Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - a Singxer SU-1 killer?
Aug 21, 2018 at 10:36 PM Post #108 of 306
Oh I thought the Matrix can do native DSD 256, no?

Only if using I2S. Which people definitely should use if pairing it with the X-Sabre Pro. The limitation I referred to has to do with using coaxial or AES out, which is limited to DSD64.

EDIT, someone beat me to it.

Aug 21, 2018 at 10:39 PM Post #109 of 306
That's a huge deal in my opinion. The Singxer SU-1 can't do DSD512 along with any other DDC. I just wish I could test them side by side before I buy. No options locally for me.

What are you using as a source? PC? Mac? Linux? I ask because sometimes the higher rates can only be achieved with certain drivers. My music servers running Linux usually only go to DSD128 or DSD256, despite the device in question being able to go higher under other circumstances.

Are you planning on upsampling with Roon or HQPlayer? I assume so as there is not really any native DSD512 outside a few demo tracks. Hopefully your system is powerful enough.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2018 at 10:58 PM Post #110 of 306
What are you using as a source? PC? Mac? Linux? I ask because sometimes the higher rates can only be achieved with certain drivers. My music servers running Linux usually only go to DSD128 or DSD256, despite the device in question being able to go higher under other circumstances.

Are you planning on upsampling with Roon or HQPlayer? I assume so as there is not really any native DSD512 outside a few demo tracks. Hopefully your system is powerful enough.
I switch between a Windows PC and a RoPieee Roon Bridge with a Smallgreen i5. Works nicely. I have a very powerful PC. I upsample some of my music to DSD512 with XiSRC. Makes a noticeable difference in sound.

Aug 22, 2018 at 12:52 AM Post #113 of 306
I have never listened to DSD512 but it appears my DAC can’t handle 512 well, not many can. LAmpizazor DSD can do if specifically ask for that, but costs >$4000
Matrix X-Sabre Pro can do DSD512 and DSD1024. I just picked up a used one for $1000. It sounds amazeballs too. Puts all of the other DACs I've used / owned to shame.

Aug 22, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #116 of 306
Matrix X-Sabre Pro can do DSD512 and DSD1024. I just picked up a used one for $1000. It sounds amazeballs too. Puts all of the other DACs I've used / owned to shame.

Then you need to try lks004 dual es9038pro :D

Anyways, I need to find a good ddc that has i2s out with the latest Xmos216 and dsd1024....they are not out yet X_X

Aug 22, 2018 at 11:12 PM Post #119 of 306
How does the LKS compare to the X-Sabre Pro?

I personally prefer the X-Sabre Pro to the LKS. Even though the LKS seems to have excellent design choices everywhere I look, the resulting sound somehow leaves me a bit cold. Reminds me a lot of my Calyx Femto which is more expensive and very imposing in appearance but not completely satisfying in terms of sonics.

Actually now that I think about it, the LKS 004 sounds very very similar to the Calyx - which could be considered a compliment considering their respective prices. It's just not my favorite sound signature.

Aug 23, 2018 at 12:57 AM Post #120 of 306
I personally prefer the X-Sabre Pro to the LKS. Even though the LKS seems to have excellent design choices everywhere I look, the resulting sound somehow leaves me a bit cold. Reminds me a lot of my Calyx Femto which is more expensive and very imposing in appearance but not completely satisfying in terms of sonics.

Actually now that I think about it, the LKS 004 sounds very very similar to the Calyx - which could be considered a compliment considering their respective prices. It's just not my favorite sound signature.

I didn't like the X-Sabre Pro when I first installed it in my system. I upgraded to the newest firmware and it has made a huge difference. It's the my new reference source. Very smooth and hyper detailed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back