Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Sep 5, 2011 at 2:52 AM Post #812 of 1,055

Quote:
Direct as in dac mode and connect with external pre-amp??

Usually to drive my power amps but sometimes to drive my LD MKVII+ through balance connection.  The LD has it's own volume control and the Mini-i is a DAC but sometimes I max out the pot on the LD and use the Mini-i as a pre.  There is a small change in dynamics which I assume is due to the different voltage but it doesn't sound any cleaner or better.

Sep 5, 2011 at 4:00 PM Post #813 of 1,055
The only time I use the Mini-i's volume control is when I have a pair of headphones plugged into it.

Sep 11, 2011 at 6:27 AM Post #815 of 1,055
Have anyone used mini-i for more than 2 years?

I was considering between audinst mx1 and matrix mini. but i have found that alot of people having noise issue with audinx mx1 after 1 year or so. I am wandering if the same problem happens with matrix mini?

Can anyone give me a short comparison between mx1 and mini? (especially when used with 64 ohm headphone)

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:14 AM Post #816 of 1,055
I've been using my Mini-i for almost 2 years without issue.

Sep 11, 2011 at 3:44 PM Post #817 of 1,055

Quote:
Have anyone used mini-i for more than 2 years?

(especially when used with 64 ohm headphone)

Well, just checked and I posted in post #3 of this thread (08-26-09).  The only issues I have had (purchased right when it came out, so might have been taken care of) is the usb input.  Three of my PCs did not recognize it.  I use it with other inputs so no biggie and JTam did offer to look at it, but I decided against it, due to the shipping etc...

64ohm headphones will have no problems with the built-in headamp.

Sep 11, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #818 of 1,055
The Mini-i's 16/48 USB input is by far it's weakest link anyways, it's best to avoid it if possible like you are already doing.

Sep 11, 2011 at 7:27 PM Post #819 of 1,055

Quote:
The Mini-i's 16/48 USB input is by far it's weakest link anyways, it's best to avoid it if possible like you are already doing.

I'd agree it's it's weakest link but with the caveat that it's no worse than other similarly priced 16/48 usb DACs. I do a workaround for hi-res (from computer) with an older M-Audio Audiophile USB (ASIO out) to get 24/96.
A Hi-Face, or similar 24/192 DAC (or USB ->SP-DIF converter) with BNC out would be better, but I'm happy with the sound for now.

I've had mine for well over a year with no problems and think it's still one of the best deals out there. That extra 5% SQ can cost a small fortune so I've been doing more listening and less analyzing :wink:

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #820 of 1,055
I've just past the 2 yr mark like HeatFan and had the same USB problem in the beginning.  My problem solved itself though.  It was not recognized by my computers then all of a sudden it was all OK.  Just a windows issue I think and not the Mini-i.  Other than that no issues and that's running it everyday for the past two years.  Even when I was too busy to listen, I left the music playing anyway.  I mix things up once in awhile so the Mini-i has been DAC, pre-amp and HP amp at one time or another.  Very dependable unit.

Sep 11, 2011 at 8:59 PM Post #821 of 1,055
I'm not too worried about the USB 48k.  Most of my music is not hi res. and the few that are I really have to listen to hear a difference.  I truly enjoy the heck out of my music as it is so I don't think about 48k.

Sep 12, 2011 at 1:40 AM Post #822 of 1,055
Wow I just noticed that the usb is 48k ... that says that my uDac2 is probably better than mini-i 's DAC?

I am not familiar with AES/EBU, toslink ,SPDIF. What's is the cheapest way to get digital output from my PC to mini-i other than USB?

Sep 12, 2011 at 7:13 AM Post #823 of 1,055

Please foregive me for asking if you have allready done this elsewhere but can you can a brief comparison of the Mini-i and NFB-3?
Quote:
Well, just checked and I posted in post #3 of this thread (08-26-09).  The only issues I have had (purchased right when it came out, so might have been taken care of) is the usb input.  Three of my PCs did not recognize it.  I use it with other inputs so no biggie and JTam did offer to look at it, but I decided against it, due to the shipping etc...

64ohm headphones will have no problems with the built-in headamp.

Sep 12, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #824 of 1,055
THe 48k part is not the problem, there are some really kick@ss 44.1k DACs out there that are outstanding. The problem is that USB is the area that they chose to save $ on and it's cheap and dated, really just there for convenience more than anything. The thing I don't like about the USB receiver on the Mini-i is that it seems stuck on 48k, when I would prefer to have the choice of 44.1k as well.

But it's not really much of a problem because you can always get a USB to spdif converter, and the rest of the Mini-i's inputs will handle up to 24/192k.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back