Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - a Singxer SU-1 killer?
Oct 9, 2018 at 5:01 AM Post #121 of 306
I am using the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 IIS output into an Audio-gd Master 11. However I am able to go up to only 192k sampling rate while supposedly 384k may be possible.

I am already using a 0.3m 18 Gbps HDMI cable.

I would appreciate all ideas and suggestions as to what I can do further to try to achieve the 384k sample rate.

Oct 13, 2018 at 10:12 PM Post #122 of 306
Hi,

Having hifimediy uh1, smsl x-usb and diyinhk pro3z xmos216 and the latter is significantly superior in details and transparency with usb in and both optical and coaxial outputs.

Anyone here had tried pro3z that is on loan and to be returned to its owner as compared with matrix spdif2 on details and transparency ?

Thanks !

Richard

Oct 14, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #123 of 306
Hi,

Ordered last nite at usd375 with free shipping and Matrix-digi.com just send me fedex tracking # this morning for arrival on 18 Oct 10pm and not later.

Was looking at several ebay sellers also with free shipping but same usd375 with shipping arrival of end Nov to early Dec and wonder how to can compete.

Just sharing on preferred direct buying from matrix-digi.com for their products and that it will be earlier then previously mentioned 2-3 weeks for initial feedback on subjective SQ by ear with pro3z in my car audio set up which I hope help others on just spdif bridge application .. will burn in at least 24 hrs upon receipt.

Cheers.

Richard

Oct 15, 2018 at 4:00 PM Post #124 of 306
richardloh you made a good decision since any Matrix gear purchased on eBay in North America does not come with a warranty and support. We have had a really hard time keeping these sellers off eBay, they just keep making new accounts.

Oct 19, 2018 at 2:48 PM Post #125 of 306
Hi All,

Received the matrix spdif2 just 6-7 hours ago ....

Suffice to say it will stay and will NOT be ordering ... the pro3z ... when its owner needs it back while noting that this matrix spdif2 is brand new with possible some improvement after next 1 week+ of 24/7 burn in when I am off to Suzhou, China, for biz trip.

Matrix spdif2 is as detailed as pro3z but background is darker with resulting deeper and wider sound stage .. just more musical while arguably a very minute shade in loss of dynamic. This despite matrix spdif2 is using older XU208 compared to XU216 ... not that I know impact of these XMOS versions on sound quality but guess it is implementation especially 8x the size in volume and housed in solid cnc aluminium block.

Pro3z is great for its usd216 price with great sound but matrix spdif at usd379 is just betta on its musicality and darker background that make you play the system louder and louder as well with future proof i2s .. hence my recommendation to go for matrix spdif2.

Looking like I am done with usb-spdif in my car audio system and hope burn-in brings about more improvement of the matrix spdif2 especially to have it more dynamic.

Btw, I have the matrix spdif running into the D50 via toslink to "burn it" or at least ensure no DOA and while it means no more dsd playback, details of music in mp3, flac, wav etc. is noticably much much betta in a desktop yamaha stereo player via analog line-in from the Topping D50 recommended by Amirm at nice audioscience.com ... the usb interface of D50 is just not the same as Matrix spdif2 else more in the chain should deteriorates SQ instead logically.

Hope this helps members and any guest here but make no mistake ... usb-spdif converter are not made equally.

Cheers,

Richard

Last edited:
Oct 20, 2018 at 11:29 AM Post #126 of 306
Thanks for those impressions.

It's fascinating to me how price doesn't necessarily have anything to do with performance in this space.... I mean, that's true elsewhere at times (speakers, headphones, DACs, etc) but imho more true than anywhere else when it comes to USB to SPDIF devices. The Singxer and the Matrix are superb, and very affordable. I'm also a fan of some others like Mutec and Audiobyte, but it's hard to recommend them at several times the price and no improvement.

Oct 29, 2018 at 2:05 PM Post #127 of 306
Ive had thd matrix xspdif for a good month now and my setup is macbook pro > usb > matrix xspdif 2 > aes > yggy > rag or mj2 > ether flow

Ive recently purchased an ifi ipower 9v and im not certain yet if its just my imagination or maybe because the yggy is getting warmed up to its potential peak but the SQ of my system seems clearer (safe to say night and day), faster and accurate. Pearl Jams Vs album (remastered) seems like Eddie Vedder vocals is huskier and angrier.

Summary im happy with my purhase of the matrix xspdif 2, I feel I’m getting more from my setup because of it.

Jan 12, 2019 at 3:21 AM Post #128 of 306
I am using the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 IIS output into an Audio-gd Master 11. However I am able to go up to only 192k sampling rate while supposedly 384k may be possible.

I am already using a 0.3m 18 Gbps HDMI cable.

I would appreciate all ideas and suggestions as to what I can do further to try to achieve the 384k sample rate.
What settings are you using in the X-SPDIF? I've an audio-gd R2R-1 and couldn't make it work.

Jul 15, 2019 at 12:34 AM Post #130 of 306
Have any of you tried using a USB 3.0 cable into the xspdif2? I'm very curious about it. I've had good SQ benefit from using a USB 3.0 cable into an iPurifier2 going into my DAC and wondering if the 3.0 cable straight into the xspdif has any difference.

Jul 18, 2019 at 1:42 AM Post #131 of 306
Interesting I never tried a USB 3.0 cable with the X-SPDIF 2. The one advantage with a USB 3.0 cable is larger gauge wire and better shielding. So even though it only uses USB 2.0 a better cable could help.

Jul 26, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #132 of 306
I wonder if matrix audio will ever make a updated x spdif with NDK NZ2520SDA clocks, they seem to measure better than the already good NDK NZ2520SD which reaches average 105-110dbc/10hz phase noise compared to the Accusilicon 100dbc/10hz, their also cheaper than both Crystek/Accusilicon.

I can always mod in the NDK clocks via adapters though but it's a pain to do as they are so small...

Aug 15, 2019 at 12:02 PM Post #133 of 306
Hi! My Matrix-x is connected via the ifi Gemini 3.0 and to an ifi Micro iUSB, before that i used the old ifi Gemini 2.0 and the 3.0 brings clear benefits (better resolution and imaging…) so i decided to have a complete usb 3.0 chain in front of the Matrix, which has officially no real usb 3.0 (only the plug), but i am satisfied with the results.

Would be nice if the next generation of this device had real usb 3.0 and the possibility to connect to an external clock…

greetings, marc

Aug 17, 2019 at 8:41 AM Post #135 of 306
USB 3.0 has zero benefits in usable throughput, USB 2.0 high-speed can already do DSD1024.

Only iFi is pushing (unnecessary) 3.0 so tough luck. Won't happen any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back