Apr 8, 2010 at 2:09 AM Post #241 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfungadget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
[No]

[Push the volume knob, turn, push again. Pretty easy]

[I've PMed you the discounted price]

Thank you

the 1st question wasn't a deal breaker.

I need to sell some stuff to raise money for this.

I'll be getting a hold of you shortly.

Thank you

Apr 8, 2010 at 4:30 AM Post #242 of 1,055
Damn !!
Let me know if you have any update. I'm looking forward for your new product
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyways, do you know when this gonna come out ?

Apr 11, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #243 of 1,055
The more I read this thread the more I think it'll be a good compliment for my computer setup. A cheap 1 box solution that no only sounds good by itself but has upgradability to a balanced amp down the road... Decisions!

Apr 11, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #244 of 1,055
I'm not a person to go by looks, but it's between this and the maverick d1. I just want to know one thing, has anyone here tried to power some D2000s with this?

I know some people think those headphones are easy to power, but I beg to differ. Nothing brings them out as good as my LDI+, but since I'm in the mood to consolidate my collection, do you think it'll give me a similar sound (is there a tube sound at all through the HP amp)?

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:21 PM Post #245 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by roker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some questions:

1) Are there selectable outputs?
-I'm trying to run the unbalanced to speakers and balanced to a headphone amp and I don't want them working at the same time.

Not really. They work simultaneously. (which is no problem as you can mute the speakers or the other out - I can not see any signal degradation if both are used)

Just tried :

>unbalanced out to BOSE amplified computer speakers (RCA cable).
>balanced out to Violectric HPA V100 headphone amp.

The mini HP amp drives HD 800 easily (I listen at -20dB position ).
I believe mini should have no problems driving your DENON HF as well.
Although no match to Violectric HPA V100, the mini amp is surprisingly very good.
The DAC is also very good.
I use M2Hiface BNC with it.

I can not think of a better combo for the money.
normal_smile .gif

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #246 of 1,055
I made my decision and bought one of these... It has been a while since I got any new gear so this will be fun. I'm curious to see how this will compare to my older n_maher built monica 2 dac and gilmore lite that i'm currently using.

Waterlogic: do you find that the M2Hiface provides a noticeable improvement over the regular USB connection on the mini-i?

Apr 11, 2010 at 6:53 PM Post #247 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by ak622 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I made my decision and bought one of these... It has been a while since I got any new gear so this will be fun. I'm curious to see how this will compare to my older n_maher built monica 2 dac and gilmore lite that i'm currently using.

Waterlogic: do you find that the M2Hiface provides a noticeable improvement over the regular USB connection on the mini-i?

Actually, I have not tried the USB for I have a lot of hires files (usb is redbook only). But I tried the Mini with both versions of M2tech Hiface the Coax and the BNC.

MINI has a BNC in (you get a converter BNC to RCA in the box ). I first tried it with Hiface Coax using the BNC to RCA converter and RCA coax cable.

Last week I got the Hiface BNC and a 75 Ohm BNC cable (10 Euro for 1.5m). It is much better with BNC. With this setup looks the MINI gets better input.
I know that the nature of RCA does not grant 75 Ohm on the connection, where BNC does it. Anyway I strongly suggest you go BNC if you intend using Hiface.

Apr 11, 2010 at 7:49 PM Post #248 of 1,055
Thanks for the reply waterlogic. At first, I was looking at the Hiface because my Monica 2 dac accepts coax RCA only, so I was thinking of using that as the connection piece to the dac. But seeing how the Mini-i has a USB connection and a decent amp from what I've read, I want to see how it compares. However, if I like my current system, I think I will pick up the Hiface and use the mini-i as my bedside system.

Quote:

Originally Posted by waterlogic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I have not tried the USB for I have a lot of hires files (usb is redbook only). But I tried the Mini with both versions of M2tech Hiface the Coax and the BNC.

MINI has a BNC in (you get a converter BNC to RCA in the box ). I first tried it with Hiface Coax using the BNC to RCA converter and RCA coax cable.

Last week I got the Hiface BNC and a 75 Ohm BNC cable (10 Euro for 1.5m). It is much better with BNC. With this setup looks the MINI gets better input.
I know that the nature of RCA does not grant 75 Ohm on the connection, where BNC does it. Anyway I strongly suggest you go BNC if you intend using Hiface.

