Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Oct 23, 2009 at 8:05 AM Post #61 of 1,055
Thank you very much, sunneebear!
smily_headphones1.gif

Did I understand you right, that you can't turn the headphone amp off and only use the preamp?

best regards,
bearmann

Oct 23, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #63 of 1,055
Hmmm... that'd be a serious design flaw because you'd have to turn of your monitors/boxes to listen with your phones and vice versa. That's bad.
frown.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:22 PM Post #64 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm... that'd be a serious design flaw because you'd have to turn of your monitors/boxes to listen with your phones and vice versa. That's bad.
frown.gif

I don't quite understand what you mean buy that.

Actually I think that the Matrix is mainly a balanced DAC with the added feature of having a headphone amp. It is marketed as such. Though the headphone amp is not it's strong suit, it just so happens that it sounds pretty damn good. It was never said to be a pre-amp. I just found out that it works very well as one.

I bought the Matrix for being a balance DAC with the intention of getting a balance amp like the Beta 22 some time in the future. I would use the Matrix with my Rudistor NX-03 and other amps in the mean time. Even before buying I had the impression that the headphone amp of the Matrix was just a added extra, a after thought. As it turned out, I ended up liking the headphone out so much that I sold my Rudi and other amps to fund future purchases.

Oct 23, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #65 of 1,055
Wait a minute. I never said it'd be a bad DAC nor did I say the Matrix mini-i would be a bad headphone amp - I never heard the device for myself.
What I meant is that: Imagine that you have your monitors and a headphone both plugged into the Matrix mini-i and you want to listen to some music through your monitors AND you want to adjust the volume with the Matrix mini-i but you DON'T want to have music on your headphones. Well, as you made clear, you can't do this with the Matrix mini-i.
Unfortunately this is a feature I (!) need. And for me (!) it's sad that the Matrix mini-i can't do this. That's all...

best regards.
bearmann

Oct 26, 2009 at 9:42 PM Post #67 of 1,055
In meantime I take for test NorthStar DAC 192 and maybe next DAC shopping will me move into far future. But I have to spend much more time on listening this Italian masterpiece.

Nov 25, 2009 at 9:58 AM Post #68 of 1,055
Nov 25, 2009 at 12:08 PM Post #70 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
frown.gif

You'll need separate volume for the main outputs, and second volume for the hps. You can try the NI Kontrol 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back