Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Oct 18, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #61 of 2,660
It'd be interesting if someone could do a quick faceoff between the head direct ef2 and this fellow. Even though this one is more of a dac and the ef2 is mostly an amp.

Oct 19, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #66 of 2,660
For FraGGleR's sake, I'm going to jot down some ideas/feelings/ideas I've had with this little dac/amp/everything else.

So, I've got two set ups. Coming off a digital to the Maverick DAC, and then heaphone out, or off digital to the DAC and then to my little dot mkiii.

At first, I found the whole set up to be blistering high pitched, and vocals would make me squirm. It was terrible. After hours of adjusting equilizers, tubes and more I realized it was my new power cables that was doing it.

So for the actual set-up amp. First with grado sr225. I found right off the amp, the vocals were still a bit too shrill for me. Especially "s" words. Became hard to bare. Listening through the little dot changed it up, and smoothed it up a bit, but some "s" still were hard to take.

Now for the good news. Listening through hd650 really changed the headphones. They still had an impressive sound for stringed instruments, which was quite impressive, and even better off the little dot. But more than that, I had never really been impressed by vocals on the hd650. Coming straight off the maverick DAC, vocals were surprisingly clear and detailed.

DT770s had a similar effect. Much clearer and stronger vocals, which were much more detailed, and instruments also sounded a bit better. But the vocals were unlike I had heard before. It was like a new pair of headphones.

-- Sorry I'm just writing ideas down as a starting point. I've been pretty busy. So, I'll open to questions, and try to add more later.

I'm also waiting to buy a pair of k702s, so I'd love to put impressions with those up, but I need to sell one more thing in order to afford them. So if a kind soul would be willing :)

Oct 19, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #67 of 2,660
Ryan has shipped already so hopefully it will be soon. DHL isn't the best in our neck of the woods, but we'll see.

I'll be lsitening at least two ways

1>Ipdo 5th gen 80gb video...wav > LOD(copper) > Maverick RCA In > Reviews of both headphone out and pre-out to the EF2.

2> Netbook> Itunes> USB>Maverick> Again both headphone out and pre out to ef2.

3> both of the above systems with the Fostex T50RP

4> Option #1 above with Direct CD ( Marantz DV6001 DVD/SACD)

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #68 of 2,660
Hopefully someone will figure out the op-amp end of this and be able to suggest a few different flavors that can be interchanged so that we can roll them.

I haven't been able to spend any time listening to mine for almost a week now, but I still say that, for the money, you get a ton of capability, and a lot of value.

Oct 20, 2009 at 3:36 PM Post #70 of 2,660
I've found out who the original manufacturer is between maverick, grant fidelity, and XiangSheng . I went to Xiang Sheng's website and inquired about their dac-01 because on their website you can get options that's not available from the other two companies. Here's the excerpt from their website:

Note: DAC-01 Output Mode have the two following choose:
1, whether or not Volume potentiometer control line output:
A. Line output (connect with amplifier) and headphone amplification are both controlled by the volume potentiometer .
B. Only the headphone amplification is controlled by the volume potentiometer .

2. When inserting earphone,whether or not line output became mute .
A. When plugging in headphones, line output becomes mute automatically, only headphone amplification have output. When removing heaphones, line out recovers by itself.

B. When plugging in headphones, line output and headphone amplification both have output. You will need to turn off your amplifier to listen through headphones only.

Please specify your choose when ordering ( For example, reference format : 1A、2A ).If don't specify when ordering,we will ship item out according our default output pattern .

Our default output pattern is 1A, 2A.

1A means : Line output (connect with amplifier) and headphone amplification are both controlled by the volume potentiometer .

2A means : When plugging in headphones, line output becomes mute automatically, only headphone amplification have output. When removing heaphones, line out recovers by itself.

Finally, Please specify the Voltage you need , all Voltage are available.

