Maverick Audio DAC/Amp
Apr 21, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #1,426 of 2,660
You bought one from a shop? I wasn't aware that the Maverick units were available in retail. Well I do know that Ryan has lowered the output gain a bit in the newer units. You could e-mail Ryan with the serial # to verify this. If you're ok with the volume output, I don't think there's a problem.

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:38 AM Post #1,427 of 2,660
yeah I got it from a retail shop.

The shop owner told me that the output has been reduced (hence the hissing/graining is gone). It is working fine now and the quality is good (although I don't have any basis for comparison)

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #1,428 of 2,660
Hmm, that's pretty cool. Well, no worries then
smily_headphones1.gif
Just curious, the first 4 digits of your units serial are 2010 right?

Apr 27, 2010 at 8:58 AM Post #1,430 of 2,660
My Maverick, after 3 months of working ok, started yesterday to make this quite loud noise/sizzling when there's no input to any of the inputs. Both line output and tube output make the same noise regardless what input is selected from input selector. As soon as for example optical input starts to send data (the optical input is chosen from the input selector) the noise reduces significantly but it never goes completely away. Noise does not reduce/go away either if I unplug all cords but power and line out cords. I also tried to change both the op-amps and the tube to new, but it did not fix the problem. It seems that there is some kind of hardware malfunction.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #1,431 of 2,660
My left RCA preout used to sound significantly quieter than my right. As of recently there is now no sound coming out of the left tube preout at all. I've contacted Ryan and I'm awaiting further information. Any RCA cable going to the left RCA preout has a very loose to non existent fit. I sure hope this is an issue I can fix myself.

Apr 27, 2010 at 11:16 PM Post #1,432 of 2,660
I just got mine yesterday, I changed the tube immediately to a NOS JAN 5670W. Overall I like the sound straight out of the amp, but I use it primarily as a DAC and then connect it to my EF2A. The most noticeable thing so far is an increase in bass. The quality of bass, and even more "punch" to it. My ultrasones however sound better out of the d1 then the ef2a, YMMV.

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:05 AM Post #1,433 of 2,660
I don't want to read the entire thread, but does anyone know what the internals of the D1 are?

Also, if I use the D1's headphone out, I won't be using the tube part, right? The tube is used only in the tube pre-amp output, if I'm understanding it correctly.

Finally, would you guys recommend this over the EF2A or the Audinst HUD MX-1? They are all about $20 within each other's price. Thanks.

Apr 28, 2010 at 1:17 AM Post #1,434 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Raguvian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't want to read the entire thread, but does anyone know what the internals of the D1 are?

Also, if I use the D1's headphone out, I won't be using the tube part, right? The tube is used only in the tube pre-amp output, if I'm understanding it correctly.

Finally, would you guys recommend this over the EF2A or the Audinst HUD MX-1? They are all about $20 within each other's price. Thanks.

The tube component in the D1 is only for the tube pre-out. The headphone out is SS only. Im not sure about the Audinst, however I can comment on the EF2A and the D1 as I own both. Both are great products however I like the DAC portion of the D1 a lot better, but I like the amp of the EF2A better. I just enjoy the tube sound more, but YMMV. I don't know how helpful that information is to you, but between the two there is no real losing pick.
bigsmile_face.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 2:49 AM Post #1,435 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gubretti /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The tube component in the D1 is only for the tube pre-out. The headphone out is SS only. Im not sure about the Audinst, however I can comment on the EF2A and the D1 as I own both. Both are great products however I like the DAC portion of the D1 a lot better, but I like the amp of the EF2A better. I just enjoy the tube sound more, but YMMV. I don't know how helpful that information is to you, but between the two there is no real losing pick.
bigsmile_face.gif

Good to know, thanks!

I think I'll go with the D1 on looks alone then. It looks beautiful.
biggrin.gif

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:40 PM Post #1,436 of 2,660
Hey guys, I made a little mess while modding my D1 and need your help real quick. See the two red wires (twisted pair) encircled in the below picture? These wires, which come from the transformer and are soldered to two separate holes on the board, were accidentally broken due to a lot of twisting and turning as I replaced many capacitors on the board (silly me, I did not unsolder the wires first).
redface.gif
I want to solder them back to the board but the problem is, I can see the two holes where the wires should be soldered but I don't know which wire should go into which hole. Does it matter which wire goes into which hole? I'm guessing that it doesn't matter -- the two red wires can probably be reversed because they are of the same color. But I want to be sure beyond any doubt, hence my question. So could someone please let me know if it really matters which wire goes into which hole?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #1,437 of 2,660
my d1 do not hav red wire from transformer
frown.gif
looks like some changes
made to recent batch of d1. I suspect these voltage
from transformer were ac. U can try measure the 2 red wire that disjoin and see if they are ac. Best person to answer urquestion will be Ryan. Try give him an service email at his website.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mtl777 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, I made a little mess while modding my D1 and need your help real quick. See the two red wires (twisted pair) encircled in the below picture? These wires, which come from the transformer and are soldered to two separate holes on the board, were accidentally broken due to a lot of twisting and turning as I replaced many capacitors on the board (silly me, I did not unsolder the wires first).
redface.gif
I want to solder them back to the board but the problem is, I can see the two holes where the wires should be soldered but I don't know which wire should go into which hole. Does it matter which wire goes into which hole? I'm guessing that it doesn't matter -- the two red wires can probably be reversed because they are of the same color. But I want to be sure beyond any doubt, hence my question. So could someone please let me know if it really matters which wire goes into which hole?

Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #1,438 of 2,660
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mavwong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
my d1 do not hav red wire from transformer
frown.gif
looks like some changes
made to recent batch of d1. I suspect these voltage
from transformer were ac. U can try measure the 2 red wire that disjoin and see if they are ac. Best person to answer urquestion will be Ryan. Try give him an service email at his website.

Thanks! I looked at the traces and they're leading to the AC inputs of a W06 bridge rectifier. So the wires are carrying AC then. Also, Ryan just replied and confirmed that they're AC and it doesn't matter which hole the wires connect to. So I'm good to go!
beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back