Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Oct 20, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #76 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already have a nos ge5670. They are only 10-15.00 anyway. But that is a nice bonus. Anyone knows how long the warranty is on the mav. If it is in fact the same oem one, I might still be interested in the mav because the black chassis just looks much better to me(and all of my components are black). It still concerns me that the seller had not responded to the three emails I sent inquiring about it. I did find out how to bypass the preamp if anyone's interested. It's just as simple as changing a plug around on the inside. Grant fidelity has detailed instructions with pics on their website. It's a shame they would charge 25.00 to do a two minute job.

What e-mail address have you been using? I've been using the ebay@mavaudio.com address and he has been relatively responsive.

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #77 of 2,660
Quote:

I already have a nos ge5670. They are only 10-15.00 anyway. But that is a nice bonus. Anyone knows how long the warranty is on the mav. If it is in fact the same oem one, I might still be interested in the mav because the black chassis just looks much better to me(and all of my components are black). It still concerns me that the seller had not responded to the three emails I sent inquiring about it. I did find out how to bypass the preamp if anyone's interested. It's just as simple as changing a plug around on the inside. Grant fidelity has detailed instructions with pics on their website. It's a shame they would charge 25.00 to do a two minute job.

Unfortunately, or fortunately if you don't care, or prefer it, you cannot get the Maverick to bypass the preamp with the plug change. Apparently this is one of the few places that do differ. Not sure if this was asked for by Maverick specifically, but it is one of the few points of difference. A gentleman who I contacted through ebay who owns one has said some soldering might be involved and he is in contact with either Maverick or Xiangsheng about a solution.

Not to drive any business Grant Fidelity's way since they are basically squashing Maverick and Pacific Valve, but they will be getting black faceplates in as an option for their upcoming shipment. Not sure if the knobs will be black as well (I would hope so). Rachel at Grant also said that $300 shipped will be there normal price for internet orders for now. Comes with a one year warranty.

I am also surprised that Maverick hasn't gotten back to you as Ryan over there was really responsive and helpful whenever I had questions for him. I asked him a bit about being forced to shut down selling in NA and how that would impact service and he was adamant that he is in this business to stay and that service was the only way to differentiate himself. So he will stand by the product and will take returns, minus shipping (not sure what $$ that would be).

In the end, each version (assuming the same tube is being used) should sound the same and that is the real question for those of us who want one. Regardless of price, how this thing sounds and stacks up to other well-known DAC/amps is really what will determine its true value and down the line determine where people buy theirs from.

At $300-390, people over at audiokarma.org (very little emphasis on headphones), have said it is an outstanding value. I have read so many different threads on these siblings that I can't remember where I read it, but someone said they preferred it to the Dac Magic which is well regarded here. So the Maverick or straight from Xiangsheng is an even better deal.

I have a lot of things I want to buy and a budget too small for all of them which is why I have been on the fence for so long about this. I think I would rather spend the money on some new headphones or speakers, but then again, I need to have a good source for all my stuff. Other than that, this seems like a dream product for me (if they built a matching T-amp, it would complete my dream).

Maverick wins on looks over almost any product I have seen on this site. I am absolutely flummoxed why no one seems to care what these things look like.

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #79 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by boomy3555 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ryan has communciated very well with me so far, but I've made a recent purchase so that could flavor in to his response times.

Maybe, although he has been very responsive to me and I have been on the fence and pestering him for weeks.

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:30 PM Post #80 of 2,660
Well I really don't understand why he has been inresponsive, but the fact is, he has. Sorry to hear that I couldn't bypass the preamp with the plug swap. This will be a deal breaker for me. I really hate that, cause I was on the verge of looking over everything else and getting one. But hey 187.00 shipped with warranty for the xs one isn't bad. Just hate the shinning aluminum faceplate will be glaring in my room.

Oct 20, 2009 at 10:56 PM Post #81 of 2,660
Can you give a link to those images? I'd like to open it up and see what it looks like, that would inhibit the changes. How much sonic difference does everyone think this will make? I've never done anything like it, so I don't have anything to compare it to.

