Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Jul 3, 2010 at 5:06 PM Post #346 of 1,055
I used to own a Yulong DAH-1 that shares the amp section of the M-Stage; both are Lehmann-"clones". The mini-i does not leave anything to be desired, except the board is not as populated with discrete components. It should do very well with the k271.  

This is not to say the m-stage does not top the mini-i, but it is not night and day. 

Jul 5, 2010 at 1:32 PM Post #347 of 1,055
I´m having Matrix mini i and HD 650 but i still want to update my system with a new amp. I dont really care about the amp is SS or tube, just when it sounds better than Matrix amp. My budget is maximal 300 euro. Until now i find that the little dot mk 2 ( 190 euro ) + 100 euro for modification is the best choice. The M3 is also a good choice. Could someone tell me if there are a better amp than matrix mini at the price of 300 euro.

The M-stage is good but in compare with Matrix mini is not night and day. So i can save my money for a better alternative.

Jul 5, 2010 at 4:44 PM Post #348 of 1,055
Quote:
I´m having Matrix mini i and HD 650 but i still want to update my system with a new amp. I dont really care about the amp is SS or tube, just when it sounds better than Matrix amp. My budget is maximal 300 euro. Until now i find that the little dot mk 2 ( 190 euro ) + 100 euro for modification is the best choice. The M3 is also a good choice. Could someone tell me if there are a better amp than matrix mini at the price of 300 euro.

The M-stage is good but in compare with Matrix mini is not night and day. So i can save my money for a better alternative.

Perhaps you should take a look at this Schiit

Jul 9, 2010 at 4:01 PM Post #349 of 1,055
Don't know if anyone can answer this, but if I were planning to get a LD MK VII in the future, would it be worth it to get the DAC19DF over the Mini-i? My gut is telling me that the DAC19 is overkill for the LD. Sadly, I can't justify buying the higher tier balanced amps.

Jul 16, 2010 at 4:55 AM Post #351 of 1,055
You need a DAC with balanced output in order to fully utilize the LD MKVII. The DAC19DF is single-ended only.
In that case, the Mini-i would be a better choice.

Quote:
Don't know if anyone can answer this, but if I were planning to get a LD MK VII in the future, would it be worth it to get the DAC19DF over the Mini-i? My gut is telling me that the DAC19 is overkill for the LD. Sadly, I can't justify buying the higher tier balanced amps.

Jul 16, 2010 at 6:33 AM Post #352 of 1,055
Jul 16, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #354 of 1,055
Just received my Matrix Mini-I today from another Head-Fi'er.  Using the TOSlink out of my sound card and driving my HD650's for the time being, it's definitely not a terrible headphone amp but it really lacks the detail and extension on both ends of the spectrum.  I'll most likely be pairing it with a Schiit Asgard and Valhalla (or another tube amp) and have high hopes for this little DAC.

Jul 20, 2010 at 9:46 AM Post #355 of 1,055
Keep us posted on the Matrix/Schiit pairing.   I'm in the market for a DAC to pair with the Valhalla.

Bill

Jul 23, 2010 at 2:26 AM Post #357 of 1,055

Quote:
did someone try the Matrix Mini with akg 701 ? if the Mini drive akg 701 better than hd 650 i think i will change headphone. It´s more economic than buying new amp.

I can't imagine it pairing better with the k701 to be honest. The HD650s are far more versatile with amps than the 70x

Jul 23, 2010 at 6:45 AM Post #358 of 1,055
I am looking at purchasing a DAC ( have said this many times, but I can get a real good this time and will jump on it soon I think). I can get Matrix Mini-i for about $360aud or Benchmark DAC1 for $400aud. As I said, a good deal on the DAC1, as it is from a good friend. I will primarily be using: M^3>Nordost Valkyrja interconnect>DT880 600ohm and Sonic Impact T-Amp>Nordost Valkyrja interconnect>AKG K1000 w/ Nordost Valhalla cable.

I am really thinking of getting the Matrix Mini-i, as the DAC1 is said to be a very cold, dull, boring DAC to listen to. I have no idea if this is true or not, but I want a DAC that has fast, tight bass with great control and texture. Mid range that makes you want to sing the lyrics and gets you into the music and highs that extend very far, but are smooth and do not sound tinny or harsh. I will be using RCA out for as much as I know (I have no balanced amps etc) and will use optical input. 

If need be, I could use my Zero DAC for one of these setups, so please don't rule out DAC1 just because it will make a poor pairing with ONE of my headphones. If it makes bad pairing with BOTH, by all means please inform me 
biggrin.gif

I have done a lot of research and I am surprised that the Matrix Mini-i is still on my list. If it weren't for my friend wanting to sell his DAC1, I would buy the Mini-i.

Thanks.

Jul 23, 2010 at 7:57 AM Post #359 of 1,055

Quote:
I am looking at purchasing a DAC ( have said this many times, but I can get a real good this time and will jump on it soon I think). I can get Matrix Mini-i for about $360aud or Benchmark DAC1 for $400aud. As I said, a good deal on the DAC1, as it is from a good friend. I will primarily be using: M^3>Nordost Valkyrja interconnect>DT880 600ohm and Sonic Impact T-Amp>Nordost Valkyrja interconnect>AKG K1000 w/ Nordost Valhalla cable.

I am really thinking of getting the Matrix Mini-i, as the DAC1 is said to be a very cold, dull, boring DAC to listen to. I have no idea if this is true or not, but I want a DAC that has fast, tight bass with great control and texture. Mid range that makes you want to sing the lyrics and gets you into the music and highs that extend very far, but are smooth and do not sound tinny or harsh. I will be using RCA out for as much as I know (I have no balanced amps etc) and will use optical input. 

If need be, I could use my Zero DAC for one of these setups, so please don't rule out DAC1 just because it will make a poor pairing with ONE of my headphones. If it makes bad pairing with BOTH, by all means please inform me 
biggrin.gif

I have done a lot of research and I am surprised that the Matrix Mini-i is still on my list. If it weren't for my friend wanting to sell his DAC1, I would buy the Mini-i.

Thanks.

I'd say hold up for a week or two if you can. Matrix are releasing another DAC within a day or two. Same price range, but with a better amp if I'm not wrong.

The Matrix is supposed to be a more musical DAC, the amp was more an after thought though it is fairly decent.

Jul 23, 2010 at 8:15 AM Post #360 of 1,055
Well, I won't be using the headamp section. Nonetheless I may wait. Depends if I can get DAC1 from friend for less than $400 or not. I am just afraid that it will be too lifeless and cold sounding with K1000 and T-Amp. Especially with Valhalla and Valkyrja cables...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back