Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - a Singxer SU-1 killer?
Nov 18, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #31 of 306
I've got a Ghent DC cable coming to go between Uptone LPS-1 and Matrix X-SPDIF 2. I doubt it will provide any audible benefit over the stock one that comes with the LPS-1 but it isn't costing much to try.

The Ghent DC cables provided a nice sense of ease and liquidity to the mids. But they tend to be abit stiff so perhaps the angle DC connector option is more suitable.

Does anyone know if there is any firmware update to the x-spdif2? Matrix seems very shy of releasing such information.

Nov 18, 2017 at 11:22 PM Post #32 of 306
The X-SPDIF 2 is already using the latest Xmos firmware. There have been no reported issues or bugs. If an update does become available I'll post info on this thread. :)

Nov 20, 2017 at 8:06 AM Post #33 of 306
The Ghent DC cables provided a nice sense of ease and liquidity to the mids. But they tend to be abit stiff so perhaps the angle DC connector option is more suitable.

Thanks, it arrived today but the room is out of action for painting at the moment so I won't get things warmed up and ready for a good listen for a week or two. I ordered it at 0.5m, a bit longer than I need, as the picture on the website looked like the cable may be somewhat stiff.

Jan 12, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #37 of 306
I have a Holo Audio Cyan incoming and thinking about picking up one of these rather than SU-1, which I have owned and liked in the past.

Safe to use my 9V iFi iPower or no real benefit? Would be fun to see if this thing would benefit my iDSD micro BL. Coaxial vs USB input. The BL sounds so good even just USB.

Jan 12, 2018 at 3:49 PM Post #39 of 306
Good to know. Ordered. I’ll be using from laptop to Matrix to DAC. For now, no LPS or upstream powered galvanic isolation. Looking at the manual, it does look like we can use our smartphones or tablets as sources and in that case we would need some power supply. Probably wouldn't be my normal usage, thought at times with iDSD BL it can be convenient to use a non-laptop source. That would only be useful if iDSD coaxial input is significantly better sounding than USB, which I do plan on trying out.

I wouldn't bother with the iPower - Matrix really did an excellent job on the design, so I doubt it would matter.

Jan 29, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #41 of 306
I'm currently thinking of replacing my Singxer F-1 with Matrix X-SPDIF2. Has anyone tried it with Marantz HD-DAC1? If you have, how was the sound quality (especially compared to F-1)?

Last edited:
Jan 29, 2018 at 6:25 PM Post #42 of 306
If you're thinking about picking up one of these, I am very happy with the Matrix X-SPDIF 2. I upgraded to it earlier this year after enjoying the original X-SPDIF for quite a while, and it turned out to be an awesome purchase.

Note: One thing I noticed is that it sometimes doesn't come back after the Mac has been asleep -- so I've found myself unplugging it and plugging it back in if it's in a coma. A minor nit, but otherwise, it's been flawless.

BTW, if anyone is looking for the original X-SPDIF for a good price, let me know -- I'm not going back!

I too have noticed that it doesn't come back after my Pc Laptop has been shut down or asleep - not some times... It must always be unplugged and then plugged back in to get the green light to come on...
But I will say that my yggy immediately clicks and locks on to the Matrix as soon as laptop power comes on usb port .. but no green light on matrix and Jriver gives some kinda error message when I try to play files.. Until I unplugg and plug back in..
Its kinda like the usb port gives power before the drivers actually lock on or kick in to the matrix putting into like the other poster said some kinda coma or standy by mode.
Other than this little hiccup the unit is flawless..

I am thinking about putting a USB On/Off switch in line prior top the matrix to avoid physically unplugging and plugging back in..

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2018 at 4:44 AM Post #43 of 306
I too have noticed that it doesn't come back after my Pc Laptop has been shut down or asleep - not some times... It must always be unplugged and then plugged back in to get the green light to come on...
But I will say that my yggy immediately clicks and locks on to the Matrix as soon as laptop power comes on usb port .. but no green light on matrix and Jriver gives some kinda error message when I try to play files.. Until I unplugg and plug back in..
Its kinda like the usb port gives power before the drivers actually lock on or kick in to the matrix putting into like the other poster said some kinda coma or standy by mode.
Other than this little hiccup the unit is flawless..

I am thinking about putting a USB On/Off switch in line prior top the matrix to avoid physically unplugging and plugging back in..
Did you disable the USB Selective Suspend feature on advance power option?

Jan 30, 2018 at 5:52 PM Post #44 of 306
Did you disable the USB Selective Suspend feature on advance power option?

Thank you for the tip - I have now.
It works only if I put the laptop to sleep... The green light turns on upon awakening the machine...
It does not work if the laptop is completely shut down and turned back on ... a cable pull and plug is required again..

A little off topic but while the laptop is put to sleep, power remains on in the usb port (even before your trick) which essentially keeps the matrix powered up and giving some thing for my Dac to stay locked onto. More lights turned on vs just one indicating power.

Now I do keep my Dac on always but prefer for it not to stay locked onto a signal while I am not using for days...

I notice it runs warmer while locked onto a signal vs just being powered up... Call me crazy but for longevity sake I'd prefer to not have it locked onto a signal for days or some times weeks while not actually in use..

I am looking at a switch like this on amazon.ca but at present its not available.. FYI - Dot ca is for canada .
This should fix all my issues.
I would also assume that if I got the linear power supply down the road it too would need to be switched off or unplugged to avoid this issue.

318V9npU+iL.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 2, 2018 at 4:24 AM Post #45 of 306
Thank you for the tip - I have now.
It works only if I put the laptop to sleep... The green light turns on upon awakening the machine...
It does not work if the laptop is completely shut down and turned back on ... a cable pull and plug is required again..

A little off topic but while the laptop is put to sleep, power remains on in the usb port (even before your trick) which essentially keeps the matrix powered up and giving some thing for my Dac to stay locked onto. More lights turned on vs just one indicating power.

Now I do keep my Dac on always but prefer for it not to stay locked onto a signal while I am not using for days...

I notice it runs warmer while locked onto a signal vs just being powered up... Call me crazy but for longevity sake I'd prefer to not have it locked onto a signal for days or some times weeks while not actually in use..

I am looking at a switch like this on amazon.ca but at present its not available.. FYI - Dot ca is for canada .
This should fix all my issues.
I would also assume that if I got the linear power supply down the road it too would need to be switched off or unplugged to avoid this issue.

try another USB port (may be you already did), or use external USB hub.....
or did you enable USB in Bios? like enable USB controller, or USB legacy support etc

For linear power supply for X-spdif 2, I don't know it is necessary or not as Matrix already implement ultra low noise power module for the DC input, but i diy LT3042 power module for it and set voltage output to DC8V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back