Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
May 14, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #316 of 1,055
^ That's what I wanted to hear

I just ordered one on ebay and will let you guys know how it sounds. In the mean time I am hoping a LD MKII will pop up in the for sale section so I can really see what I am missing out on

May 14, 2010 at 2:54 AM Post #317 of 1,055

Quote:
Right now, it's a toss up between LD MK IV amp or the Matirx DAC and am really not sure which would be the better purchase
confused_face_2.gif

It takes more than the LD MK IV to beat the Matrix headphone amp by a notable margin. Just give it a try.

May 15, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #319 of 1,055

I am contemplating buying this amp/dac for my Denon D7000's.... but I dont know if I should spend some more money and get a better amp/dac combo, most i'm willing to spend is $600.  Anyone try the mini-i with the d7000? very curious!

May 15, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #320 of 1,055
     Quote:
The Matrix Mini-i is only £40 more expensive than the M-Stage. Is it a better choice being an amp & dac rather than just the amp of the M-Stage or is a different beast altogether?

I have both.  While the M-Stage really acts as a superior amp, the Mini's amp holds its own quite well.  Depending on your headphones and needs, you might find the amp to be good enough to meet your needs.  I'd suggest first buying the Mini for its great DAC, and if you find that the amp doesn't quite do it for you, you can start saving your pennies for a Matrix or some other amp to compliment the Mini.

May 21, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #321 of 1,055
I'd love to see remote control – this way the Mini-i could be the centre of my hi-hi set-up, feeding a pair of powered speakers, for a fraction of the price of a Grace M902 with remote option or Benchmark DAC1 HDR.

What I'd also love to see is a (switchable) digital processor loop – that way a processor (like the Behringer DEQ2496 I use in my hi-fi set-up) could be applied to any and all of the sources connected into the Mini-i!  There are very few products I can think of that offer this facility (NAD M2 for example – a little outside my budget at the moment).

Quote:
I am planning to customize an upgrade version with 96kHz sampling over USB for those who only uses mini-i with the PCs. Anyone has interest? Any other wishes?

May 22, 2010 at 6:07 AM Post #322 of 1,055
Thanks for this short review!

I'm also considering this DAC/Amp atm to use with my Ultrasone HFI-780.
Though I was wondering if you (or any1 else on here) could perhaps compare the Matrix Mini-i to the Dr. DAC2 DX or the Zero DAC?

At the moment I'm considering bot the Matrix Mini-i and the Dr. DAC2 DX, but I'm leaning more towards the Matrix mini right now (Thanks to Mike at Headfonia.com), but the Zero DAC has also been on my list for quite some time so I was wondering if any1 could tell me how these 3 perform compared to eachother and which one would suite me the best for my equipment...

Any advice?

(I'm a basshead btw, I listen to bass-heavy electronical music only so I would like to know which of these 3 DAC/Amps would be the best improvement to the 780's soundquality without causing a decrease of its bass performance)

May 26, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #324 of 1,055

Quote:
I would also like to know the same thing as Scrivs posted.
I am thinking of getting this amp. So if I get balanced HFI-780 (alo moded)
Will that work fine with this amp?

The Mini-i is a balanced DAC with balanced line out but not a balanced headphone amp.  It's headphone output is SE.  You will need a balanced amp to connect to the Mini-i if you want to drive a balance headphone.

May 26, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #325 of 1,055
I have a problem with my Matrix. I always use Optical output of my Acer Laptop to connect to Matrix at 192 khz. But some how it doesnt want to work today. So i have to set it down to 96 khz. Any suggest to solve this problem? Thanks

May 27, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #327 of 1,055
Thank you Coolfungadget. I have checked the connection. It´s exactly like you said. But i still dont understand why it can work fine with 96 khz but doesnt want to work with 192khz. I always think that digital signal works or not whatever how the connection is.

May 27, 2010 at 12:36 PM Post #328 of 1,055

Quote:
Thank you Coolfungadget. I have checked the connection. It´s exactly like you said. But i still dont understand why it can work fine with 96 khz but doesnt want to work with 192khz. I always think that digital signal works or not whatever how the connection is.

Electricity connection is like your said, work or not. Optical signal may have a middle state, makes it difficult for the receiver to tell whether it's a 1 or 0.

May 28, 2010 at 11:00 AM Post #329 of 1,055
Hey, just bought the matrix DAC after reading the review from headfonia. The review may help you as it provide really accurate impression about matrix mini as well as comparisons with another DAC. http://www.headfonia.com/?p=4386

Truly this is a bang for the bucks :D

Jun 14, 2010 at 9:32 PM Post #330 of 1,055
Folks, has anyone of you tried this passthrough configuration?

WinXP/7, playing a multichannel source -> USB -> Matrix -> SPDIF out -> receiver

It seems that Windows is only recognizing the DAC as a stereo source, not a SPDIF one, so all I'm getting is stereo out.  I have a DTS CD playing through foobar, and an AVI with 5.1 AC3 playing through MPC-HC, and the best I can do is 2-channel.

Is this multichannel passthrough setup even possible with the Matrix? 
TIA!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back