Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Apr 23, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #286 of 1,055
I am very familiar with Adam monitors, high quality speakers. Would be great to hear how you think they pair up.

- If you are planning on purchasing the Adam monitors, I would advise you to go with the a7. A far better investment imo, I am sure you won't regret it.

Apr 24, 2010 at 7:52 AM Post #287 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatGazoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am very familiar with Adam monitors, high quality speakers. Would be great to hear how you think they pair up.

- If you are planning on purchasing the Adam monitors, I would advise you to go with the a7. A far better investment imo, I am sure you won't regret it.

Adam recently updated their monitors. The A7 is now A7X with double the amp power. I am getting the A5X. It is smaller and specs is close to the older A7. I think it will be great for desktop listening. With balanced XLR, I can't wait to pair it with the Matrix mini to see how it goes.

Apr 24, 2010 at 8:39 AM Post #288 of 1,055
I know this is a big longshot, but has anyone compared this to the Keces 151?

Anyone in NYC have one I can demo (let's do a mini meet!)?

I love my Keces and LDI+ combo for my D2000 but I'd like to have the option of using multiple sources (my xbox AND computer)

What to do ...

Apr 24, 2010 at 6:59 PM Post #290 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by TopQuark /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do not see the boosted treble on mine. If fact, I plan to pair it with Adam A5X monitors known to be very transparent and having sizzling highs.

I have my Mini-i hooked up somewhat backwards, unbalanced out into a SS headphone amp, and balanced out to some JBL powered near-field studio monitors, sounds great both ways. While the highs are quite detailed, I wouldn't call them forward or harsh at all, very smooth to my ears. Really looking forward to switching to a balanced headphone amp someday.

Apr 25, 2010 at 11:18 AM Post #292 of 1,055
I never noticed any burn-in issues at all on my Mini-i, good or bad, in the DAC or the amp section. But I don't use the amp section much these days. And I do believe in burn-in, generally.

May 3, 2010 at 4:27 PM Post #293 of 1,055
Does anybody around here have details on the CN102s+ chip supposedly used as receiver in the mini-i? Google brought up some chinese links describing a compact hifi system, but no specifics on this chip.

May 5, 2010 at 2:07 AM Post #294 of 1,055
Did anyone noticed a speaker-headphone static "pop" when switching inputs? Its there if there is signal, even at -90 db volume, i tried different outlets-cables but it won't go away, maybe i have a defective unit?

May 6, 2010 at 12:47 PM Post #297 of 1,055
nice, i too saw this and fellin love with the input, cant wait to here compares
also how is the ui, how do you switch between sources, is there a wait?
have you heard the xlr outs?    can you get  xlr adapter to rca so you could have two rca outs?
how does usb compare to musiland10?  i considered that one but i read source switch required patientce.  

is there a calibrated and variable mode for the analog or xlr outputs?

thanks

May 7, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #298 of 1,055
I guess the switching input "pop" is common in digital devices, since is not always in the same channel and not loud enough to be a problem i can live with it. There is a 3 sec. fade in delay after switching and i got used to that too. I tried to connect it straight to my QSC pro amp with XLRs, but i got some hum and buzz, i think is a ground problem, with my unbalanced amps the Mini is dead quiet. I only get some noise from USB, at -15 to 0, it seems that's computer noise. Not bad for what it is but i lost some remote control functionality, I've always had HQ preamps with build in DACs and Headphone amps before, i never thought about preamps, DACs, phone amps, and phono amps as separate units.

May 7, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #299 of 1,055
XLR to RCA adapters can be used.

In headphone amp ON mode, volume knob controls all outputs.

To get into setup mode, push volume knob in and hold while turning on power.  Make your selection by turning the knob and press to select.

Switch between inputs by pushing in volume knob.

I do not have the Musiland to compare though I have heard good things about it.  I am considering buying the Musiland USB/SPDIF to go before the Mini-i. 
I have tried switching between optical and coax from the same CDP and found no difference in sound.  All cables and connects are basic that came with equipment.

May 8, 2010 at 12:12 AM Post #300 of 1,055
i apologize if this question has been covered but is there a "best" setting to use when running the Matrix into another headphone amplifier?  for example shutting headphone amp mode "off", wouldn't that be better?  Or does it not matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back