Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Apr 20, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #271 of 1,055
I'm very interested in a 24bit/96khz version via USB. Please keep us posted. Maybe a price estimate?
smily_headphones1.gif

Could anyone tell me how the Mini-I compares to the iBasso D4 / D10?

Apr 20, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #272 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by okthxbye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could anyone tell me how the Mini-I compares to the iBasso D4 / D10?

I can only compare to the D3. Amp side is like two different animals. D3 is more dynamic, punchy, sharp. Mini-i is smooth, mellow, warm. You can say SS vs. tube sounding.

DAC side, Mini-i best the D3 in most aspects. Especially when driving speakers. Again this is all to my ears.

Apr 21, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #276 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by bastogne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
does the track info only display on the matrix when using USB?

I currently am using a toslink from macbook and there is no track info displaying on the matrix mini-i display.

You need to use S/PDIF ports (coaxial, optical) and your source needs to support sub-code.

Apr 21, 2010 at 6:57 AM Post #277 of 1,055
"I'm curious Gazoo regarding your post - are you running balanced XLR straight to the mackie's or are you going through a preamp / soundboard? I would suggest something like the M2tech Hiface BNC edition to go from usb to BNC - the reduced jitter may help in your case."

Nope
smily_headphones1.gif
As mentioned I haven't tried the balanced XLR outputs yet, but when I get a pair of new cables, I am planning to use the XLR (I am moving within the next 14 days, so Im waiting to get the new cables until Ive seen the new room). The balanced outputs was one of the reasons I chose the Matrix. I might even add a pair af passive units and an amp through the RCA output and see how that works out.

And yea at the moment I run the RCA through a mixer (no preamp) just for the conversion (RCA to 1/4" jack). I am aware of the advantages of M2tech and I might be running a similar solution in a near future, but it shouldn't be impossible to get decent sound through USB.

Other than that, Im giving the Matrix some benefit of the doubt since I have discovered that I have a minor power-problem at the moment. Not sure how I am going to tackle this (the Mackies have A/B class amp, so Im not sure whether a mains conditioner would be a good idea, but thats a whole new story
smily_headphones1.gif
)

Apr 21, 2010 at 7:48 AM Post #278 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I can only compare to the D3. Amp side is like two different animals. D3 is more dynamic, punchy, sharp. Mini-i is smooth, mellow, warm. You can say SS vs. tube sounding.

DAC side, Mini-i best the D3 in most aspects. Especially when driving speakers. Again this is all to my ears.

Thanks!
I listen mostly to (indie)rock, and electronic music (IDM, techno, dubstep). Will the Matrix suit my needs or will an iBasso be better for that? I don't care about portability, I'd like to spend my money on the best possible.

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:04 AM Post #279 of 1,055
Then I guess it comes down to personal taste and the whole system package. Including source and headphones. For me, the D3 is just fine straight out of my laptop to any of my headphones. I like what this little portable can do a lot. It has the fun factor for rock, electronica, and techno. But in other genres the D3 just doesn't have the depth, spaciousness and imaging of the Mini-i. The D3 can also be more fatiguing than the Mini-i when used for hours like I do. Again this is my ears and I don't listen very loud and my ears can be a little sensitive at times.

Apr 21, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #280 of 1,055
I have Alessandro MS-1i's now, and planning to get Denon D2000's sometime later.

I'm using FLAC's (some even 24bit, although I don't know if I can hear the difference with a setup like this).

With my musical tastes and setup, will the Matrix Mini-i be a good idea? Or should I look at the iBasso's, or even something else?

Sorry for having to ask like this, but I'm kinda new to this stuff, and would want to get the best bang for my ~250/300 bucks.

Apr 21, 2010 at 11:22 AM Post #281 of 1,055
Well, I have decided to connect this entire setup to a quality power conditioner. The computer, DAC and monitors will then all get proper power supply, with no interference or static. In the new setup I will also eliminate the mixer-conversion and connect the mackies and the DAC directly through high quality shielded XLR. And while Im at it, I will replace the USB cable with a new and better one (m2tech would be a nice addition, but again, it should be possible to get decent sound through USB). I will still be playing bit-perfect .wav-files.

- I will post an update within 20 days when the setup has moved to it's new location...

Apr 21, 2010 at 12:14 PM Post #282 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by okthxbye /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have Alessandro MS-1i's now, and planning to get Denon D2000's sometime later.

I'm using FLAC's (some even 24bit, although I don't know if I can hear the difference with a setup like this).

With my musical tastes and setup, will the Matrix Mini-i be a good idea? Or should I look at the iBasso's, or even something else?

Sorry for having to ask like this, but I'm kinda new to this stuff, and would want to get the best bang for my ~250/300 bucks.

My D3 is very capable in driving those two headphones. Grados are a little harsh for me if paired with the D3. I think with the D4 and D10 you can get the sound you want with OpAmps so thats probably not an issue.

If going balance is not in your future and the need for different ins and outs then saving some money with the ibasso may be the thing. Their quality and sound is bang for your buck. Then again so is the Mini-i If you need to do other things with a Dac. There are people who claim the Mini-i rivals some $1000+ Dacs. If have no need for the extras, stick with ibasso.

Apr 22, 2010 at 11:53 AM Post #283 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatGazoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the sound,...............and I have convinced myself that the low frequencies has tightened up a bit. But I still find the treble too boosted and harsh, so I am hoping it will gain more control in this area.

I'm just new to CAS and use the Mini-i as an USB DAC output to existing Pre+power Amp/Speaker system via RCA. I tried the built-in USB input and also Teralink X2 + optical/coaxial cables.

Actually, I have the same feelings as your descriptions above. Compared to my aged Luxman DAC (which accepts upto 24/48 only), the mini-i wins in most of the areas but it sounds relatively "dry" and not that musical. Also, I found that Teralink X2 performs much better than the built-in USB input, since I can use different optical/coaxial cables to fine tune the sound.

I have not yet tried the XLR or the headphone outputs, may be the sound characteristic are different. I've seen some comments for another DAC from Matrix that their XLR outputs are much much better than the RCA outputs.

Apr 23, 2010 at 10:10 AM Post #284 of 1,055
The 'bread and butter' of this DAC is the balanced out, that's why it's a fully balanced design. Which is why I am planning on purchasing some fully balanced power amplifiers for my Wharfedale OpusII-3's in a month or so.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #285 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGreatGazoo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But I still find the treble too boosted and harsh, so I am hoping it will gain more control in this area.
In a perfect world the next 48 hours will bring more dynamics, continue to boost/tighten the bass, and replace the harsh treble-boost with actual clearness, detail and tranparency
biggrin.gif
Hope is cheap

I do not see the boosted treble on mine. If fact, I plan to pair it with Adam A5X monitors known to be very transparent and having sizzling highs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back