Matrix Mini-i Balanced DAC+HP amp
Oct 15, 2009 at 4:28 AM Post #46 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfungadget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Think about MacBook. The silver mini-i doesn't look cheap at all.

The Macbook Pro is (I'd guess) abrasive blasted and anodized, it has a matte finish, very subtle texture and of course the lines are sexy as hell. An awesome computer in form and function.

I think the Matrix looks very nice, the form factor is nice, it's a good size and seems well built for the money - and I really dig the VFD. But the finish is a little too shiny and heavily textured for my tastes, and it looks sparkly, and I'm guessing it's painted or powder coated? If you offer a chassis kit to swap it into a black enclosure for a reasonable fee I'd be interested.

Overall I'm a very happy customer and would recommend it to others for sure. The only other nitpick I have would be that the volume control I think is linear, an exponential control would be nice, or even if the software is sensitive to how long its been turned and speeds it up the longer you are turning it; like a slow mode and a fast mode (sunfire does that with the encoder on the theater grands, its kind of nice).

Rob

Oct 20, 2009 at 2:02 AM Post #47 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Macbook Pro is (I'd guess) abrasive blasted and anodized, it has a matte finish, very subtle texture and of course the lines are sexy as hell. An awesome computer in form and function.

I think the Matrix looks very nice, the form factor is nice, it's a good size and seems well built for the money - and I really dig the VFD. But the finish is a little too shiny and heavily textured for my tastes, and it looks sparkly, and I'm guessing it's painted or powder coated? If you offer a chassis kit to swap it into a black enclosure for a reasonable fee I'd be interested.

Overall I'm a very happy customer and would recommend it to others for sure. The only other nitpick I have would be that the volume control I think is linear, an exponential control would be nice, or even if the software is sensitive to how long its been turned and speeds it up the longer you are turning it; like a slow mode and a fast mode (sunfire does that with the encoder on the theater grands, its kind of nice).

Rob

Replacing the chassis is easy. It will involve 16 screws on the case, 4 screws on the board, a wire and a plug to the LCD. Whom wants to buy a new chassis please PM me.

Oct 20, 2009 at 12:20 PM Post #48 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by robzr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only other nitpick I have would be that the volume control I think is linear, an exponential control would be nice, or even if the software is sensitive to how long its been turned and speeds it up the longer you are turning it; like a slow mode and a fast mode (sunfire does that with the encoder on the theater grands, its kind of nice).

When I first got the Matrix I wanted the volume knob to be like Sony's input knob on their DAT and MD units. If you turn it slow it changes by increments of one. Turn it fast then it jumps by five or ten for example. After spending time with the Matrix it's fine just the way it is. So easy to overlook something like the volume knob because I enjoy the sound so much.

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #49 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr@ntz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Today I ordered Matrix mini. I hope that soon I will can write some first impresions of it. I've got Zhaolu 2.5 and few weeks ago I had for over 2 weeks Stello DA100 Signature and Theta DSPro Generation V. For now Stello is the winner, but maybe Matrix .....

Unfortunately after over 3 weeks i still haven't my Matrix :frowning2: Is there anybody who wait so long for his DAC?

Oct 21, 2009 at 11:05 AM Post #50 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fr@ntz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Unfortunately after over 3 weeks i still haven't my Matrix :frowning2: Is there anybody who wait so long for his DAC?

Sorry buddy, s**t happens... This is the longest shipping for me too. Possibly because of the UK workers strike.

Oct 21, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #52 of 1,055
Mudshark,

Volume steps go from -90 to 0.

I have ordered many things from many parts of Asia and have never been taxed. I once had an item stuck in customs over a holiday and that was the worst.

Oct 21, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #54 of 1,055
Hi, great, so 90 steps, that's good, thanks for the info!

I am trying to decide between the Matrix and the Compass for a desktop headphone system (Senn HD650) that is fed via Toslink out of my computer.

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:13 AM Post #55 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfungadget /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sorry buddy, s**t happens... This is the longest shipping for me too. Possibly because of the UK workers strike.

Yeah, but I'm too stubborn
wink.gif
So, I'll wait for new delivery and try again.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #56 of 1,055
Hi, some little questions...

1. Is the balanced out fixed or can I adjust the volume?
2. How is the construction and gain of the headphone amp? Is it solely opamp based, or does it have some kind of buffer? What's the opamp used?
3. Is the volume control digital or analog?

Thanks guys.
bearmann

Oct 22, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #57 of 1,055
Quote:

Originally Posted by bearmann /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, some little questions...

1. Is the balanced out fixed or can I adjust the volume?
2. How is the construction and gain of the headphone amp? Is it solely opamp based, or does it have some kind of buffer? What's the opamp used?
3. Is the volume control digital or analog?

Thanks guys.
bearmann

1. Both. Selectable
2. Construction of electronics is very good/ chassis is good but not up to par of other high-end designs but I rather not pay a $100 just for a fancy chassis. I am not clear of the technical aspects of the amp itself.
3. Volume is digital.

Oct 22, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #59 of 1,055
Thanks sunnybear, but you got me wrong on the second question.
smily_headphones1.gif

What I want to know is which opamp is used as headphone amp and if the headphone amp section consists of just one or two opamps or are there any kind of buffers?

Next question: Which chip is used for digital volume control?

Thanks alot!

best regards,
bearmann

Oct 22, 2009 at 10:26 PM Post #60 of 1,055
Headphone amp ON also sets outputs as pre-amp. Headphone amp OFF sets outputs as straight DAC.

OP275/OPA2134 opamps NOT replaceable. That's all that is listed in the specs. I do not know anything else about the inner workings of the Matrix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back