Matrix X-SPDIF 2 - a Singxer SU-1 killer?
Aug 18, 2019 at 12:10 AM Post #136 of 306
Aug 18, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #139 of 306
USB 3.0 has zero benefits in usable throughput, USB 2.0 high-speed can already do DSD1024.

Only iFi is pushing (unnecessary) 3.0 so tough luck. Won't happen any time soon.

Hm, maybe i should try to make myself clear:

(1) When I said that there are benefits for changing to usb 3.0 in my setup like resolution, i didn‘t mean resolution in the sense of bitrate but in the sense of „hearing things that i didn’t hear before“ at the same bitrate in comparison to 2.0., so maybe it should be called the „total amount of sonic information“ that increases (i have no idea why, maybe is just the better power connection ..?)

(2) I don’t think that i internalized the ifi marketing blurb to a point where i placeboed myself into hearing it, but despite hating spending so much money on cables, everytime i replaced a 2.0 with a 3.0 cable in my chain, i thought „Wow – that sounds better!“ and than there is the question of how far this can go (for the same reason i replaced an intonia 2.0 by the igalvanic)

(3) At least for the holo spring it is best not to use the USB 3.0 but the i2s input option, so i don’t claim that you should go 3.0 all the way, but only up to a converter like the matrix-x and then change to i2s; i somehow feel that the matrix amplifies the (small?) differences between 2.0 and 3.0, especially when you use a good hdmi cable.

(4) Though 2.0 is still clearly dominant, for those who don’t want to go via ethernet, more USB 3.0 options arise even at the top end, so not only the holo springs have it, the new antelope amari has an 3.1 USB input.

Cheers,

Marc

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #141 of 306
I agree - you are right! :smile::smile::smile: Sometimes you just try to improve something step by step and end with a result that doesn't look as a rational goal to pursue as a whole when you look at it from a neutral distance. Maybe thats audiophiles life or audiofools ...:smile: Cheers!

Aug 18, 2019 at 4:26 PM Post #143 of 306
There may be good reason to stick with USB 2.0. @lmitche recently posted this link in an other forum:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...al-bus/usb3-frequency-interference-paper.html

I have a Chord DAVE for my DAC, and from other projects, I’ve learned that it is very sensitive to RF in the 2-2.5GHz range. To try and minimize RF noise, I use only 5GHz WiFi, and after reading the above paper, only USB 2.0 near my DAC

Thanks a lot - thats helpful! Going to keep wifi off when listining :)

Maybe the proper would be to get rid of this long chain and just buy hiend DAC :wink:

Well, that goes a little bit off-topic, I'm really satisfied with the Holo Spring which is the whole point of this long chain, if there will be an DAC upgrade in the future, it would also be a R2R DAC with i2s so that the chain can stay ( i subscribe to the "whats lost before can't be gained after"-principle)

Aug 29, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #145 of 306
Using the USB 2.0 or 3.0 protocol and using a USB 2.0 or 3.0 cable are two different things. The X-SPDIF 2 uses the USB 2.0 protocol regardless of the type of cable that it's connected with. It has a USB 3.0 connector on the back, but it is still only communicating using the USB 2.0 protocol.

The advantage of the USB 3.0 cable is heavier gauge wire and much better shielding. :)

Sep 12, 2019 at 9:41 PM Post #146 of 306
Using the USB 2.0 or 3.0 protocol and using a USB 2.0 or 3.0 cable are two different things. The X-SPDIF 2 uses the USB 2.0 protocol regardless of the type of cable that it's connected with. It has a USB 3.0 connector on the back, but it is still only communicating using the USB 2.0 protocol.

The advantage of the USB 3.0 cable is heavier gauge wire and much better shielding. :)
Now it comes with a shiiittty USB cable.

Sep 14, 2019 at 4:15 AM Post #147 of 306
A complimentary high quality cable was included as a gift when the X-SPDIF 2 was introduced. Like most audiophile gear today basic cables or no cables at all are included. Customers usually prefer buying and using their own premium cables.

Sep 14, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #148 of 306
A complimentary high quality cable was included as a gift when the X-SPDIF 2 was introduced. Like most audiophile gear today basic cables or no cables at all are included. Customers usually prefer buying and using their own premium cables.

It looks as though they still offer it with with the cable.. It was mentioned in the instructions that it was a "high quality " USB cable
Mine came with it.. I've never bothered to compare it to another cable as I was soo happy with the instant improvement I got once introduced into the chain and fed the yggdrasil .

Oct 17, 2019 at 6:51 PM Post #149 of 306
It looks as though they still offer it with with the cable.. It was mentioned in the instructions that it was a "high quality " USB cable
Mine came with it.. I've never bothered to compare it to another cable as I was soo happy with the instant improvement I got once introduced into the chain and fed the yggdrasil .
You will be surprised to the improvement of the SQ if you can upgrade it as well as use a decent hdmi cable. Trust your ears. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back