Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
May 8, 2010 at 2:23 AM Post #301 of 1,055
The Mini-i is a nice little unit.
I received mine yesterday, after 4 weeks in shipping, and it both looks and sounds really nice. Not state-of-the-art, but then again it is only $300.

Currently driving a pair of PortaPros, but it will be introduced to my office rig and the K240 Sextett on Monday. :D

May 8, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #302 of 1,055
What's the purpose of the blue power indicator if the display is always ON? It would be useful if there was a "display OFF" mode, maybe the Mini has a secret menu or firmware that we don't know about?

May 8, 2010 at 3:58 AM Post #303 of 1,055

Quote:
i apologize if this question has been covered but is there a "best" setting to use when running the Matrix into another headphone amplifier?  for example shutting headphone amp mode "off", wouldn't that be better?  Or does it not matter?

In theory there is suppose to be a difference  if OFF actually bypasses the volume pot.    With the Mini-i, the pot is not mechanical but digital.    The signal does not pass through carbon tracks or resistors of a physical pot that can effect the sound.   A IC controls the volume.
You may get a cleaner signal in HP OFF mode because the headphone amp is turned off so there is one less operating circuit within the unit that may cause some kind of interference, cross talk or noise.

I have tested this before and I do not think it really makes a difference when using the Mini-i because of the digital pot.

1.  Mini-i HP OFF: used pot on LD MKVII to control volume.
2.  Mini-i HP ON set to max ( 0dB): used pot on LD MKVII to control volume.
3.  Mini-i HP ON, used like a preamp to control volume for the LD MKVII which pot was set to max.

I thought I detected a little difference but I think that was due to the few seconds I stopped to switch settings.  They all sound the same after a few seconds of listening

May 11, 2010 at 2:47 AM Post #306 of 1,055
I got my Shure SHR840 last week. Right now, I only have my Toshiba Qosmio X505 laptop as a source. It has a Conexant Pebble HDA (?? Good luck finding ANYTHING about that codec on Google except for drivers
tongue_smile.gif
). I'm pretty sure it's garbage, but then... I haven't listened to any other soundcard/DAC. Some reviews, though, seem to confirm my theory. Besides, the headphone jack has that "nice" static sound that seems so common on portable computers
mad.gif
. I have my collection of CD ripped to FLAC and some times I listen to >128Kbps internet radios. I listened to different genres, but mainly pop and rock (the likes of Lilly Allen, Katy Perry, Coldplay, Maroon 5, Lady Gaga, etc.).

I discovered this little Matrix unit and really love the comments about it. Do you think this DAC would be a nice match to my Shure's? I'm not soooo worried about the Amp section (although Matrix's one seems pretty good as some said) because the Shure's are only 44Ohm and a little on the sensitive side (102dB). My main concern is to find a DAC/Amp that would improve my laptop's crappy onboard sound, specially the lows. I think it would be a nice first-time purchase, having read lots and lots of the forum's threads (Maverick Tube Magic D1, Head-Direct EF2, Zero DAC, Compass, Audio-Gd Fun... uff...). I just need someone to give me his/hers impressions so I can finally make my mind. Hope you can help me by giving me your opinions or pointing me in the right direction. Thanks!

(PS: this is my first post after entering this magic little world I knew almost nothing about, so if you think that I should put this in a different forum or start my own thread, please tell me. Thanks!)

May 11, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #307 of 1,055
I would rate the DAC section of the mini-i very good. It should be far superiour to your onboard dac far behind. I use the mini-i with the SRH-840 myself and cannot say there is anything left to be desired, give the price point of the matrix.

I drives these and other phones (HD-800 and AH-D7000 in my case) without any effort. Smooth, no edginess though crisp details, great bass impact, nice soundstage. You could not ask for much more.

The headphone amp consists of a TI chip designed for that purpose, and its hard to beat when you consider the price of the package.

My main rig offers a bit more control and air around instruments, but then the headphone amp alone sells for 800 Euros.

So yes, highly recommended. I enjoy it very much,

May 11, 2010 at 3:59 AM Post #308 of 1,055
Just get it
basshead.gif

You will like the amp section just fine with your 840s, and you can add a totally different sounding amp, like a balanced tube later along with better cans if you feel like you need upgrade
evil_smiley.gif

May 12, 2010 at 10:59 PM Post #310 of 1,055
How would a DAC alone compare with replacing a Headphone amp? I am on the verge on purchasing the Matrix DAC but I can only afford a DAC or an amp and not both unfortunately. Would I be better off with first buying an amp like a LD or Darkvoice or just going straight for a DAC? I am using my laptop as my source along with HD650's btw

May 13, 2010 at 2:22 AM Post #311 of 1,055
I am surprised that you bought such power hungry 'phones that need very equipment to sound great without being able to afford a DAC and a separate amp at the same time. Anyway, an amp will provide enough power to them and should drive them nicely, but you will just be amplifying the bad signal, a DAC is needed to provide the amp a clean signal to amplify. I personally would go for the amp, as the HD650 need a very powerful amp that has good synergy with them. Try buying a La Figaro/Darkvoice used for cheap and just buy a cheap DAC to pair it with, like a uDAC. Then later  on, save up for a better, much more expensive DAC, like one from Audi-GD. 

May 13, 2010 at 3:03 AM Post #312 of 1,055

Quote:
How would a DAC alone compare with replacing a Headphone amp? I am on the verge on purchasing the Matrix DAC but I can only afford a DAC or an amp and not both unfortunately. Would I be better off with first buying an amp like a LD or Darkvoice or just going straight for a DAC? I am using my laptop as my source along with HD650's btw

The mini-i s DAC actually is really pretty good. The same is true for the amp. While it is highly integrated it drives my HD-800 like a charm. It should be more than just ok with your headphones. In case you are not satisfied with the amp section there are endless options for dedicated amplification. With its balanced and unbalanced output the mini-i supports them all.

May 13, 2010 at 11:42 AM Post #313 of 1,055
So the Matrix DAC should drive the HD650's proprely by themselves? I will of course invest in a combo amp & dac but I have to choose which one to buy first at the moment. Right now, it's a toss up between LD MK IV amp or the Matirx DAC and am really not sure which would be the better purchase
confused_face_2.gif

May 13, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #315 of 1,055
The Matrix Mini-i can definitely drive the HD650.  It is a decent amp and allow you to enjoy the cans.  It's not the end of the road but it plays decently.  If you hear it yourself and enjoy the sound from the built-in amp, you can use that until you save for a better amp.    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back