I would love to have the preamp bypassed because the outputs would be going to my receiver and stax amp so I don't care for the outputs to be controlled by the volume. grant fidelity gives you this option for an additional 25.00. I also would love for the outputs to mute when ever headphones are plugged in. Grant fidelity doesn't give you this option(not that I'm aware of). So I contacted them about purchasing this and this is the response I got.

Very glad to hear from you and thank you for interesting in our products.

We have distributor in North America for this DAC product . You can purchase the DAC in your local area. And they will provide manufacturer warranty to customers:

Grant Fidelity Tube DAC-09 Digital-to-analog Converter - MSRP US$390.00 | Grant Fidelity Home Audio

If you have any question, please feel free to contact us .

Thanks and Best Regards,
Ann

Hefei Xiangsheng Electronic Co. Ltd
No.122 KEXUE AVENUE GAOXIN DISTRICT,HEFEI,CHINA
Telephone: 0086-0551-5316108
Fax :0086-0551-5317108
MSN: lanhaitun2006@live.cn
Web site: Hefei XiangSheng Electronic Co.,Ltd

I was very surprise when I read this. Not only is the grant fidelity a rebranded DAC-01, it is a dac-01. But it appears that they are the only authorized dealer in north America, which is something FraGGleR stated earlier. But what we didn't know was who the oem was. I now will be ordering the dac-01 of ebay since it's now on sale for 187.00 shipped. Especially since the maverick dealer refuse to respond to any of my emails. I do like the look of the maverick better, but it's obviously a clone.

Oct 20, 2009 at 7:10 PM Post #71 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was very surprise when I read this. Not only is the grant fidelity a rebranded DAC-01, it is a dac-01. But it appears that they are the only authorized dealer in north America, which is something FraGGleR stated earlier. But what we didn't know was who the oem was. I now will be ordering the dac-01 of ebay since it's now on sale for 187.00 shipped. Especially since the maverick dealer refuse to respond to any of my emails. I do like the look of the maverick better, but it's obviously a clone.

It's not a clone, it's an original from pacific valve. Grant fidelity is trying to make it look different, because obviously, someone selling their dac at half cost might hurt their business, just a little bit.

See these links, at audio karma.

cache

what happened after an admin found it

remember Grant fidelity is a serious sponsor of that site.

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:02 PM Post #72 of 2,660
Even if it's not a clone. We now know who the original manufacturer is, and their dac is on ebay for the same price as the maverick. And the fact that the mav dealer won't respond to any of my emails turned me off from them. So I'll probably be getting the dac-01 since they are the ones who manufactured it anyway. Also the person I'm getting it from is an authorized dealer from China(I confirmed this with Xiang Sheng). And they can also send me the one with the options I want(none preamp on non of the outputs, and when I plug in headphones, the outputs will automatically mute).

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #74 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyrn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if it's not a clone. We now know who the original manufacturer is, and their dac is on ebay for the same price as the maverick. And the fact that the mav dealer won't respond to any of my emails turned me off from them. So I'll probably be getting the dac-01 since they are the ones who manufactured it anyway. Also the person I'm getting it from is an authorized dealer from China(I confirmed this with Xiang Sheng). And they can also send me the one with the options I want(none preamp on non of the outputs, and when I plug in headphones, the outputs will automatically mute).

I haven't looked at mine yet but supposedly the Maverick comes with an upgraded 5670 tube where the Xiang Sheng version comes with the 6N3. Just saying...

Oct 20, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #75 of 2,660
I already have a nos ge5670. They are only 10-15.00 anyway. But that is a nice bonus. Anyone knows how long the warranty is on the mav. If it is in fact the same oem one, I might still be interested in the mav because the black chassis just looks much better to me(and all of my components are black). It still concerns me that the seller had not responded to the three emails I sent inquiring about it. I did find out how to bypass the preamp if anyone's interested. It's just as simple as changing a plug around on the inside. Grant fidelity has detailed instructions with pics on their website. It's a shame they would charge 25.00 to do a two minute job.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back