Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - a Singxer SU-1 killer?
Dec 22, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #196 of 306
Just got quick response from Matrix Audio:
"No matter where the position you turned MCLK to "ON" or "OFF", it has no effect for the X-Sabre (1st gen) DAC, as this DAC is only an asynchronous mode. "

X-Spdif2 sounds amazing in my system, with its low noice floor, I can easily hear more details, decay is more apparent, more analog sounding, loving it.
Acquired a used iFi Power 9V, test X-SPDIF2 with or without iFi power for two weeks. The difference is not night and day, but I can still hear the improvement with iFi Power. With iFi power, sounds punchier, more bite and grip, I am happy with it.

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #197 of 306
Most people said USB power is very noisy, I just experienced one. My A2 amp usually is very quite, I found some noise last night when I turned the volume all the way up to max, of course no playback, there is some low level current hiss. Then I tried another amp Icon audio HP8mk2, the noise was even more apprent when the volume only hit to 3 clock. Checked all connection,then I found the iFi Power is not plugged to X-SPDIF2, after I plugged iFi power again, the current hiss was gone.

Dec 23, 2020 at 2:30 AM Post #198 of 306
Most people said USB power is very noisy, I just experienced one. My A2 amp usually is very quite, I found some noise last night when I turned the volume all the way up to max, of course no playback, there is some low level current hiss. Then I tried another amp Icon audio HP8mk2, the noise was even more apprent when the volume only hit to 3 clock. Checked all connection,then I found the iFi Power is not plugged to X-SPDIF2, after I plugged iFi power again, the current hiss was gone.
You also need to check the connection to the DAC, when I have USB connected from PC and AES connected from X-SPDIF2, the current noise is still there even iFi Power is plugged, USB power is really devil.

Feb 5, 2021 at 1:04 PM Post #200 of 306
Does this thing provide better audio quality by using optical or coax out to a dac?
I didn't try coax and optical, AES is certainly a sonic improvement, the sound is more focus.

Feb 6, 2021 at 2:52 AM Post #202 of 306
But I can't out AES into my dac unfortunately, right now can only use optical, coax, bnc I on my dac.
Mind if you try thr optical? Does it smooth out the sound?
Sorry dude, my dac has no optical input and I have no digital coax cable neither.

Feb 14, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #204 of 306
Has anyone noticed any issues with the power socket, it seems I need to rotate my power supply lead a certain way in order for a connection to be made?
I’ve tried with 2 different power cables and they both need to be micro adjusted before it will register the power.
On another point, I have a linear power supply output at 9v. When I measure the output, from the psu, when it’s under load, it’s showing about 4.5v, is this normal ?

Feb 24, 2021 at 3:32 AM Post #205 of 306
Mine x spidif is out for warranty repair... The optical out stopped working.
Need something while I wait. You guys recommend any USB to Optical converter? I don't need features just a simple clean, competent converter

Feb 25, 2021 at 10:34 PM Post #206 of 306
Is this just a way to convert digital usb audio out from a computer to optical for inputting into your DAC?

That is, even with usb and optical available, on nicer DACs, some people prefer using this method for optical since it introduces less junk noise from usb and computer grounding, etc., right?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2021 at 10:38 PM Post #207 of 306
Is this just a way to convert digital usb from a computer and convert it to optical for inputting into your DAC?

That is, even with usb and optical available, on nicer DACs, some people prefer using this method for optical since it introduces less junk noise from usb and computer grounding, etc., right?

Thanks!
I thought it sure helped than direct pc to dac via optical (tried it with a pc that had optical out)

The difference is minor and subtle and likely only audiable with higher end finer gear.

Also you can power it via LPS

May 29, 2021 at 3:29 AM Post #208 of 306
Has anyone noticed any issues with the power socket, it seems I need to rotate my power supply lead a certain way in order for a connection to be made?
I’ve tried with 2 different power cables and they both need to be micro adjusted before it will register the power.
On another point, I have a linear power supply output at 9v. When I measure the output, from the psu, when it’s under load, it’s showing about 4.5v, is this normal ?
Is anyone able to help me with this, I sent my unit back and a service company on behalf of manufacturer says they can’t find a fault. But with two different power supplies, the matrix is sensitive to what rotational angle the power barrel is inserted.
Initially, it’s like the matrix is not receiving the power, until the barrel is rotated.
Then it’s all so complicated. I have covered the usb power rail as the device should not take usb power, but the service people are saying - don’t do that, it could confuse the device, but isn’t that an actual stated feature, that you can use an unpowered usb cable with an external power supply..,

May 30, 2021 at 3:38 AM Post #209 of 306
Is anyone able to help me with this, I sent my unit back and a service company on behalf of manufacturer says they can’t find a fault. But with two different power supplies, the matrix is sensitive to what rotational angle the power barrel is inserted.
Initially, it’s like the matrix is not receiving the power, until the barrel is rotated.
Then it’s all so complicated. I have covered the usb power rail as the device should not take usb power, but the service people are saying - don’t do that, it could confuse the device, but isn’t that an actual stated feature, that you can use an unpowered usb cable with an external power supply..,
Maybe it is for USB handshake with other devices?

May 30, 2021 at 3:42 AM Post #210 of 306
Maybe it is for USB handshake with other devices?
Maybe, but then how do devices that are connected with unpowered usb cables perform usb handshakes ?
I presume the device is active and will only handshake when it’s receiving external power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back