Apr 12, 2010 at 5:57 AM Post #249 of 1,055
"Quote:
1) Are there selectable outputs?
-I'm trying to run the unbalanced to speakers and balanced to a headphone amp and I don't want them working at the same time.
---End Quote---
Not really. They work simultaneously."

I do the opposite, running the balanced out to my JBL monitors, and the RCA out to my X-Head headphone amp. This works great, you can just turn one of them off if you like or keep them both on without affecting SQ in any way or the headphone out either. And when I get a balanced amp to replace the X-Head, I will reverse the situation, because the JBLs go "both ways".

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #250 of 1,055
Looking for some help: I'm trying to connect my MacBook Pro via optical out to the Matrix, I have the Optical Output selected in my Sound preferences, yet I continue to see "No Sample" on the Matrix display. I confirmed that the optical in is working on the unit by hooking something else to it.

Any ideas, folks? Is there some setting on the Mac that's not right?

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:02 AM Post #251 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking for some help: I'm trying to connect my MacBook Pro via optical out to the Matrix, I have the Optical Output selected in my Sound preferences, yet I continue to see "No Sample" on the Matrix display. I confirmed that the optical in is working on the unit by hooking something else to it.

Any ideas, folks? Is there some setting on the Mac that's not right?

Try System Preferences>Sound>Output>Digital Out; If that does not work, try booting up Audio MIDI Setup from Applications>Utilities and exploring the actual output settings.

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:01 PM Post #252 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by grokit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try System Preferences>Sound>Output>Digital Out; If that does not work, try booting up Audio MIDI Setup from Applications>Utilities and exploring the actual output settings.

Thanks for replying. I managed to fix it by removing com.apple.soundpref.plist from my Preferences folder, and sweet beautiful music started to flow to the Matrix. I'm loving this thing so far...

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:26 PM Post #253 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by rocque /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for replying. I managed to fix it by removing com.apple.soundpref.plist from my Preferences folder, and sweet beautiful music started to flow to the Matrix. I'm loving this thing so far...

if you do not know about "Play" music player for Mac, here it is and it is free:

Play from sbooth.org

It senses bit/sample rate automatically.

(you can open Audio Midi Setup and observe how bit/sr is being changed when you play files with different bit/sr - should be shown on Matrix display too))
All you need to do is grab files from your itunes and drag them into the Play lower window. Than you take files from the lower window into the upper and double click the first one, all following files are played in sequence (gapless) - (no need to define separate library for Play - by dragging files from itunes you just point Play to the files already being on your HDD)

Make sure you enable "Automatically adjust sample rate" under Play's Preferences.

Enjoy !

Apr 16, 2010 at 10:11 AM Post #254 of 1,055
Any comparison of the mini dac vs DacMagic dac ??

I intend to walk the cheapest balanced route, which is ld mk vii+ and the mini dac, but when I got my dacmagic, i didn't knew of the existance of the mini at all =(

Apr 16, 2010 at 11:02 AM Post #255 of 1,055
First of all thanks to all of you for all the info I have gotten here the last few months.

As the perfect leech I am, I have now created a user because I have a few questions
smily_headphones1.gif

Im not a head-fi-kinda-guy, but I found this site while I was looking for a new DAC. After a lot of reading I also decided to try out this little ******, and I got it this morning. I will consider posting some thoughts about it later on, but because of the few problems I have encountered I will wait a little, so I don't jump the gun on anything
smily_headphones1.gif

The first thing that didn't seem right to me was the fact that the second I connected it to my laptop, it showed "44.1 khz" even though I didn't feed it any signal? And then when I played a DVD it continued to show 44.1 khz?

Other than that the left output was dead!... BUT thankfully it seems to be the cable, so hopefully tomorrow I can report back and tell that a new cable did the trick
smily_headphones1.gif

- The only thing I will say regarding the sound quality at this moment is that I am having a very hard time recognizing the "smoothness" Ive heard a lot of people mention (unless "smooth" means lack of depth and low frequencies). But let's see if some hours will change it's character a bit (not quite convinced about DAC break/burn in, but Im hoping to see some changes here).
Just for the record; I am using the Matrix as sound card for my Vaio when Im listening to music on my Mackie HR824 monitors. (And they are unforgiving - and so am I
wink.gif
)

Well, Im hoping someone can comment on the 44.1 khz-thing soon. Have a nice weekend peeps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back