Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Dec 12, 2009 at 12:07 AM Post #76 of 1,055
Have a look at this
smily_headphones1.gif

http://www.affordableaudio.org/issues.html

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:23 AM Post #77 of 1,055
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this. Does anyone know what the customs charges(if any) are to the US?

Dec 13, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #79 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by fenixdown110 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this. Does anyone know what the customs charges(if any) are to the US?

US people will more or less never get hit with custom fees. It is cheaper to import to the US than to other countries.

Dec 13, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #80 of 1,055
Ok. Good to know. Now I need to find gear to sell to fund this thing.
biggrin.gif

When in pre-mode, the dac and amp are both working and outputting to the headphone out, right?

Dec 13, 2009 at 9:24 AM Post #81 of 1,055
I've purchased items in the $200-300 range a few times the past year from China and Japan and haven't been asked to pay a customs charge yet. Never really looked into the criteria for it since it hasn't come up.

Dec 17, 2009 at 12:32 PM Post #83 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But the finish is a little too shiny and heavily textured for my tastes, and it looks sparkly, and I'm guessing it's painted or powder coated? If you offer a chassis kit to swap it into a black enclosure for a reasonable fee I'd be interested.

I just ordered one and was given a choice between black or silver from CoolFunGadgets; I took black.

Dec 21, 2009 at 6:47 AM Post #88 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by sunneebear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You do know that it is a line level output and not designed to drive anything like headphones.

Those outputs work awesome for my JBL Control 2P Active Reference Monitors with balanced-inputs
icon10.gif
!

Best computer speakers I have ever heard in the near field, and they are 2.0

Dec 22, 2009 at 9:11 PM Post #89 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by tonho_rp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thats pretty much the only thing that is holding me back.. Let me know when you try it.

Just made a set of cables so I don't have to go through a series of adapters. Didn't really sit down to carefully listen yet but it seems there is nowhere near enough voltage to drive a headphone. Although it does sound quite good, volume must be near max to be listenable.

Dec 25, 2009 at 3:05 PM Post #90 of 1,055
Has anyone had the chance to compare Matrix to the Little Dot Dac 1 purely from a DAC point of view (LDot has no headamp)?

I'm looking for an affordable balanced out DAC and these two are the prime candidates in my price league! Both seem really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back