Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Jul 29, 2011 at 1:00 AM Post #796 of 1,055

No, I had not, good sir. Feel free to call me an idiot, but that was the problem. Thank you very much!

There seems to be another problem though. For some reason, my laptop makes static sounds in between playing files. The best way to describe it is it sounds like there's short clipping noises as the tracks play. It transfers through to my DAC, and happens with every headphone I try. I think my laptop transfer may be broken or something?
Quote:
I take it that you have the digital output selected as system default?

Jul 29, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #797 of 1,055
That sounds like a software issue, either in Windows audio or your music player. Research Foobar 2000 and ASIO playback options.

Jul 29, 2011 at 2:44 AM Post #798 of 1,055

Quote:
That sounds like a software issue, either in Windows audio or your music player. Research Foobar 2000 and ASIO playback options.

Thank you so much for the help grokit. You're a legend. I managed to fix the problem by opening my laptop and adjusting its internal organs.. maybe my laptop just needed a restart, but yeah. all good now. thanks again for all the help! my ears also thank you :)

Sep 1, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #801 of 1,055
hi, im seriously looking into this DAC to replace my audio-gd compass... im wondering, the new version with the remote, is it possible to choose between fixed or variable output thru the remote?

Sep 1, 2011 at 5:53 PM Post #802 of 1,055

Quote:
hi, im seriously looking into this DAC to replace my audio-gd compass... im wondering, the new version with the remote, is it possible to choose between fixed or variable output thru the remote?

[size=medium]
No.. you must physically power down and push in the select button and then a menu comes up to select between variable or fixed line out.  This cannot be done from the remote.  You can download the manual online.
BTW.. love this dac/amp.
[/size]

Sep 1, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #803 of 1,055

Quote:

No.. you must physically power down and push in the select button and then a menu comes up to select between variable or fixed line out.  This cannot be done from the remote.  You can download the manual online.
BTW.. love this dac/amp.

thanks a bit let down for me though, the compass has a hardware implementation of the fixed (DAC out) and variable (pre-out)...
thinking of toggling between the two functions often, but yeah, it will not hurt if i do it manually =)

Sep 2, 2011 at 5:45 PM Post #804 of 1,055
After much dithering, I finally picked up one of these DACs. It's my first DAC so I'm a little nervous about certain things and hope I'm doing everything right. I have a question regarding input switching. I've got the DAC connected to a Marantz CD player using the SPDIF and to an Airport Express using Toslink and then I have it connected via unbalanced RCAs to a pair of powered Audioengine A5s. I usually keep the speakers turned up and control volume through the DAC and I've noticed that when I switch inputs on the DAC, a loud popping sound comes through the speakers. I suppose this is normal for this DAC (or other DACs? Not sure.) although I haven't heard many others complain about it (I remember reading one post about it but can't find it now). I got the speakers a couple of months ago and they were working fine but recently when I upgraded the speaker wire I noticed that the woofer on one of the speakers wasn't outputting any sound. I exchanged them for a new pair and now I'm wondering whether the loud pop blew the woofer on the old pair. Of course it could have just been an unrelated speaker issue (I had noticed that the volume control on the old pair was a little funky too so maybe they were just a bad pair) but just wanted to check in to the community to see if anyone else has any experience. Maybe to be safe I should always turn the speakers down before switching inputs? Too bad that slightly negates the usefulness of the remote for the DAC. Any advice/suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Sep 2, 2011 at 8:56 PM Post #805 of 1,055
Hello janitoronmars,

I don't hear a "pop" upon switching inputs, just a faint "click".  I have used all the inputs at one time or another.  What is your volume set on the A5s?  I exclusively use pre-amp outs to the A5s and seldom touch the volume control on the A5s.  Per Logan at Audioengine, he stated that the volume on the A5s should be set around 11 o'clock on the dial when used and controlled with a pre.  I asked him this when I first purchased and been using it in that fashion ever since.  I do get in the habit of turning down volume on amp/dacs when shutting down though.

I purchased my Matrix right when it came out and still going strong.

Currently running the RCA outs to a tube buffer to the A5s and the XLRs to the KRKs.  Nice sound indeed...

Cheers

Sep 3, 2011 at 5:18 PM Post #807 of 1,055
Thanks for the quick reply, HeatFan12. I was keeping the AudioEngines pumped pretty much all the way up but I'll instead follow your advice and keep them at about 11 o'clock. I'll email Audioengine since I'm curious about why they would recommend this particular volume level. I'm still getting pops when I change inputs but not just as loud because the volume is turned down. At least I'm less likely to do damage to the speakers this way. I'm also wondering whether the power that I'm getting (running through a surge protector) is perhaps the culprit. Anyway, I've spent about three months purchasing all this and other assorted accessories and although a power conditioner is tempting I'll stick with this setup for now. It's time to actually listen to music!

Thanks for your help.

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #809 of 1,055
Matrix mini-i is wonderful!! I use it together with Accuphase E-213 and Musical Fidelity A1 CD-Pro. The sound is fast and crystal clear.

Sep 4, 2011 at 4:23 PM Post #810 of 1,055

Quote:
Thanks for the quick reply, HeatFan12. I was keeping the AudioEngines pumped pretty much all the way up but I'll instead follow your advice and keep them at about 11 o'clock. I'll email Audioengine since I'm curious about why they would recommend this particular volume level. I'm still getting pops when I change inputs but not just as loud because the volume is turned down. At least I'm less likely to do damage to the speakers this way. I'm also wondering whether the power that I'm getting (running through a surge protector) is perhaps the culprit. Anyway, I've spent about three months purchasing all this and other assorted accessories and although a power conditioner is tempting I'll stick with this setup for now. It's time to actually listen to music!

Thanks for your help.

Enjoy!!!

beerchug.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back