Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Mar 24, 2014 at 2:27 PM Post #2,566 of 2,660
Apparently never got the notification for this.

This may be due to the windwos driver changing its "default" speaker device. Not sure. I run my through the optical.

Mar 26, 2014 at 11:30 AM Post #2,567 of 2,660
Best product I've ever purchased, the single best item in my audio chain except for my Thiel speakers.

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:47 AM Post #2,568 of 2,660
Mods: We need a new section in this thread for the D1+ ... it's a whole nuther aminal!

Short answer ... the D1 is NOT upgradable.

Short answer ... I for one couldn't resist. <G>

Got my shiny new D1plus the other day and have around 30 hours on burn in. Basically fired up a playlist in jRiver and have had that pushing tunes for maybe 6 hours a day. Several listening sessions logged also.

Using the New! Improved! Tenor USB stage, the sound is already crisper than that of the D1. Soundstage isn't what I'm used to, but that figures, as the D1+ is currently running the stock Chinese 6N3 tube and the basic op amps. I plan to burn these in for maybe another 50 hours just to see what they can do, then swap back to the D1 w/upgrades for a head to head. That's currently got the OPA627 op amps and a 1972 JW series WE2C51 tube ... my favorite. Do a couple swaps to get a feel for the differences, then switch the WE tube into the D1+, try that, then swap the OPA627 op amps in for the full effect. From what I've already heard from the Tenor USB upgrades already, I expect to be suitably rewarded for my efforts.

Worth mentioning - this is my first experience with the Chinese tube and standard op amps as I ordered my D1 with the upgrades installed. The D1+ started out down around 5db from the D1 (with the OPA627s and WE2C51). After around 20 hours, it began to pick up and is maybe 2db down now. Should be interesting to see when and if that levels off. Also, the WE2C51 is a hotter tube on output, so it's not surprising the 6N3 is having trouble keeping up.

PS ... anyone out there contemplating the TubeMagic or similar tube DAC, DO consider some tube swapping. Very important and noticable differences in performance and output from tube to tube. Don't ask me how I know ... <G>

Yes ... I know ... I have a problem. ;-}

In the case of the current Chinese 6N3, it's got a very respectable sound (if a bit thin in the mid bass compared to my premium tubes), but there is a bit of ringing in the high registers with a hard load. That's a fairly common complaint with this tube. The ringing does tend to calm as the tube breaks in and gets some miles on it. The JW, 5 Star, and other such "military grade" tubes don't have the problem as they've got major reinforcement in their design to eliminate resonance and noise. More micas, improved damping, heavier components, better wire, etc ...

OK ... I promised pics ...

The original D1:

<< High res pic HERE >>

The new D1 Plus Edition:

<< High res pic HERE >>

Lots more changes inside the box than outside, which is why the D1 is NOT upgradable. Full redesign on the USB section of course, and there's a whole lotta tweaking in the pre section also. Major change in the addition of a third op amp that I'd think offloads common functions and timing from the channel specific op amps to improve isolation and allow those to concentrate more on the detail. Power looks about the same. LOTS of surface mounting replacements for what were once conventional components, so probably less attractive to the tinkers amongst us. Some value changes on common components, I expect based on real world performance and user feedback. Some position swapping about on the board  Example: relays for soft switching relocated to the back of the main board instead of on the control daughter board. This seems to have calmed the POP when changing inputs on the fly - I'll still turn speakers off before doing that as it's more or less habit now, and I'm running low on fuses for my tweeters. Also, major streamlining in the signal path with the elimination of the BYPASS switch AND volume control in the DAC signal path. The volume knob is strictly for the headphone jack as shipped, but I'm told there is a way to add the volume control back for the DAC with a couple wire swaps if necessary. I always ran mine on bypass anyway, so doesn't affect me at all.

