extension leads to go through the vent holes then the HDAM's would sit on top of the Maverick, perhaps in their own little box. This would keep the warranty intact as well
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #657 of 2,660
That is an excellent idea _Spanky_ I hope that could be the end all mod for the Maverick. I wonder what the DC would be then.

Are you certain that your readings of the LT1364 and LM4562 are safe for use on this unit? I would be disappointed to hear of anyone damaging their 'phones because of it.
frown.gif

Jan 18, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #658 of 2,660
Thanks sp70
biggrin.gif
I hope I can be the first to do it and perhaps pave the way!

The right channel showed readings under 40mv... I think there might be something wrong with my unit to show over 180mv on the other channel. I sent Ryan a e-mail and we'll see what he says about my unit. I don't recall bearmann getting un-even offset on the channels so I think it's just my unit and if that's the case the LM4562 is safe but don't hold me liable.

Jan 18, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #660 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by brod /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just want to say that the refund procedure for returning a D1 was very quick and painless for me. Was impressed with the speed and quality of support by Ryan.

Why did you return it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back