Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Feb 21, 2010 at 12:56 AM Post #123 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by bastogne /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yea, im pulling the trigger on this tomorrow. although it would be nice to have some more feedback on it before i do so.

You have nine pages of feedback b...lol

Matrix is a nice total package. Great headphone out, inputs, outputs galore, great service from Jeffrey (coolfungadget)...oh and great sound...

I exchanged PMs with soulrider4ever, in reference to V-DAC and Matrix. Love em' both, but for the versatility and smooth sound the Matrix produces, Matrix FTW...

beerchug.gif

Feb 21, 2010 at 3:30 AM Post #124 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeatFan12 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Matrix is a nice total package. Great headphone out, inputs, outputs galore, great service from Jeffrey (coolfungadget)...oh and great sound...

Well said, I have fun with other stuff but there's something about the Matrix I keep coming back to.

Feb 21, 2010 at 7:13 PM Post #126 of 1,055
Well, I pulled the trigger on one, and I'm also going to order the M2Tech Hiface USB to S/PDIF converter, and a Belden BNC>BNC cable from BJC... will probably be a few weeks, but I'll post my impressions then. I'll comapre to emu 0404usb and nuforce udac.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #128 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by demo1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can someone tell me how this pairs up against the PICO AMP/DAC? The headphone out is my prime concern.

I have never heard the Pico but just keep in mind that these two items are in two different classes.

Pico is Hi-end name brand. Portable amp/USB DAC. Expensive.

Matrix is virgin brand from China. Desk top DAC with 4 input and balanced output. Bang for your buck.

If you are asking about just the headphone out, then all I can say is that it sounds warm and smooth like a tube more than SS. I peeked inside and the headphone amp is nothing special. Doesn't look at all impressive, more like a after thought. It's sound though is unique.

Feb 24, 2010 at 12:05 PM Post #129 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
t's sound though is unique.

Smoooth as buttah!

Feb 25, 2010 at 9:57 PM Post #130 of 1,055
Just got it, only been a couple hours listening, but holy #@$% this thing makes the udac and emu sound like pieces of poop in comparison, I haven't even got this going balanced cables yet either... will need to do a nice review for this thing for sure...

Feb 25, 2010 at 10:21 PM Post #131 of 1,055
Damn. There are too many DACs/AMPs to choose from. I heard the Beresford TC-7520 is one of the best combos you can get for this price range. Does anyone know how it stacks up against the Matrix Mini? I heard the Matrix is quite weak in terms of its HP amp.

Feb 26, 2010 at 8:10 AM Post #132 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by demo1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn. There are too many DACs/AMPs to choose from. I heard the Beresford TC-7520 is one of the best combos you can get for this price range. Does anyone know how it stacks up against the Matrix Mini? I heard the Matrix is quite weak in terms of its HP amp.

The Matrix is second to hardly anything SQ-wise (edit; in it's class; never heard the Beresford), but power-wise they drive my HD600 adequately but may have trouble with the HD650s, which need a little more gain/impedance/voltage/current/whatever. So I think that may be about the cutoff as to what spec headphone the Matrix can properly drive, if that makes any sense at all
biggrin.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 9:47 AM Post #133 of 1,055
The Matrix mini looks like it is a damn good DAC for the price. Are there any noticably better DAC (don't need hp amp built in) when you get into the $300-$400 range? I think I may upgrade my Zero to a better DAC once I get some money. Either that or get a new graphics card for my comp or some more headphones to compare just for fun. I want balanced becausein the future I plan on buying a balanced SS amp ($400 or so as well) that I will use with other cans, not my Grado's. Needs to be 220v-240v. Might just go the DAC_I>MKVII+ if that is the best value for money setup.

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:18 AM Post #134 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by stang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Might just go the DAC_I>MKVII+ if that is the best value for money setup.

I haven't seen a better combo, and I remember reading in a thread that the DAC_1 has reportedly comparable SQ to the Matrix. I am looking at the same thing, except I need the extra oomph of the original VII over the VII+ version because of my HE-5s, as they are quite current-hungry
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 27, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #135 of 1,055
WHy not just get the EF-5? I'd like to own the MKVII+ because it will be better suited with the cans I like: Grado and Ultrasone. Never tried Sennheiser AKG nor Denon, as for the kind of music I listen to (metal) AKG would be terrible. Sennheiser HD600 wouldn't do too bad I don't think, so I would love to try them some day. As for the Denon's, it is really a Denon vs Ultrasone thing here. I am going to a meet on March 20 and a memberis bringing his Denon D5000, so that should be fun to compare to my ALO-780
biggrin.gif
I really do want to get into other genre's, but it needs to be fast paced, not slow. That would vastly expand the types of headphone I would get, but that tie has not come yet
frown.gif
I got my Grado's for most of my metal collection and my ALO-780 for some other metal like Metallica where the extra bass can make the song sound very, very nice. I also sometimes crave that extra soundstage.

When I put on te Ultrasones after hearing the Grado's, there is so much more detail, bass and soundstage, mking the Grado's sound quite poor in comparison. I hope Jumbos for my HF-2 and a new DAC will improve upon the soundstage I have and improve in details. Looking at the DAC_I a lot. People say it is more detailed and colder than the Matrix. The matrix has a warm, sightly less detailed sound to it. I am leaning toward the LD DAC_I, but I wonder if it is a noticable upgrade from my Zero.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back