The case is identical except for the faceplate, which is a good think for a habitual tweaker like me. The cover has always been a PITA to remove, and if anything the one on the D1+ is even tighter. I ended up cutting the bottom flange off the cover on my D1, and it slaps right on the D1+ ... joy!

Here's a potential deal killer for many ... they moved the print on the selector dial closer to the knob. Oh noooooooOOOOOoooos ... :D

Anyway ... I'm going for longest post of the day here ... what do I win??

PS ... anyone with a D2, feel free to post up pics for comparison ...

I have the original D1 with upgraded tube (GE?) for 2 years, thinking to upgrade opamp to OPA627 as well.
How to change these opamps, is this plug and play or need soldering work?

From picture above I saw only 2 opamp for D1 need to be replaced bt OPA627, please correct me.

rgds

Apr 29, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #2,569 of 2,660
Oh, I forgot to say it here, I finally got an HD650 to pair with my old D1!!!

Apr 29, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #2,570 of 2,660
I have the original D1 with upgraded tube (GE?) for 2 years, thinking to upgrade opamp to OPA627 as well.
How to change these opamps, is this plug and play or need soldering work?

From picture above I saw only 2 opamp for D1 need to be replaced bt OPA627, please correct me.

Bit more complicated than it looks. For one, you're replacing TWO original op amps with FOUR OPA627's using a BrownDog adapter. Here you can see one OPA627 mounted on top, and what you can't see is another below. It's hidden by the extension pins. You need those so the bottom op amp clears the socket. The chips are surface mount too, so you need good eyes and a steady hand to put it all together.

Fear not! You can get the upgrade components direct from Maverick, for not much more than you'd pay for the individual parts. The board's already socketed, so once you get the new ones, pop 'n drop ... carefully of course ... you'll be pleased with the results!

I saved some money when I got the D1+ by ordering it without the upgrades. Just swapped the ones from the D1 in ... I should probably sell that one of these days, but it's nice to have a backup handy.

Apr 30, 2014 at 4:17 AM Post #2,571 of 2,660
sKIZo,
Thanks for information, I will contact Ryan for new opams.
I wish somebody has video and uploaded to Youtube...How to changes D1/D2 opams...:)

rgrds

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:18 AM Post #2,572 of 2,660
sKiZo,

I agree that building your own OpAmp upgrade with surface mount chips can be difficult for some, but there are ready made "brown dog" upgrades already available on eBay that would make the work easier. I have WAY too many irons in the fire to currently try in the near term, but I certainly have a future plan to try the OPA637 upgrades at some point. I hear there is not a tremendous variation from the OPA627, but I heard the same about power cables.....and my Volex 17604 power cord upgrades ranks right up there with any other changes I've made in my system.

But as always your mileage may vary, I guess that's why this is such a personal passion for us....finding that which brings us the greatest joy.

Apr 30, 2014 at 8:42 AM Post #2,573 of 2,660
Guys,
I checked in ebay, found dual OP627 for $7.5/pcs, compare to pict in maverick site..its look similiar.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pieces-Dual-to-Mono-OPA627AU-OPA627-FREE-SHIPPING-/120763718688?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c1e141c20#ht_582wt_1124

Do I need browndog to install into existing socket?

Apr 30, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #2,574 of 2,660
Jazzwave,

The "tiny PCBs" that you see the OpAmps double sided mounted to, ARE know as Brown Dogs. They have the OpAmps already mounted on them, and they are direct plug in replacements for the components in the socket. We see them most commonly for Burr Brown OPA627s or OPA637s, though the also exist for Sonic Imagery and some others. Before purchasing them, I would verify that with the seller.....that they would be a drop in replacement for your OpAmp.

I did the same with the OPA637 "brown dogs" that I purchased, though as I mentioned I am some months off on trying them out. Does that help you out?