Quote:

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:11 AM Post #84 of 2,660
Quote:

So are both the tube and opamp outputs controlled by the volume knob on the mav?

If I understand Ryan @ Maverick audio, yes and it is not changeable at the moment.

You could try to see if Grant Fidelity would sell you the black faceplate to replace the silver one on the Xiangsheng if you get it. Also, a custome faceplate shouldn't be more than $30-40 from a place I saw on the DIY forum (thoroughly unhelpful, but I can't find the link right now). You would just have to measure super precisely the wholes to get them drilled.

I don't know if painting would work on aluminum. And yeah, I can't stand the silve alumninum on a lot of the amps out there. Almost makes them look cheap to my eyes.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:05 AM Post #85 of 2,660
Thanks for the info. I just pulled the trigger on the xs one. It' s the oem version, so I know that's it's been "unfooled" around with. I also have the option to bypass the preamp, and it's totally reversible. And most importantly, it's from an authorized dealer and comes with a year warranty. I wish I could have felt confident enough to go with the mav, because of the looks. But the xs was a much safer option for me and came much closer to meeting all of my needs. I'll post some impressions when it comes in. Also the mav dealer is a little hard to trust. I know the folks a GF have really bashed them, but in their defense, the mav dealer does claim that they designed it which is clearly not true. They even go as far as to state that they spent a great deal of time on the design. So I just felt more safe going with the oem version. And besides, they are at the moment cheaper than the mav. I'm not in any way criticizing people who purchased the mav. Everyone has a right to spend their money on whatever they want. As for me, it just didn't feel as safe buying from them, as it did buying the oem version from an authorized dealer.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:27 AM Post #86 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by FraGGleR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, a custome faceplate shouldn't be more than $30-40 from a place I saw on the DIY forum (thoroughly unhelpful, but I can't find the link right now). You would just have to measure super precisely the wholes to get them drilled.

That would be "Front Panels Express."

A matched pair for the Mini3 custom I built were about $45 including filled text, so for something this size you should be able to get out around that price as long as you don't make the text colored.

Or have no text and do the old "white text on clear labels" DIY trick
wink.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #87 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That would be "Front Panels Express."

A matched pair for the Mini3 custom I built were about $45 including filled text, so for something this size you should be able to get out around that price as long as you don't make the text colored.

Or have no text and do the old "white text on clear labels" DIY trick
wink.gif

That's the one! Thanks, Lauren.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #88 of 2,660
Quote:

Thanks for the info. I just pulled the trigger on the xs one. It' s the oem version, so I know that's it's been "unfooled" around with. I also have the option to bypass the preamp, and it's totally reversible. And most importantly, it's from an authorized dealer and comes with a year warranty. I wish I could have felt confident enough to go with the mav, because of the looks. But the xs was a much safer option for me and came much closer to meeting all of my needs. I'll post some impressions when it comes in. Also the mav dealer is a little hard to trust. I know the folks a GF have really bashed them, but in their defense, the mav dealer does claim that they designed it which is clearly not true. They even go as far as to state that they spent a great deal of time on the design. So I just felt more safe going with the oem version. And besides, they are at the moment cheaper than the mav. I'm not in any way criticizing people who purchased the mav. Everyone has a right to spend their money on whatever they want. As for me, it just didn't feel as safe buying from them, as it did buying the oem version from an authorized dealer.

Please post your impressions when you have gotten a good listen in. I am out of the market for this at this point (serious pull toward new speakers right now), but I still like everything this DAC/amp offers at its price point.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #90 of 2,660
I've been thinking about picking one of these up but realistically, I have a perfectly good DAC/amp (the Topaz) with similar components, I don't need a preamp, and somehow I've acquired three headphone amps in the past two weeks.

Someone let me know how it goes. I might pick one up to resell at a small loss to a/b with my Topaz which was $449.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back