May 1, 2014 at 1:43 AM Post #2,575 of 2,660
Jazzwave,

The "tiny PCBs" that you see the OpAmps double sided mounted to, ARE know as Brown Dogs. They have the OpAmps already mounted on them, and they are direct plug in replacements for the components in the socket. We see them most commonly for Burr Brown OPA627s or OPA637s, though the also exist for Sonic Imagery and some others. Before purchasing them, I would verify that with the seller.....that they would be a drop in replacement for your OpAmp.

I did the same with the OPA637 "brown dogs" that I purchased, though as I mentioned I am some months off on trying them out. Does that help you out?

VTHokie83,
Thanks for clarification, I decided to buy from Maverick 15$ more expensive than eBay but hasbeen tested on D1.
I will update the thread when OPA627 installed.

It looks ,re-opamps will be fun like tube rolling or re-caps.
Wish list: Try OPA637, AD825 if replacement doesn't need modification.

~ron~

May 1, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #2,576 of 2,660

Jazzwave,

That is part of my love of the Maverick D1/D2 lineup, eazy eazy access to replace to the tubes for rolling.....and to the OpAmps for upgrading. And some of the "Brown Dog" manufacturers are very good resources for other possible OpAmp updrades.....and they'd be only too happy to build some for you (D2 needs 3 "Brown Dogs" while the D1 needs 2)

I found a great link regarding some OpAmp upgrades, I will find it and share it here.....it is very good from a technical standpoint, but has some good material to peruse.

May 16, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #2,577 of 2,660
Guys,
I'm back for update..:)
I received OPA627s from Maverick, tonite i have chance to replace my old chip to OPA627s.
The replacement process quite easy,  just plug and play but make sure the position/orientation of chip,Ryan attached this information in the package.

How about the sound? OPA627s deliver more open and detail sound.Soundstage slightly wider than old chip.
Bass and midrange almost similiar with old chip,treble extended and not sharp...
Tested with Grado SR60i/Shure SE215(cans/iem) and SET 300B tube amp (line out)

Conclusion, OPA627s improve original D1 sound..no doubt,recommended.
Is this opamp match with your need? it's depend what your preference, if you need more bass, this opamp didn't add bass weight but more controlled.
For me who love jazz music,OPA627s fullfill my need.

But this is audiophile world, ....the rolling adventure will be continued..:)

May 16, 2014 at 2:28 AM Post #2,578 of 2,660
Jazzwave,

Thank you for your update, it is nice to see a thread such as this that is kept "alive" with updated information. Your post inspired me to put aside the "tube rolling" in my Latino VTA ST-120, and go back to my Maverick D2 DAC for a moment. I know this is a D1 thread, but the tube and OpAmp rolling information is somewhat universal.

I reversed my OpAmps back to the original Burr Brown OPA 2604s, and ran through a sampling of my music.....obviously the notes are with prior knowledge of the OPA627s performance. Listening was done only with Sennheiser HD558 headphones through a Schiit Magni headphone amp.

Sound stage - Slightly compressed and narrow, sound was more "pinpoint" and not open
Sound delivery - Treble more "shrill" and fatiguing, definitely brighter. Midrange delivery slightly more closed and less tight. Bass no noticed changed.
Sound impact - Less impact across the entire spectrum, partly due to the fact that I ran at a slightly lower volume since the treble was more fatiguing....punch was not there the same as with the OPA627s.
Detail - Very noticeable difference here, vocals and higher end more "closed" and less crisp.....OPA627s much more detailed
Overall impression - To my ear and with my gear the OPA627s are the only way to go, not even a question over the original OpAmps

May 17, 2014 at 8:17 AM Post #2,579 of 2,660
VTHokie83,

Sure, I will share my D1 upgrade story to forum,
Anyone has good result with other opamp ie:  OP637 or AD825 in D1/D2, please let me know. 

~ron~

May 17, 2014 at 9:08 AM Post #2,580 of 2,660
Jazzwave I have the OPA637 brown dogs, but I have not tried them yet.....hope to in the next couple of weeks, and I'll report back then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back